One for the ages

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
I'm on vacation. To drive from Philadelphia to Cape Cod for a week with the SO, we took her car, a '13 Ford Fiesta instead of my Miata. Taking that car long haul in the summer with no a/c is a unique little kind of hell that I'd rather not subject another person to. Especially when you consider Connecticut traffic on I95.

In Woods Hole there's a little free aquarium that's part of the NOAA facility there. Some disabled seals that can't survive in the wild, examples of the local sea life and a very cool exhibit about underwater noises, natural, animal, manmade and unknown. Its a good scene.

Here's the thing though. Woods Hole is SMALL. The pay to park lots you see in the evening are employee only lots during business hours. The only other parking for attractions is street side metered parking. Its packed in that little town. As I'm radiating out from the town center looking for parking alternatives I happen passed a house with a ton of stuff out front. Locals are just picking through it. A half dozen of them. Its okay to pick it over before the charity gets there to haul it all away they say. Otherwise its just stuff on the curb.

Like a pair of AR 2As. That are now in SO's Fiesta's trunk.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Damn, We don't have garbage finds like that around here Cheyenne was never a place for HiFi like this back in the day this was a console stereo town.

Something about New England was just dropping me subtle hints that this would happen. AKG microphones on some if the aquarium displays. Cambridge Soundworks audio in the Falmouth Coffee Obsession. OLA's playing hushed music in the consignment book shop on main street.

The Cape is always busting at the seams this time of year. Congrats on the find! I personally can't deal with the Cape traffic in the summer time.

The Cape is always busting at the seams this time of year. Congrats on the find! I personally can't deal with the Cape traffic in the summer time.

I love coming here for vacation. This year stayed in Falmouth. Last year in the woods in Mashpee. Sorry for contributing to the traffic problem :p

At least this year we were an equidistant walk from the beach and town. Ben and Bills right on the corner a quarter mile up :D Didn't need to use the car really other than for things like Woods Hole, night photography (significant other's hobby), going to the Knob and South Cape Beach.

I love the Cape. One of my favorite destination spots and weekend getaways.

I guess it all started from my college years in Boston.

Nice, you never know hat you'll find if you don't look. My parents moved from Mashpee a few years ago, They were getting tired of having to stay home during the weekends in the summer. they said the traffic was horrible and the tourists get worse every year.

Very nice find & we don't see that 'round here, at least in the woods where I live!

Rome

Wow, great find! I'm sorry to hear how bad I95 is. I used to live in CT many years ago and it was busy,but moved OK. Oh well, at least you had the right car to grab those ARs!

nice, I wonder if I have a connection (weird as it sounds) to your speakers.

it goes like this. my son is currently on an Alaska cruise with my parents, who invited his best friend along. now his best friend's grandfather just passed away, and his mother has been with her sisters cleaning up the estate all week...in woods hole! milosz's gramps discovered the mechanism for bioluminescence, and lived and worked at the marine lab for years (my son stayed a week there with milosz a couple summers ago).

I will ask Jen if they put stuff to the curb, etc. that would be too weird if you got her dad's speakers...great find in any case!

nice, I wonder if I have a connection (weird as it sounds) to your speakers.

it goes like this. my son is currently on an Alaska cruise with my parents, who invited his best friend along. now his best friend's grandfather just passed away, and his mother has been with her sisters cleaning up the estate all week...in woods hole! milosz's gramps discovered the mechanism for bioluminescence, and lived and worked at the marine lab for years (my son stayed a week there with milosz a couple summers ago).

I will ask Jen if they put stuff to the curb, etc. that would be too weird if you got her dad's speakers...great find in any case!

That would be great. I'd love to hear back.

I'll post pictures tomorrow with some questions but the cabinets are in truly rough shape. I haven't had a chance to plug them in yet. I just got back tonight.

turns out not! they were moving him out of a nearby assisted living facility (in Brookhaven?), that's where their stuff would have been. the woods hole house is rented during the year and will be kept for family summers. great score anyway!

turns out not! they were moving him out of a nearby assisted living facility (in Brookhaven?), that's where their stuff would have been. the woods hole house is rented during the year and will be kept for family summers. great score anyway!

Thanks for the update though madwing!

Well I thought I'd have my first day back from vacation off but I was wrong. Won't be able to play with the ARs until Wednesday night at least but most likely Thursday. I will upload some pictures anyway though.

jedamema.jpg

yqyvusuv.jpg

That front on view does not do justice to how beat up these guys really are. A bit if water damage as well as missing veneer.

Its going to take a lot of work to get them pretty again. My question though is, what should come first? The wood work and probably reveneering? Or cracking them open to test the drivers and most likely have the XOs rebuilt?

if you're at all handy with a soldering iron, the rework is simple. i'd get them running and see if you like them enough to reveneer...

if you're at all handy with a soldering iron, the rework is simple. i'd get them running and see if you like them enough to reveneer...

I am NOT handy with that. I'm going to see what I can work out with the tech/owner of Quest For Sound. If working and I don't like them I can sell them. If working and fully restored I can really sell them.

Be happy; here in Toronto there is an ongoing battle related to trash in the pickup pile. Because of the recycling program, the city has ruled once out in the pile, it becomes property of the city and removing items constitutes theft.

It started a couple of years ago because persons were going around picking up aluminum cans and selling it to the recycling centers while the city was delivering them to the centers and being paid for it. The city, being deprived of the revenue decided it constituted theft of city property. The bylaw as written was broad and applies to any item picked. As far as I know the bylaw officers so far have done little enforcement unless someone complains fearful of these persons coming into the neighborhood.

Be happy; here in Toronto there is an ongoing battle related to trash in the pickup pile. Because of the recycling program, the city has ruled once out in the pile, it becomes property of the city and removing items constitutes theft.

It started a couple of years ago because persons were going around picking up aluminum cans and selling it to the recycling centers while the city was delivering them to the centers and being paid for it. The city, being deprived of the revenue decided it constituted theft of city property. The bylaw as written was broad and applies to any item picked. As far as I know the bylaw officers so far have done little enforcement unless someone complains fearful of these persons coming into the neighborhood.

What are city officials smoking up there? Oh wait a minute...

Back
Top Bottom