The Art of Near-field, Desktop listening

Oh. The picture looks much closer than 9'. Ok, probably not quite near field in that case...to me, at least. But the distance between speakers seems awfully close for a listening spot 9' away. And how close to the rear wall does that sitting position place you? If you have that much room length you should try pulling them 1/3 into the room...if you haven't already. I'd be very interested in hearing the results you get to see if there is any consistency with what I experienced.

Nothing serious...just have a Klipsch 2.1 Pro-Media set up going through the computer's stock sound card in the office at the shop. Hardly a place where I can sit and listen to music, anyway. But there are times when I'm rather impressed with the little bastards' ability to throw up a good center image with actual depth to the (tiny) sound stage. I have all the mixin's to put together a good desk top set up...but I'd rather spend the time and effort working on my listening space or building speakers or trying some combo in the main rig I haven't yet assembled with the gear I have sitting around.

Well when you're forced to spend much time there later you may find some fun in that genre. Almost kinky :beatnik:

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

My friend is building a recording and mixing studio and is setting up a mixing station. Looking forward to helping him with that so I can hear the playback rig.

Here's a recent shot of my ever-evolving desktop rig:

KakaoTalk_20150429_131221800_zpsqikcytpy.jpg

Featured is a pair of Monitor Audio speakers on DIY filled speaker stands, a 220wpc@8 'doubling-down' Class-D amp, a NuForce uDac & Audio Principe ICs.

I wish I had the same set up...sadly the only piece of gear we have in common is the calculator!:yes:

Added a 300B. Miniwatt N3 had a tough time driving the Celestions even on this desktop but this 300B has no problem....and it shatters my heart to realise I'm such a tubehead :D

17871986030_42a9d7ac27_b.jpg

You're a sick man, David.

A sick man with some sweet gear...and at your work desk, nonetheless!

lol thanks buddy

you may recall how i didn't find the sonic difference between DACs to be less than significant. on this desktop rig, however, the difference is a lot more substantial. i can see why DACs have become a big thing especially among headphone users.

The Audio GD provides more resolution and definition not to mention an improved imaging. Compared to it my old DAC sounds fuzzier and lacking in detail. Quite happy with the new acquisition :beatnik:

Freaking hell the sound is amazing and I can't believe I am only using the oh-so-modest Celestion 3 speakers only!

I'm supposed to be one of the speakers-first guys ok.....?

Hehehe... welcome to the world of audio-gd my friend! :)

The NFB-12 is a great starting point, and things get better and better as you move up the ladder (much better power supplies, more sophisticated circuits.

Damn Pete, don't ignite the flame there mate. I shouldn't binge-spend on DACs. I'm supposed to be a vinyl kind of guy right?

I can only agree with the general view them Kingwas make value-for-bang products...Curious to compare this to my MF DAC.

BTW, this DAC runs pretty HOT, as if this was some Class-A stuff!

Pete mentioned in a separate correspondence that this DAC's USB's not as good as it's SPDIF.

What do you think it would sound like if I used the uDac's USB-to-SPDIF capability????

Really enjoying this thread. I moved the big Connies downstairs to make way for a kids play area and now I listen nearfield once the kids are down. Up there with the most focused listening I have ever done.

Pete mentioned in a separate correspondence that this DAC's USB's not as good as it's SPDIF.

What do you think it would sound like if I used the uDac's USB-to-SPDIF capability????

It's certainly worth trying!

Depending upon the exact model, your unit may have a TE7022 or 8022 USB chip. Did you need to install drivers onto your PC? If not, it is the TE7022.

The resulting sound will be warmer, smoother and more veiled than the latest USB32 USB chip which sounds superb (as good as most sub-$1k USB to soffit converters IMHO). A decent external USB to SPDIF converter should elicit a similar improvement in overall sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom