Help with Yamaha CR-220 bad channel

witz0043

Well I'm a bit new to the audio world but I figured I'd get my hands dirty with this receiver I came across. I've used DeOxit on all the controls and jacks and cleaned up the inside a bit, but the right channel still is almost completely distorted when I go beyond a very low volume. Left channel sounds great.

I've tried different speakers and wires so I'm confident that's not the issue.

Sounds like a soldering issue or a transistor? I'm trying to learn everything I can to catch up on electronics, but if anyone can tell me what to look for (or maybe even which thread to post this in, if I screwed that up) that would be awesome.

Thanks for asking--only occurs with the speakers. Headphones are fine.

Speaker selector switch is still dirty or broken.Or you have a bad connection on it ,to it or from it.Give it a couple real good cleanings with Deox-it.:thmbsp:

oops stand-by----

Note: SW701 speaker select switch needs to be removed from the board and disassembled to get it cleaned up. Its impossible to get the deoxit where it will do any good by just spraying it into the exposed openings on the switch. The contacts are usually heavily oxidized and they need to be scrubbed.

Last edited:
Ok thanks--sounds like we've got the issue figured out. I don't know how to remove the switch. I imagine this involves removing the solder on the bottom of the board?

I checked it and it looks damaged--only spot on the bottom where the solder looks bad. Could this be the problem? I'll try to attach some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 19
Ok that first one was just a general view of the insides. Here is a photo of the switch, which does look the same as the one in the other thread.

The other photo is of the bottom of the board where the switch is attached. Looks a bit gnarly...the two parallel lines going across the photo in the middle are the ones holding the switch, and it looks like there is just no solder on half the connections.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this level of electronics so excuse me if I use the wrong terminology. Anyway I'd love to learn and didn't really pay anything for this so if you have any suggestions for what to do next I'd love to hear 'em!

And thanks for your help so far...

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 18
Ok that first one was just a general view of the insides. Here is a photo of the switch, which does look the same as the one in the other thread.

The other photo is of the bottom of the board where the switch is attached. Looks a bit gnarly...the two parallel lines going across the photo in the middle are the ones holding the switch, and it looks like there is just no solder on half the connections.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this level of electronics so excuse me if I use the wrong terminology. Anyway I'd love to learn and didn't really pay anything for this so if you have any suggestions for what to do next I'd love to hear 'em!

And thanks for your help so far...
The pins without solder are not used. Hence no solder pads. Yes it needs to be desoldered.

Desolder the 4 spots marked in red and the 12 pins that are soldered. Remove the hex nut on the front shaft of the switch assembly thats tightened down to the front of the chassis. Have to remove the knobs and front panel first. Will need a 1.5 or 2mm allen to loosen the setscrews within some of the knobs. Don´t loosen or remove anything that looks like its supporting anything that the tuner dialcord is threaded around.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 21
The bottom side of that board will clean up with IPA and a old toothbrush and a little elbow grease.

Back
Top Bottom