Boston Acoustics A70 - What Series?

meeps

Hello,

I'm just curious if anyone could identify the series for my A70's. The front tweeters look like they're from a later iteration. The front says it's rated for 6 ohms, while the back says it's rated for 8 ohms. Also, it doesn't state what series it's a part of the way my A150's say they're 'Series II' on the back of the cabinets. The only indication I can see is that they're A70C's, whatever that signifies...

Pictures:
4iij9l.jpg

33kdjes.jpg

nfr6gx.jpg

Anyone feel they'd be able to clarify what A70's I have?

Yea based on the tweeter, made by boston it is the later series. I have a pair they really sound great for their size. One of my favorites. Looks like they have been refoamed correctly too.

Yea based on the tweeter, made by boston it is the later series. I have a pair they really sound great for their size. One of my favorites. Looks like they have been refoamed correctly too.

Yea I refoamed them about two years ago, they were my fathers speakers that were sitting in the attic so I felt like bringing them to life again. It wasn't the cleanest job but it was pretty good for a first go at it. I actually just finished refoaming a pair of A150 Series II's last night, and they came out amazing! Honestly couldn't have done a better job.

Any idea what the 'C' might refer to in 'A70C'?

Also - Why does it say 6 ohms on the front and 8 on the back?

Last edited:
Yea I refoamed them about two years ago, they were my fathers speakers that were sitting in the attic so I felt like bringing them to life again. It wasn't the cleanest job but it was pretty good for a first go at it. I actually just finished refoaming a pair of A150 Series II's last night, and they came out amazing! Honestly couldn't have done a better job.

Any idea what the 'C' might refer to in 'A70C'?

Also - Why does it say 6 ohms on the front and 8 on the back?

I will take some pictures of mine to show you. I believe they are 8 ohms. Even though it says six in one spot.

I think yours must be the in between model. Mine are the newest or last A70s made I think. But yours definitely are not the oldest because they would have a SEAS tweeter which is round.

My pair also has black poly type woofers while yours look paper

I believe the SEAS tweeter model is series I
Yours would be series II or late series I?
maybe mine are late II.

Mine say 8 ohms on the front.

image.jpg

How do you like your A150s?

I also have A100s, T930s, and A400s if you want to see more pictures check out my thread in The Members Systems category. It's titled Boston Acoustics Setup.

Last edited:
I worked at an audio-video store in New Orleans during most of the 80, and we sold Boston Acoustics. I always really liked A70's although I never owned a pair. Great speakers. Peace and goodwill.

I'm guessing an in-between model as well. I believe series 1 had the paper cone with seas tweeter and series II had the poly cone with boston tweeter.

How do you like your A150s?

I just posted my impressions of the A150s here: http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=70344&start=15#p564109

As for how I felt about the speakers (thus far, since the foams aren't yet broken in)... I'm in love. It's as if the A70s had a clamp around their vocal chords, and the A150s had the same vocal chords but they were set free. It has the same sound the A70s produced (which I loved), but so much more vast and pronounced. The bass is much more prevalent, but it's definitely welcome. The mids are very apparent, and the highs are just right. And the resonance, oh my lord! It filled my parents whole house, and I didn't even have it cranked up. It was like a wave of audio just rushing through the hallways looking for rooms to fill, and oh did they fill! I can't even look at the A70s the same anymore, these produce much fuller sound. When I first heard them and turned them up to close my eyes and drown myself in music, I started laughing hysterically and gleefully at the absurd audio the production of the A150s.

With that said, I am planning on keeping them in the living room/kitchen portion of the in-law apartment so they can breathe. I feel they'd suffocate in my bedroom which is quite smaller, so the A70s will remain where they're already comfortable. I usually only turn up my speakers when I'm cooking or entertaining so the A150s will be a welcome addition to that facet of my daily life.

I'm immensely pleased with these speakers, and look forward to playing some vinyl with them!

Thanks for the info everyone, I was always curious about the front panel/rear panel discrepancy. Perhaps it is an inbetween... I'm contemplating contacting BA and seeing if they might be able to clarify what I have.

I've said it here before, but I have a pair of A150 series IIs that I bought intending to refoam and flip. I brought them inside for testing, and they've never left, and probably never will...unless A400s drop into my lap.

I've said it here before, but I have a pair of A150 series IIs that I bought intending to refoam and flip. I brought them inside for testing, and they've never left, and probably never will...unless A400s drop into my lap.

I dunno, I got a pair of A400's a few years after I got my A150's and both are still here with a pair of A70's recently added to the mix!

Perhaps I too will follow this trend and attempt to find some A400's down the line to add to my collection. But for now, I couldn't be more pleased!

I believe I read that post you're referring to Sam when I was contemplating picking the A150's up, it definitely sounds familiar.

The "C" is a prefix to the serial number, rather than part of the model number.

There were three distinct versions or 'series', regardless of whether Boston bothered to label them as such (they were better about labeling the cartons than the actual speakers).

First series: Round-framed SEAS tweeter, paper cone woofer

Second series: rectangular Boston tweeter, same woofer

Third series: same tweeter, Poly cone woofer.

Additionally, the vinyl on the cabinets was brown "woodgrain" on the first two series. The third series was rosewood colored to the best of my knowledge. I don't remember if they made any A70s with a genuine wood veneer.

Also, the later series with the poly cones had a narrower, deeper cabinet- less of the classic "flat" BA look.
-Mark in NC

So with that knowledge, mine are definitely Series II's. Ah, it's good to finally know the answer ha!

Thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom