2250B FM tuner issues

iamthejeff

Recently got one of these in nice shape. Cleaned all the pots and switches and everything works well except I get very poor FM reception and the FM tuning meter does not move at all (stuck in middle). Using the same antenna with my 2230 I get excellent reception in the same room.

When adjusting the tuner dial between stations, the static also sounds very weird and distorted. I am uploading a video I took to show you an example - here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eop6UVNKG9k (listen after about 98 MHz)

Anything I can look at besides sending it out to get the tuner aligned?

Update: Whoa, did some digging and tried testing the tuner meter with my MM set to ohms, and the meter jumped back into life. It seems to work now when switching FM stations! What could cause that?

Last edited:
My first thought for the reception problem would be a flakey (bad) solder joint on the FM board.

As for the meter it was probably stuck and when you put your ohmmeter across it you placed a voltage on it and unstuck it.

I think the FM reception is better now that I blew some dust out of everything inside.

The FM tuning meter works fine now, but I noticed it likes to move around under any input mode if I wiggle the input select knob. Could the connections on the knob need repair or is it a sign of something else?

I sounds like it needs some more cleaning. I haven't worked on a 2250B, but I'm assuming that the actual selector switch is a sandwich type switch (that's what I call them) mounted on a board toward the back of the unit on the bottom. I believe the actual contacts on that switch face toward the rear of the unit on the backside of each sandwich. Give them a good spray while rapidly twisting the switch to all positions.

It could be the rotary switch needing (more) cleaning. It's up front and there are contact pads and fingers on both sides. Hopefully you're using DeOxit D5 for your cleaner?

Yes I used DeOxit and applied it twice, pretty generously. I might take the switch out and look for broken solder joints and/or try to reflow them if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom