What is the crown jewel of your record collection?

Mr. Lin

Lunatic Member
I got the idea for this thread tonight as I was flipping through my collection.

I'd like to hear about (and preferably see) your most highly-valued lp, and the reasons why it's at the top of the heap in your collection, so to speak. I know, the obvious reason is going to be "Because I love the music," but there could be other reasons in addition, such as rarity, monetary value, sentimental reminders, and so on. Of course monetary value doesn't necessarily play into it; your most cherished record might be something that's often found in the dollar bin.

Mine are not, but I have strange interests. :)

The crown jewel of my record collection is without a doubt The Church, Priest=Aura. This is one of my favorite albums of all time, and my favorite album in this Aussie band's very extensive catalog, which doesn't feature one bad album IMO.

I was first "turned on" to it about 6 years ago while living in Germany as an exchange student. I was already a fan of The Church, but was only familiar with their better-known works from the 80s, like the album Starfish, which contains the smash hit single "Under The Milky Way" (it's likely you've heard this on the radio even if it doesn't ring a bell). Lead singer/bass player Steve Kilbey suffered from heroin addiction in the early 90s, and this album is a product of that experience. Dark, sad, and highly atmospheric, Priest=Aura is an intense emotional experience for me every time I listen to it (which believe it or not has primarily been in my car, at least after Germany). It reminds me of a lot of things, not least of which is the 7 months I spent in Germany, so there's definitely a sentimental component there too.

Despite all that, you may be surprised to know that I've only played the record once, and not all the way through. This album is very difficult to obtain on vinyl - I think it was a German-only import, perhaps UK too - and when I bought it on ebay the average auction ended around $100 for a used copy, which is about what I payed. Therefore, I've promised myself that I will not use the vinyl copy until I have a professional record cleaning machine (the lp isn't too dirty, but it could use a good cleaning), a new turntable (that won't be any time soon unfortunately), and the best cartridge I currently have. I also plan to make the ultimate analog copy of the album with my Nak DR-1 and one of the finest blank tapes I own.

Here's a picture:

rsz_p1310684.jpg

I'm also going to include my most highly-valued 7" single. My favorite band is The Cure. Knowing this and sharing my love of the band, a now ex-girlfriend (who remains a close friend) had the excellent idea to get this for my birthday, some ten years ago.

Released in 1984, this is the single 7" picture disc for the song "The Caterpillar," which is from that year's Cure album The Top. It's not extremely rare - one could find decent copies of it on ebay for about $60 around 8 years ago, I don't know about today - but it's not something you're likely run into in any record store, that's for sure. The 12" single version has the same cover art, just on a white background, and the vinyl itself is standard black.

The Top was (again) a drug-fueled, bizarre album that's often referred to as somewhat of a Robert Smith (front man and vocalist) solo album. In fact, Smith wrote most of the songs by himself during a time when the band were having issues with each other. To me, "The Caterpillar" has always seemed like one of those happy type of sad songs. I'm sure many of you know what I mean, we don't have a word for it in English but apparently some languages do.

I'm a big fan of b-sides, so for me the best singles have great b-sides. The Cure is one of those bands with a hell of a lot of wonderful b-sides, and IMO "Happy The Man," which is the b-side of "The Caterpillar," is one of the good ones. It's well-known among Cure fans that the The Top era coincided with heavy drug use by the band (it's not the only one), and Smith has said in interviews that psychedelic mushrooms were the drug of choice at the time. Indeed "Happy The Man" is about a hallucination Smith experienced while tripping on mushrooms. It was occasionally played live during the tour for The Top in 1984.

Here are the pictures of both sides. The plastic sleeve is actually part of the artwork, although it's difficult to see how unless the records are out of the sleeve - some of the solid red lines are actually on the sleeve, not the record:

rsz_p1240589.jpg

rsz_p1240591.jpg

So there it is. I hope to get a lot of responses to this thread topic as I'm really curious what interesting lps and stories will appear.

Last edited:
I couldn't pick just one album and I'm not going to list all my favourite records, so the most valuable (monetary wise) record I own currently is Imperial Wax Solvent by The Fall. This is going for over £100 now, I bought it for just the normal selling price, about £15, when it came out but it seems like there was not that many copies pressed.

Before that the most expensive LP I owned was Pink Moon by Nick Drake, about £120, I sold it some time ago though and, obviously, regret it now.

The 'crown jewel' of my collection is a rare 1965 original pressing of "Mingus At Monterey," which Charles Mingus sold by mail order from his NYC apartment. Mingus signed each LP before shipping them out! My copy actually has two Mingus signatures, one on the front cover and one inside the gatefold.

Mingus has been one of my musical heroes for many years, and I owned this album for well over a decade before I realized that it was autographed; I had assumed that a previous owner had carelessly scribbled on the cover. It wasn't until I read about this particular issue of the album in a Mingus biography that I realized what I had. I completely freaked!! Mingus' widow, Sue, was kind enough to authenticate the signatures after I sent her scans.

Oh, and I paid a mere 75 cents for it!

bitches brew - miles davis..
not particularly hard to find but nice to have a mint pressing of a seminal piece of work by the trumpet king

Sentimentally speaking, my original copy of "American Pie" -- the first LP I ever bought -- signed by Don McLean. Monetarily, probably my signed Jan & Dean "Drag City" and "Surf City" 45 picture sleeves.

Hard to say. Maybe the original pressing Apple Beatles white albums. I have 3 with the numbered covers and each complete with poster and photos.

They're all in good shape too, even the one I bought in 1968 when I my audio system was a plastic toy from Sears with a stylus like a nail! Must have been something special about the vinyl these were pressed with, because they are amazingly still in VG-plus or better condition.

Last edited:
I have a copy of Jackie Mittoo's 'Stepping Tiger' that is ultra-rare, has good music on it, and it's signed to boot.

Got it from the leftovers of an older gentlemans garage sale.

"Live From The Streets of New York," by Sha Na Na. Bought it when I was 8 years old, and recently re-discovered it in my Mom's closet. Considering what crappy record players I listened to it on dozens of times, it still sounds quite good. Amazingly, this LP is out of print and goes for quite a few bucks on the auction site.

Pink Floyd-The Wall, which I had to find used in great condition and pay 5 times what I would normally pay for a used LP.

"Live From The Streets of New York," by Sha Na Na. Bought it when I was 8 years old, and recently re-discovered it in my Mom's closet. Considering what crappy record players I listened to it on dozens of times, it still sounds quite good. Amazingly, this LP is out of print and goes for quite a few bucks on the auction site.

Ha ha, I also bought that album when I was 8! It came with a poster of the cover art, except the little cop on the building in the background was peeing! The removed the pee stream for the cover itself.

I had no idea anyone collected Sha Na Na albums. I see them fairly often in thrift stores.

Mine is "The Fragile"-Nine Inch Nails. Trying to find this LP was what started me getting into Hi-Fi, and Trent Reznor is my favorite artist. I recently was able to get a sealed copy from a seller on ebay for far less then I was willing to spend. :banana: The prices have really come down from a couple years ago, which is good for me.:D I would love to find some other nineties alternative/hard rock LP's from my youth.

I don't know about the "crown jewel" but my sentimental favorite is the very first album I bought when I was 15 years old during my freshman year in high school many years ago and still gets play time: "Meet The Beatles".

I have some great new 45 rpm 12" records but I have to say my Mint Rolling Stones Bravo lp is my jewel. Drained my bank account 10 years ago ($75) to purchase this during my first few weeks after graduation.
Lol Brian's pose in front of Mick is priceless.

StonesBravoLP.jpg

MoFi half-speed mastered Waiting for Columbus, Little Feat.

That's odd:scratch2: A very good friend gave me the MoFi half-speed mastered Sailin' Shoes and it's absolutely awful :sigh: The original issue vinyl, even after 30+ years and untold plays is much, much better.

I'd have to say mine is in my sig pic.
Tribe's first release, a 4 track EP. The single "Abort" is the track that got me out to see live local music. I heard a few bars from the song on a radio commercial off and on all week. It stuck in my head like glue but I didn't know the band. The day before the show I happened to catch the whole commercial, found out they were playing live the next town over and became a local music addict the next night. At the time, the EP was next to imposible to find. I happened across my copy a bit randomly on eBay a couple years ago, years before I picked up a turn table. :)

Mine is "The Fragile"-Nine Inch Nails. Trying to find this LP was what started me getting into Hi-Fi, and Trent Reznor is my favorite artist. I recently was able to get a sealed copy from a seller on ebay for far less then I was willing to spend. :banana: The prices have really come down from a couple years ago, which is good for me.:D I would love to find some other nineties alternative/hard rock LP's from my youth.

I just got a mint promo copy of The Downward Spiral. Money wise, that is probably my most valuable. Actually got it pretty cheep ($55) too. Looking at the sellers other auctions, TDS was outside of his normal collection. Most of his stuff was early 45's. I'm still looking for a good copy of The Fragile. I've got Year Zero and Pretty Hate (reissue). I have every halo on CD (-the slip) and some of the variations/imports.

That's odd:scratch2: A very good friend gave me the MoFi half-speed mastered Sailin' Shoes and it's absolutely awful :sigh: The original issue vinyl, even after 30+ years and untold plays is much, much better.

Why is that odd; two different recordings and two different masterings. Did Stan Riker do the Sailin' Shoes? If so, it'll have SR/2 in the deadwax. I've never heard nor seen the MoFi Sailin' Shoes; the Waiting for Columbus (ca. 1979) is very, very good.

Back
Top Bottom