Kenwood L-07C and L-07CII

redcoates7

still learning...
There was some conversation about these the other day, so I pulled a couple of project units out to post some pics.

Both of these are in need of a recap and a good cleaning, but still make music. A really solid design, and way better built than any stereo preamp Kenwood made after 1985 (with the exception of the L-1000C, which is pretty awesome)

Huge linear power supply, and completely dual mono construction from power supply to outputs.

Chassis is designed to be serviceable, with easy access to the component's solder joints from the (labeled!) basckside of the circuit board.

Controls are easily cleaned wafer switches, or completely sealed high-end controls for volume/gain.

Internally there are some differences between the two units...a big copper ground plane on the L-07CII instead of steel on the L-07C. Some updated internal components too. Definitely close cousins, but the II is an update, following Kenwood' pursuit of higher bandwidth...they just LOVED those super "fast" DC amplifiers until the late 80s...

Inputs and outputs are the same on both units, and both are pretty stripped down...no headphone amp, no selectable cartridge loading, no mono switch. The MC phono stage is pretty excellent on both...clean and quiet. MM is also excellent,and I've never wanted for any additional loading options.

Interesting how the L-07C really has that Technics "military" feel to it, while the L-07CII is a much sleeker, more modern component. A very visible reminder of the change that was happening in Hifi as the 70s ran towards the 80s. Big, bulky industrial-looking components were turning towards sleeker, more domestic friendly forms...

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3843.jpg
    IMG_3843.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3835.jpg
    IMG_3835.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3844.jpg
    IMG_3844.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3839.jpg
    IMG_3839.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3842.jpg
    IMG_3842.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 144
got both, they are beautifully built! My L-07CII has been recapped and L-07MII's completely restored. Love my office system!

Attachments

• DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I'm considering pulling the trigger on a L-07CII + 2XL-07MII. Appreciate any feedback on these amps. I've seen a few posts and a recently resurrected thread on the monoblocks regarding a repair. The word "oscillation" has been mentioned with respect to the mono's. Don't like that word much..

.Any help or experience appreciated. If I proceed the intention is to to re-cap / refurb all of 'em...Thanks...Are SM's and schematics available..

Thank you Redcoats7 for sharing, I have both the I and II, but besides doing a 'detox wash' I never really did a 411 or really analyzed the topography of these excellent products. Coming from the Yamaha end of things I must say the LC07's are a step above anything I've experience in the Yamaha C class, your mileage might vary... I also own the basic series and they don't come close to the L07C (or L07M) in quality or sound (although the basic amps are interesting).

I like the 07CII because it seems to be well sealed as the 07CI has large vents and I live in a world of dust.

Jeffe (Question) (Sweet rig!)

Which Yamaha NS speakers are you using in office system?
I wish I could have some big Yamaha NS speakers in my office!
But I work in a nutshell, a king of not so infinite space.

The 07M amps are the best amps I have used with my NS1000, even better then the M4 which is an excellent too and no slouch. The Yamaha M4 just seem to keep on going, are real working 'boarder collie working' dog, while the 07M need lots of TLC.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom