Sansui FR 1080 -- Fix, sell, or trash?

drbrowen

Hi all,

I just pulled a Sansui FR 1080 turntable from a storage unit, where it has been for years. It has an AT11 cartridge with broken stylus, the belt turned to tar, and one of the metal bits inside that causes the arm to auto-return is missing. Not in the best of shape. I could order a new belt and spend probably 2 hours cleaning the tar out from the old one. I could likely either find a stylus or replace the cartridge. While listening, I could manually return the arm or possibly rig something. I have an operational Technics SL-Q20, M92E/N110HE, P-mount, Quartz TT that sounds decent, so I am not without a turntable.

The question is, is the Sansui worth trying to fix? If it's not likely going to sound better than the Technics, I don't really want to bother. If it's not worth fixing, is it worth the hassle of selling for parts given shipping? Or should it be permanently "retired"?

Anyone know anything about this model? I really don't need another turntable but this one looks like it has a light mass arm. Does anyone know if it light or medium mass? I really need a good light mass arm so I'm looking into one of these.

The specs put it in the lower half of the consumer table arena. Prolly sell it for parts here or on another web site?

Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was on the low end scale...Back to searching for a light arm without breakn my wallet.

Back
Top Bottom