Whats The Kenwood KR 5200 Rate out there?

lebloom

Been looking for a new receiver and have run onto a KR 5200. What's everyone rate this receiver? I know its 40 years old but that's not my problem with it because I like the older models. Looks like its very powerful with 260 watts.

The power rating is pre- 1974 FTC regulations; it's far, far less powerful than that in terms of "RMS" watts (continuous power).

Perfectly OK receiver with a good tuner. I used to have a KR-4200 (one model down).
Looks like 30 wpc continuous into 8 ohms: http://www.hifiengine.com/library/kenwood/kr-5200.shtml

kenwood_KR7200-6200-5200_large.jpg

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54186
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54508

Last edited:
A well-built little unit for its time. Split supplies, direct-coupled output with speaker protection relay, and a cutting edge choice of components. Yep, only 30WPC, but should be a decent sounding 30 watts.

Worth the $150 they want for it including the shipping? This one looks like its in great shape but I'm not the best of judgement always. It has 4 gangs and 3 filters. Been trying to find out what that really means. Must be something about how powerful it is.

I was debating between this 5200 and a Pioneer SX 650. I like the pioneers but I'd like to find something a little stronger to put out in my garage. But something says the Kenwoods somewhat better.

The SX650's pretty mundane and much newer/more chintzy in physical quality. I cannot imagine spending 150 smackers on a KR-5200, though -- unless maybe Echowars rehabb'ed it!

The four gangs and three filters refers to the FM circuitry; simply put, it's a more sophisticated design than, e.g., the Pioneer SX-650 - which I am pretty danged sure has a three-gang FM tuning capacitor - the benefits should be in terms of selectivity (ability to resolve stations). Kenwood was and presumably still is a radio company first and foremost; their tuners tend to be better than average.

As an aside: I didn't know that the 5200 had split power supplies (like the KA-7100, two sets of secondary windings in the PT, Echowars?) - that speaks well for its oompf relative to the SX-650.

Last edited:
I have a KR-5200 and am very happy with it. It sounds really great at low levels, but not as great at medium to high volumes. I think it could benefit from some work on the caps. It still handily beat out my Realistic STA-2600 receiver and my Rotel RX-875 receiver. It looks great also.

The 5200 power supply is laudable only in that Kenwood was using +/- supplies for the output stage and a DC connection to the speakers at a time when most low-to-midrange units were using a single positive supply for the output stage and a capacitor-coupled connection to the speakers.

That, plus the choice of individual components, put these models (5200, 6200, 7200) a bit ahead of their time. Come 1976 or so, the 'features' found here would be taken for granted in even the bottom-feeder models. But for their time...

Well, I went ahead and bought this receiver. Ill see how great it is when I get it. The seller gave a warranty so it can't be all bad. Now I need to buy me another set of speakers, lol.

I cannot imagine spending 150 smackers on a KR-5200, though -- unless maybe Echowars rehabb'ed it!
Strange that in 2014 professional electronics HIFI working hours rate were still under-appreciated by about 1000% compared to local (EU here) electrician, plumber, roof worker's job. Hope this will change soon. After all Vintage HIFI is a cheaper way to stay healthy & sane in 2021 than hoping for this or that magic but costly "medicine" to fix us a road back to the "old normal".
Imagining smackers were to be Euro's or USD for that matter, indeed spending that on a raw KR-5200 in 2020 given the fact that it will at best sound "warm & vintage" is a bit useless unless one is prepared to learn electronics or to pay another 400-700 smackers "honest paid professional job".

Then again 100+ smackers for a nice looking, intact woordowork but non working copy would be more interesting than paying 12 smackers / piece for a set of buttons of ebay, just because some house cleaner/mover (again paid more than the average HIFI repair person) decided to let the originals kiss concrete tiles.

This is just written to appreciate the position of good technicians that put their heart in advising here and with some hope to create a change of attitude so that more people may decide to make a living repairing, revitalizing and upgrading vintage HIFI.

I have a KR-5200 but if for the same money one can find the KR-7200 the only thing that will be worse is that the KR-7200 has probably seen heavier use as is the case with many top of the line unites.

Back
Top Bottom