1968 Leslie Rotating Speaker

Tubejunke

I have this speaker in my music room that I brought home from Germany back in the 80s and was big into guitar. The speaker sounds absolutely amazing, but it is wired for European line voltage 220V. So to use the rotating drum with the existing motor a step up transformer should do the trick.

At any rate, it is to big for my current 'situation', so I guess I will take it to the flea market or maybe a music store will swap me something cool for it. Maybe I can finally get a Gibson ES-335 guitar!?!?! Anybody here fans of these things?

Attachments

• Leslie Speaker.gif
    Leslie Speaker.gif
    64.2 KB · Views: 63
I take it that's a stock photo? Looks like a Leslie 16 or 18 and probably worth $300 - $600 depending on the model. They probably sell for more in Europe since they are harder to find and the shipping cost to the US to Europe is probably a small fortune.

Last edited:
It is a model 16 and I didn't have the speaker with me when I made the thread, so I found that photo which is the one that sold on Ebay. Taking a pic of mine wouldn't be any different except there would be more clutter around it.

I need to find out a realistic value for the thing as I do have it on a local Craigslist page and don't want to scare any potential buyers away. As far as Ebay goes, you see a lot of crazy "Buy it now" and minimums, but 28 bidders escalating the auction to over 2 grand!?!?! I don't think that everyone wanting that thing was a Brit with an obsession for this particular speaker.

Now the auction listed it as a "Fender/Leslie". Maybe the Fender part makes it more of a rarity. Funny thing about that is I have seen one of those and it had a Fender logo on the front where there is normally the Leslie logo. Again, this is the picture from that auction and it certainly says Leslie. I hope the buyer didn't get the old SleezeBay shaft!

I need to rig mine up so the 220 volt motor (European) works on 120V. The easiest way I guess will be obtaining a transformer appropriate to step up the voltage. That way the original motor could be retained as changing the motor would definitely hurt the value I would think.

Moved to D&S, where questions of value are allowed.

It doesn't comply with D&S rules, either. You aren't allowed to mention the potential/upcoming sale of your own items outside of bartertown. Btw, the last late 60's Leslie I sold brought in $300...

Being it's a 16, I'd say $300.00 - $500.00 is the price range it would sell at. The 18 would be a little more.

Not quite clear whether you looked at completed auctions on ebay - ? That's where to find what people are actually paying.

Cool speaker in any case. No voltage selection switch inside? Or power tranny that can be rewired?

Back
Top Bottom