RS IIIa project is underway...

Bkphoto

Hey guys,

Finally got all the stuff, and I'm underway...

Cabs sanded and painted the front and back a flat black (sides, top/bottom will be dark mahogany)...taking up my TV nook...

crossover stripped, moved big inductor back to give more room for bigger components...

*sidenote- I really dislike the pink lettering on the polydome and emit, just doesn't look right (to me) so I have been buying IIIb mids and tweets and will be selling the "pink lettered" stuff...

The dark black front looks really good, and I agree that blue lettering is much better looking.

thanks, i know it sounds crazy to go through all of that but i placed them in and just went "ugh"

My current ones are pink, and the spares are blue, but I have not yet bothered to change them (probably only when there is problems with performance).

But I do like to listen to mine w/o the grills (see my avatar), so the eye sore is there. I like the look of the 'to your face' dual 10 inch woofers though :)

i must ask.. about the inductors being side by side like that, arent they supposed to be different directions from each other?

I'm curious....

In the tweeter shunt circuit, you replaced the resistor with a Mills MRA12, but did not replace the iron-slug coil. Was there a specific reason for that? If the original resistors were good, there's no sonic benefit to replacing them in that position in the circuit.

Thanks,
G~

didn't see any reason to replace the coil...not a big fan of sand cast resistors, and i was in there so...4 bucks, no big deal...kept the coils and the L-pads, everything else is new...also added binding posts...

now, just got done staining the cabs...wow what a pain in the ass...

they are done in the pick of crossover...

used an orbital, then took a 4 inch plastic putty knife wrapped in sandpaper to get into the flutes on the corners...

I'm looking forward to seeing the project come along.
What did you do to get a black surface on the front?
Any plans to put the foam back around the midrange / tweeter and if so, what do you have in mind? Sounds like some people don't bother, and just remove it. I can only imagine Infinity had their reasons for putting it there in the first place.
I have RS-IIIb , so far the only difference I know of is the color of the print on the drivers. They had the same owners manual. Is there another difference?

Back
Top Bottom