Do I Want a pair of RS-IIs?

Azriel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Trying to decide if I want a pair of RS-IIs for $575. I'd have to drive 4 hours to get them, but they're original owner, refoamed, and ready to go. I need another set of speakers like a hole in the head. Quite frankly, I have too many right now, and can't hardly position my RS-4bs well enough to do them justice. They are my first Infinities, and I'm trying give them the best shot I can. Between my ADS's, Cerwin Vegas, KLH-Infinity Prototypes, and my Pioneers, I've got spare speakers out the tukkus!

However, this seems like a potentially good deal. I'm really curious how the cone midranges sound with the EMIT tweeters.

Kutztown Radio Show is coming up on Friday though, and I'm really trying to save my money for that. I'm hoping to find some cool piece of equipment for a good deal. Really want a tube amp!

I haven't been able to get these speakers out of my head since I stumbled on them days ago. Someone talk me out of these speakers..LOL. Please! LOL.

-Jon

BTW: I have a Conrad-Johnson PV-2AR tube preamp and a pair of Parasound-HCA-800II amps. Though, I think my Crest V450 PA amp would probably be the safer bet, as it is rated down to 2 ohm loads, while the Parasounds are only rated down to 4.

Attachments

• Infinity RS-II.jpg
    Infinity RS-II.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Infinity RS-II (2).jpg
    Infinity RS-II (2).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Yes #5, they will not be for sale for long and you may have to wait a long time until you see anyother pair. The RS4b is a fine speaker but not even in the same league as the RSII imho.
Jim

+7. While it is possible to have a surfeit of speakers, different laws of nature apply to Infinity speakers. Never pass up the opportunity to go several rungs up the Infinity ladder, particularly when this steeply discounted. No brainer.

yes +9 yes + 10 Yes + 11

that era of speaker is special, buy them you will see. I'll wait. bu those sell off a few sets of your other speakers to pay for them. hell I woulnt have to drive 4 hours most likely I'll get them if you don't.

yes get them

amazing speakers ask any one who owns them. easy to maintain as they do NOT have unobtainable electronic midranges.

Buy these speakers!
They are a good price, they are re-foamed, they do not have any un-replaceable parts, they are a good match for your amps, they look very nice, and they might very well replace the rest of the speakers you have!

he's had multiple auctions for these on ebay over the last several weeks. they're on there now. he says they are all original, yet the woofers don't seem to match. still a good price. good enough i considered them. even his $100 shipping is a deal. but those drywall screws are a red flag...

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Oh wow, I didn't see those drywall screws. Thanks for pointing that out. Well, guess the cat's out of the bag now about where the speakers are. I started following them with the previous listing. Didn't realise they were listed multiple times before. Each time, he hasn't even had a $575 starting bid. Seems concerning to me.

but those drywall screws are a red flag...

Looks like two of the woofers may be the -2279A's. If so, they're a compatible woofer. If you don't like them, wait until two 490781's come up on ebay, which is fairly frequently. 490781's are the original RS-II woofers. And, if you don't like the drywall screws, go to the hardware store and get some original Infinity screws; they're out there.

If those are the only two issues the speakers have, then consider yourself lucky (if you're planning to buy them).

As much as I liked my ADS L910's and my stacked pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's, my RSII's best them both. I wouldn't sell mine for $575.00. I have no idea what I'd replace them with for under $1000.00 unless one of those real rare deals came along, for who know what.

Back
Top Bottom