Pioneer SX-580

TubesGalore

Today I picked up a SX-580 in excellent condition. For use in a small guest bedroom. All I need to do is replace some of the narrow side veneer trim. I believe this receiver is 1979 or so? I was surprised to see it was made in Korea. I did a quick check of the SX-580 pictures on line and every one I saw was made in Korea. I guess Pioneer moved production of some models to Korea before others. I thought the Korea made units came in the early 1980s.

So I was wondering if being a Korean made receiver should I be concerned about quality and performance? Compared to another Pioneer with 20wpc the SX-626, the 580 is lighter. Due to the smaller power transformer? But the knobs are metal and fell substantial and the sound and sensitivity was better then expected.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
I have several Pioneer receivers in the X50 and X80 lines which assembled in Korea as well as those same models that were assembled in Japan. It seems that Pioneer trained their production people fairly well, and their QC was adequate to insure reasonable quality no matter where they. The 80-series is typically lighter due to the transformers, chassis, and cases being lighter, as well as the more extensive use of ICs and hybrid components and simplified designs.

The one advantage I have seen in the Korean assembled units is that NONE of them that I acquired has the sky blue Sanyo electrolytic caps (cap of death) in them. There are a lot more Nichicon, Elna, and Panasonic caps in them.

Am I correct in assuming if I'm impressed with the sound quality and sensitivity of the 580 I'll be even more so with higher end ones (680, 780 etc.) of the series?

I've never been concerned with the Japan/Korea issue.
I've worked on a lot of gear and never noticed a quality difference.

The SX-x80 line is all good. As you move up in size you gain power.
The SX-680 seems to be much more powerful than the specs would indicate.
The SX-880 I had seemed under powered going by specs.
Those are just observations and not based on bench testing.

Back
Top Bottom