Re-Cap a C2-X?

pfcs49

Phil
Subscriber
I have this wonderful preamp that seems nearly perfect.
I re-soldered all the RCAs (a couple were intermittent).
I emailed Avionic (Dave) about it and got a reasonable estimate but never a response about when to send it/where in his que it should be.
I have a C-85 so it's not an issue to send it away.
But, I just don't know! It already has high quality caps that some say last almost forever.

(I HAVE heard that "but" is the call of mating assholes!):)

Last edited:
The C-85 is arguably a better pre than the C2-x. Now a C-2x is a whole other matter...

I emailed Avionic (Dave) about it and got a reasonable estimate but never a response about when to send it/where in his que it should be.
But, I just don't know! It already has high quality caps that some say last almost forever.

I will send you my recapped C-2a and you send me that dirty C-2x. :D

I wouldn't touch it (recap) but that's just me and your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
John

Get it bench tested for noise, frequency response and channel balance etc. If it stacks up to spec, leave it alone IMO. If it doesn't, get it fixed and recapped at the same time.

Surely there's some techs near you who can run a reasonable gamut of tests for you at a reasonable price?

Get it bench tested for noise, frequency response and channel balance etc. If it stacks up to spec, leave it alone IMO. If it doesn't, get it fixed and recapped at the same time.

Surely there's some techs near you who can run a reasonable gamut of tests for you at a reasonable price?

I don't need to test it to know it's working pretty damn well!
I have scope and function generator and no motivation to measure it!
It is an extraordinary preamp.
There is risk involved in shipping it and putting it under the knife-I'm attempting to get a handle on the cost/benefit ratio.

I wouldn't touch it if there is no deviation from specs. The only place where changing capacitors may help is power regulators, as they are running hot and might damage capacitors over time. Audio circuit is built almost exclusively with Black Gates and unlikely needs anything. What needs to be done - cleaning of phono section switches. Some models are wired a strange way when power supply is always on. This also can be corrected.

Last edited:
The C-2x runs fairly warm, if I recall, with little or no airflow inside. Those capacitors are 30 years old now, and without evidence to the contrary, I'd expect them to degrade just like any other electrolytic. Some brands/series have a longer useful life than others, but I'm not aware of anyone posting test results on these older BGs. With the right choice of caps, you should hear an increase in performance, how much being determined by which (and how many) capacitors aren't performing up to snuff. IME, I'd say the biggest performance increase usually comes from the recapping the power supply. Personally, I recap everything before ~1990, but I can do it myself so cost is usually of little concern. Further, I've never regretted recapping a piece from a sonic standpoint. YMMV, of course, but you did ask for feedback :)

What percentage of electrolytic aging/degradation is caused by use/heat vs time?
I.E: if the unit has seen little use, how much would that affect degradation?

These units were made almost like military gear. And military communication systems were commonly in use from early 1950 to late 1970 without major overhaul. And that was tube equipment where heat plays bigger role. So generally approach should be: run unit through tests, and if it is still up to original specs - leave it alone.

By the way high end gear that was modified gets LOWER resale value than all original.

If its working and sounds great. Use it and enjoy it.:music:

Last edited:
These units were made almost like military gear. And military communication systems were commonly in use from early 1950 to late 1970 without major overhaul. And that was tube equipment where heat plays bigger role. So generally approach should be: run unit through tests, and if it is still up to original specs - leave it alone.

By the way high end gear that was modified gets LOWER resale value than all original.

Modularized military gear breaks down and gets replaced all the time. I did it for 8 years. That gear is also not high end audio and "milspec" isn't what many think it is. There are generally much looser tolerances and variances allowed.

Modified is different than recap. If you're basing your claim on a recap by a good tech, I call BS. P.S. that doesn't hold water with modded tuners either. A modded and improved tuner has higher value than a stock unit.

Back
Top Bottom