Vintage Vs. New

GP Hill

I have a really nice CA 2010 that sounds really good especially in the class A mode. My question is how high up in the New Yamaha intergrateds would I have to go to get a better sound. Would the 801 be better or would I have to go up to a 2100? My other stuff is a Tohrens TD 124 with a new SME M2-9 arm, a Denon Dl 301 mk.2, a Vista Audio preamp and ADS L810 speakers.

Well, going by weight, the CA-2010 is over 46.2 pounds, the A-S2100 is 51.6 pounds. The A-S801 is only 26.7 pounds. Weight is not everything, but 20 pounds is pretty substantial.

I think you'd be hard pressed to hear much between the higher ranged Yamahas and your CA-2010 assuming the 2010 is in top condition.

Why not find a dealer in your area who will let you compare yours and the new ones side by side in his listening room?

I think you'd be hard pressed to hear much between the higher ranged Yamahas and your CA-2010 assuming the 2010 is in top condition.

Why not find a dealer in your area who will let you compare yours and the new ones side by side in his listening room?

I would love to do this, however there are no audio dealers left in a metro area of over 1million people. Home theater, but not stereo.

I've done a direct comparison between my ca1010 and a new a-s500 and find I like the a-s500 slightly better. The new Yamaha's sound great. Don't let price or weight fool you; you'd be very surprised how good the mid tier models sound compared to vintage high end!

Also compared a recapped ca800. Same results...to my ears.

Last edited:
Most listeners seem to have preferred the new A-S2000 over the CA-1010 and CA-2010. The S2100 is another level above that from all indications, and same goes for the S3000. I don't know about the lower models like the S500 and S801.

Back
Top Bottom