Need some trouble shooting help

crwilli

I am getting an intermittent rattle in the right woofer column of my Betas. It sometimes happens at higher levels and of course, when there is high levels of deep bass. However, I cannot always reproduce it even under identical circumstances.

So is it in the Servo woofer or in the servo EQ controller or perhaps something else?

Could it be temperature related? Eg after they are driven for a while?

TIA

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey Craig i'm going to risk stating the usual suspects. Finishing rings on woofers torqued tight? Have you by any chance do a restoration on these puppies recently? I am not to familiar with these amazing speakers but some JBL100t3's i bought several years ago exhibited the same symptoms.I lightly tightened all fasteners on all drivers (3 were loose) & the crossover/interconnect panel & my cabinet buzz went away. I guess temperature could play a role but only if something was loose to begin with. If its still there check the surface the cabinets are sitting on (if not carpet),hardwood or tile may be buzzing against the bases. Also sometimes if my program material has strong low end 45hz or lower my wife's fine china & what nots rattle & buzz 12ft. away from the speaker baffle. Don't rule out items in listening area not related to your gear. You'll find it just may take some time. Also check the surrounds on the woofers just when they begin to fall apart they give a intermittent rattle before they go to rattle full-time when all the foam breaks away. Good luck-John

Last edited:
I had a problem with a buzzing noise that was driving me crazy. I turned out to be a capacitor which had become unglued from the crossover board.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I have taken the first step which was to wait for a rattle, stop the music, reverse the woofer columns and hit play. After doing that, I have not been able to reproduce the rattle which I am not so sure what that means.

Before that change, the rattle was definitely in all four woofers in that box.

Still working on this.

Hey there, I had a weird rattle out of my right side bass tower and I was like this is no bueno.... My cat likes to walk behind them and he had loosened up the servo control cable... Not saying that's what's going on with yours but a loose servo control cable can produce a rattle.....

Interesting. I recently switched the column sides after hearing a rattle, replayed the same music etc. and the rattle has not come back. Perhaps connecting the servo cables eliminated the issue???

I will keep it this way for awhile and then return the left column to the right side and see what happens.

Thanks for the insights!

Back
Top Bottom