Yamaha Receiver Repair in the Boston Area?

Fast4ward

observer
Hi folks,
I've got a 1980 Yamaha R-2000 receiver that's in need of some repair. The left channel's been cutting in and out lately. I'm currently in the Boston area and looking for a technician who might have some experience with these units. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Ben

Have you tried cleaning the pots with contact cleaner? Could be as simple as that. Deoxit fixes a lot of ills and cheaper too.

Thanks DublinTrader,
Yes, I've Deoxed it a few years back. It did have a scratchy volume knob at one point. I may spray it again, but the left channel issue doesn't react to any knob turning, and seems to be a heat-related issue. The channel will often suddenly pop on after the unit's been running for about 20 minutes. Oddly, I can engage both channels with the spatial expander function, but I don't care for the effect.

I'll spray it in few days and report back if any improvement.

I haven't sprayed anything again yet, but I'd noticed the very faint sound of the radio playing through the quieter left channel while in aux mode. I worked the input select buttons back and forth, and sure enough that fixed it. I'll have to take it apart and deoxit properly this weekend.

If anyone in the Boston area knows a good technician, please feel free to post below anyway. I'm sure someone in MA is going to need one sooner or later.

Try tapping on the reciever. Popping could be cold solder connection.Or a transistor acting up.

Thanks Beatcomber, I hadn't heard of Atlantic Systems! Hanover is little drive, but well worth it if the quality is good.

They seem to be a reputable outfit. I probably would have used them myself by now, except they only maintain normal M-F business hours, so I'd have to take time off from work to go down there.

Back
Top Bottom