Tall guys - What do you drive?

6'6" 325lbs Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins 24v (all manual, everything). It handles like a,… well,… its generally a bit of a white knuckle ride. I'm always glad that I didn't crash into someone and smear them like a grease stain. It handles way nicer with a ton of load in the bed.
I'm tall in the trunk, so headroom is always an issue. More than that, for me, is huge feet; size 16. I can cover the accelerator, brake pedal, clutch, and emergency brake, all at once, in most smaller vehicles. So its a challenge, especially with work boots on, to find the right pedal.

Last edited:
Hah. My grandfather had a '73 Delta 88 4-door hardtop... what a beast.

Way more inviting inside than a newer Impala, although with that 455/4bbl it did require regular feedings.

I had a thing for the big Olds cars in my days of youth. Had a '73 98, a '73 Delta 88, and a '73 Toronado. Not all at the time mind you.

Never tangled with another car, but deer didn't stand a chance and usually didn't do much beyond put a headlight off aim.

One of my co-workers is 6' 5" 280 and drives a Smart car. Even took it on a trip with his wife and his only complaint was that it didn't have cruise control.

6'4", I drive a Ford Explorer. Our other car is a Ford F-150. Lots of headroom in Ford trucks - used to say they did that because cowboys could drive them with their hats on.

I drive a chevy cruze right now 6'2" 220~lbs pretty broad shoulders...

it is TERRIBLE to ride behind me ..but I am relatively comfortable up front (ordinarly just me and the wife (she is 6' ) ...nobody wants to ride with us...lol

looking for a new car now... drove a bunch of things.. GMC Terrain (good fit) , Ford Edge, Jeep Cherokee ..all good fit

I also drove a Chevy Malibu (not like the others ... really not sure what I want to do.. kinda want a suv / crossover..but haven't decided)

The Malibu issues of style not withstanding... Is very roomy and comfortable inside.. gets decent gas mileage also .. has this auto-stop thing at red lights... which I didn't love but meh... very stealthy car.. not going to get any attention or hassles which driving one i don't think... I have a certain love for stealthy cars personally ... I do not enjoy being bothered almost 100% of the time I'd prefer to just be left alone... (super social sounding i know.. but it is what it is.)

6'5" here. Life car list:

64 Bug
76 Colt
84 Firenza
81 Chevette
92 Geo Metro
00 Jetta (current)

No fitment problems in any of them, including the Metro! I prefer small.

I think the worst fit for me was the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. I sat in them at the North American International Auto Show some years back, and even with the seat all the way back, my knees were touching the dash. I was ready to buy one, too lol.

I have mostly owned 4-Door, full-size cars. Current is a Buick Lucerne.

The only 2-Door I could ever fit in comfortably, were my old "65 Mustang and Plymouth Duster. My head touches the headliner on all the new 2-Doors. Looked at a new Mustang and Camaro a few years back and there was just no headroom.

I keep getting truck recommendations over the years, but I'm just not a truck kinda guy. If I could find one that rode and handled like a good car, I'd be all over it, but it hasn't happened for me yet.

'07 and later Avalanche (out of production as of this year). I've pushed mine pretty hard and have been surprised how nimble it is given its proportions. And the ride is outstanding compared to the leaf-spring equipped trucks. Braking is confidence inspiring (threshold braking generates some serious g-force). Like you, I can't stand the crowded feel I get from the A-pillar in Ford trucks and the Avalanche has none of that going on. I'm only 5'11" but there is plenty of surplus room for me. I just busted 170K last month and the only non-routine repairs/maintenance have been for an oil pressure regulator, water pump and a fuel pump/sending unit assembly. Transmission is still good and I tow a 24' boat around during the summer.

Last edited:
I refuse to give up my '85 BMW 735i. I'm only 6', but I've had many taller friends and some who were 300 pounds plus along for the ride, and nobody complained there wasn't enough room. I have long legs and the seat still has plenty of adjustment left. BTW it has a 5 speed and limited slip rear, has covered 222,000 miles, and still gets 22 mpg. My only complaint - the clutch went, at 201,000. Oh well.

Lets not get into a Mustang vs Camaro debate. Religious discussions aren't allowed on AK after all. :)

Nor will I mention the fact that, as of the last time I checked at least, the Camaro outsold the Mustang every year since the Camaro was reintroduced. :D
Okay, you can have your last comment.i made a statement on what I drive, it fits me.and what i didnt like about the other car, not liking looking through mail slots for windows.who cares about how many sold!jeeze!

193cm (6'4) and I drive a 1995 Saab 9000. What I hate on newer cars is that the windshield is raked back too much and the top comes too close to my forehead. Feels claustrophobic.

I keep getting truck recommendations over the years, but I'm just not a truck kinda guy. If I could find one that rode and handled like a good car, I'd be all over it, but it hasn't happened for me yet.

The Audi's are pretty slick! Great ride, lots of power when you need it, plenty of room. Handling isn't exactly 'good car' like, but it's VERY good for an SUV and pretty cool for what it is. Definitely a good vehicle to enjoy driving as much as to get from A to B.

Just my opinion of course; and the things aren't cheap...

Cheers -
B_B

Last edited:
6'4" broad shoulders, 210, I drive nothing but SUV's anymore. Wife has small Mazda 3 that we drive sometimes to save gas. Headroom not terrible, but bucket seats not near wide enough. Knee room not good either.

6'0', but HEAVY...

HEHEHE!

Same here, ole Sandy!

Chunky is what I am, but a nice ole coot! :D

Driving an '05 Saturn Relay & it is a nice fit. When I had a '96 Mitsubishi Mirage S it was a tight fight, but that car was a blast to drive.

Rome

At 6.1 and 240 I'm happily driving a - Microcar. Smart Fortwo, enough room for the legs, not so much for the shoulders, but still comfortable. My belly doesn't collide with the stearing wheel...

The fuel consumption speaks for itself. Not to mention that you can squeeze it in every parking space. Dunno if you can get one in USA, and:"in a nation where your supersized car is your castle, is the smart too mini for a man?" (from Man's Vogue - is this really a man's magazine?)

My wife drives a Skoda Fabia II, and this car is really spacy for it's outer dimensions (it's build on the VW-Polo PQ25 platform). But I think this car isn't available overseas.

I love parking my Towncar next to Smart Cars. The Townie is just shy of 20 feet long. it looks absolutely silly with them next to each other. The Towncar is considered to be a huge car now, but it was downsized from the 1970s cars.

Back
Top Bottom