R1000 and R2000 extra heatsink

merrylander

AK Member
I was asked about my recommendation of adding extra heatsink to the voltage driver STK chip in these Yamaha receivers. Rather than simply answer a single member I figured it would be better to post pictures and methodology here.

The extra heatsink is Mouser Part # 707-821702B00 and you will need two as well as some heatsink compound.

Now I dislike drilling holes in metal inside an electronic unit, never can be sure to get out all the chips. I use a right angle ratchet Philips screwdriver to take out the two screws holding the original heatsink to the STK chip. Turn thr receiver over and pull the bottom plate. The two tangs that hold the heatsink to the chassis can be squeezed together gently and the heatsink removed. Refer to the three pictures and see how the extra heatsink can be attached to the original by drilling two holes and using small screws and hex nuts, about a 6/32 x 1/2" should do it. Grease the two new heatsinks and refresh the grease under the STK chip. Replace everything, actually it might be better to add the new heatsinks after you replace the original as they would block access to the STK chip screws.

Last edited:
I took Rob's advice on this as well.

I used a piece of heat sink I had. I cut it to fit.

Just another option.

100_1765.jpg

Rob

Very nice mod in both cases! :tresbon:

What was Yamaha thinking to under size a heatsink like that? :nono: :D

I just did a Google search for Mouser Part # 707-821702B00 and it appears to be obsolete. I couldn't find any place to order it. Suggestions?

Radio Shack sells some that may work. They may be a bit small so more than one may be needed.

Not sure if they sell them at every store, but they are on line.

Rob

Based on Merrylanders suggestion, I too have added heat sink to the STK modules on R-1000/2000 Yamaha's. Like Rob, I cut some heat sink from something from my parts bin. In fact, I've used this same method to add additional heat sink to a few other hot running receivers and it dropped the temps a good 20-30 degrees.

Old thread, but vital for me and the health of my newly aquired R-1000. This is the result of my brother's handiwork. Just awaiting the replacement shipment of the on board battery.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 60
Looks very nice! I've got an R-2000 with a computer fan modded to run inside. I'm not sure if it's been doing the trick though; been having some issues with the left channel cutting out lately.

Old thread, but vital for me and the health of my newly aquired R-1000. This is the result of my brother's handiwork. Just awaiting the replacement shipment of the on board battery.
That looks real nice. I just got the R-2000 and I'm trying to protect it as well could you send some more pics pls? I need to get this done as well as the amp mod. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom