My Yamaha story-(cr-1020)(mx-2)

gkwolfman

USAF 1973-1980
I was fortunate for a couple years to enjoy a C 1, CDX-1110u, and MX-2, during which time I was retired and the wife was still working. Now, the wife is retired and spending habits and finances have changed.

I had pondered on many thoughts this past few months of this new year, especially since I just turned one year away from the big "60". Now, not that my health is bad, or that we are broke, more the fact that my stereo room is in the garage and we are cig smokers and keep the garage door open to let the cig smoke out. Can't smoke in the house, or family won't visit, and we want to have the grand children over for sure. But, the humidity is not good for the stereo and the bugs are not good for us.

One thought I was having is that I don't want something to happen to me and my stereo go to someone in an garage sale(( estate sale )), and get the Yamaha C 1 cheap, like I did. I have 11 hundred invested in it($260.00 estate sale price & $800.00 going over price). Well, any ways, I have been selling the Yamahas. Some LUCKY person in Austin got the C 1 for $1550.00. Some one in CANADA got the CDX-1110u. I still have the MX-2 up for grabs.

Now. What do I do for a system, I thought I would go back to a receiver. So, I found a CR-1020. Well, it was a working unit, and the person selling it to me was right, it works. So when I started it up, it just did not sound like I would expect from a Yamaha and proceeded to check the bias and dc off set, my bubble was burst. First, you can not adjust the dc off set. Second, the right channel bias would not adjust and the reading was 00.0. Not any bad issues, like smoke, pops, and crackles. Just tinny (high treble sounding) not long term listening. Had to tone the presence knob and treble knob all the way down to tone it out. And the loudness up to around 7 & 8. Wasn't over heating either. The left channel scoped out alright bias and dc.

Then I was thinking, bias is in the amp section. Seeing how I still have the MX-2, I hooked it to the preamp of the CR-1020, and wow, the preamp section of the receiver is sounding good, even though it probably needs a good tuning and going over. So, now I don't feel so bad, but, the pair don't match much in the looks department, but, the MX-2 and the pre amp of the CR-1020 do match nicely. Kind of like having a something between a CR-2020 and a CR-3020.

Now I wish I had the confidence enough to tear out the amp section of the 1020 for repairing. Plus the ability to comprehend and read the svc manual.

So, the final chapter here is, if you have a CR-1020 at 70 wpc, and would like a CR-2020 or higher, get and match a MX-1 or a MX-2 to it and sit back and listen and crank it up. I have and am, and this will be my set up until I can figure something else. Oh, the preamp in this 1020 is, for the price, good enough for me to have some bucks in the pocket and not miss the C 1 pre amp too much.

Back
Top Bottom