Dumping it all and starting over?

I played with a Jolida integrated and really liked it but my music tastes dont dictate the kind of detail a SET amp can produce.

My tastes in music, while not particularly suited to SET amplification according to many, does indeed sound excellent with it to my ears. I listen to mostly ambient electronica, and the vast soundscapes in that genre of music really come alive with SET amplifiers. I'm not the sort of person that looks for as much tonal accuracy as I do a more "fun" sound, so I usually lean towards equipment that adds cream and sugar to the coffee, so to say. All of that said, this new system is my first foray into truly modern HiFi. When I listened to a friends Diamond 10.1/CA 351A combo the other day, I knew I had to have something like that. His system is very fun to listen to, no matter if the recording is well mastered or not. On my former SET/EV system, well mastered music sounded nothing short of marvelous, but poorly mastered music could make one duck for cover. It was a little too true to source for me.

Warning: Thread Jack.
Has anyone heard those Dentons?

Yep. They remind me a lot of my wife's Quad 11L Classics. Kind of a cross between them, the Diamond 10 series and the Evo series. Very good value at asking let alone half price.

Lovely speakers!!!

If you ever decide to look at a different, yet still modern, approach, just for your information, Reference 3A's LOVE SET amps. :)

Woohoo, received my stands today, and hopefully I'll receive the rest of the kit Monday. Never before have I wished for it to be Monday :lmao:

Woohoo, received my stands today, and hopefully I'll receive the rest of the kit Monday. Never before have I wished for it to be Monday :lmao:

I recently saw a quote from a friend, "TGIM said no one, ever." I guess maybe he was wrong, in your case.

I hope to see some pics of your new stuff when you get it--especially those beautiful Wharfedales. :thmbsp:

You should try this insanely good combination ( $20 TPA3116 + $35 Astron PS ) and it has the power to drive the Wharfedales. Reminds me of a SET on steroids.

picture.php

The tpa 3116 with an Astron power supply is so incredibly good.
Cobbled this same combination together this week and was astounded at how good it is.
Fantastically good.

I am gobsmacked.

Art

Last edited:
The tpa 3116 with an Astron power supply is so incredibly good.
Cobbled this same combination together this week and was astounded at how good it is.
Fantastically good.

I am gobsmacked.

Art

Coming from an owner of the incredible Fi-X 300B that's one heavy endorsement. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom