Foreign Film forum anybody?

gagelle

I was wondering if any Akers are into foreign, independent and classic American film. I have a small library of my favorites on Blue-Ray and regular DVD. Now, streaming services like Hulu plus are carrying some classic foreign films. There aren't any theaters in my city that will show movies different from the main stream hollywood films. In some big cities, there are many theaters that show classic American and foreign films.

I was wondering if there is enough interest to start a favorite film forum? It wouldn't have to be restricted to a particular genre. With some great surround systems I see in AKer's photos, I know many have created the equivalent of a movie theater in their homes.

I'll take complete silence as a negative.

I find myself wondering, as this is such an international site... films - foreign to whom?

Last edited:
It's really for the OP to say; but here's two-penneth [from an 'interested' party]:

It's always good to question ourselves imho! Noting that the OP's definition got expanded to "Foreign, independent and classic American film" to kick off the subject, I think we're probably talking a 'figure-of-speech', here.

I used to go watch "Foreign Films" in the UK when I was a pup. I now go [or stay in] to watch "Foreign Language Films". Same films!

As AK is brought to us in 'English' ['quotations/references' notwithstanding], and emanates from The United States, with our membership containing a very high percentage of US Citizens/Nationals; these factors, when combined with referring to probably the most viewed authority on movies, on Earth, the "Academy Awards", it's probably fair to use 'their' definition of "Foreign Language Films" [from the 87th Academy Awards]:

RULE THIRTEEN
SPECIAL RULES FOR THE FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM AWARD

I. DEFINITION

A foreign language film is defined as a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States of America with a predominantly non-English dialogue track.

I'm good to use that definition.

Like I said, 'questioning is good' - my two penneth [even 'cents']. Maybe others will comment too.

Cheers, og

Last edited:
A forum for those who love foreign films is a good idea.

There was an small, independent, Detroit tv station that used to show offbeat films in the middle of the night in the 60's and 70's. It was there that I watched Pierre Richard in the English dubbed "Le Distrait", shown in the states as "The Daydreamer". Though I have seen clips on YouTube, I have been unsuccessful to find a decent copy of the dubbed version.

A forum that the members of the world wide community can share information and resources about films is an excellent idea.

I find myself wondering, as this is such an international site... films - foreign to whom?

I'm from Canada eh. So I guess American films are foreign up here in the great white north hoser.
The only non-foreign (to me) film worth watching.

Attachments

• strange brew.jpg
    strange brew.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 18
Is that a jelly donut ?

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom