Replacement Tweets for DCM Timeframe 600?

revox-b77

Looks like I need to replace a couple of tweeters in my TF 600's. The left speaker is missing both of the rear firing tweeters. I believe the right is missing the front firing tweeter. I understand that the rears are wired in series so maybe only one is toast. I understand that DCM no longer has replacements available and looking hear it seems the recommended tweeter replacement is the Goldwood GT 302/s. I have ordered 4 of these as they were 10 bucks and change. My question is: is that really the quality of driver that should be used in this speaker? My plan if I use these will be to replace all of the rear firing tweeters with the new drivers and to use one of the working original tweeters to replace the dead front tweeter. Suggestions?

Any AK'ers have any Timeframe 600 tweets gathering dust in a pile somewhere that need a new home?

Those are the ones I used in mine, I thought they sounded fine, I personally didnt find there was any noticeable difference in sound quality, mine had one blown tweeter on the rear in each speaker so I went ahead and ordered all four as it sounds you did, im thinking I kept the two good ones, im on the road till this weekend I will check when I get home.

Couple quick tips for when you get ready to replace the tweeters.

As others mentioned, lay out a drop cloth or plastic, after you remove the bottom trim board, the speaker binder/crossover from the back, and the gagilion staples they have holding the socks on, seperate the outer sock from the inner sock that has the messy foam attached to it, before ypu try to role up the sock, they are kinda glued together at the bottom, you can pretty much leave the inner sock in place which is best, saves on a mess and leaves the foam for the most part still intact, this is important cause the foam plays a vital role in reducing baffle sound reflections, and is one of the things that makes these image as well as they do.

Also the replacemet goldwood tweeters will be a hair larger, but if memory serves me they still fit ok without any modifying needed to the hole size, i just added a bead of caulk to seal them in.

If yours came from a smoker (mine did) or are in need of a cleaning as far as the socks are concerned, you can take a short 2 by 4 and catch the underside of top trip board and tap it outward with a hammer to remove the top board, which allows you to finish removing the socks, so you can hand wash the socks.

Good luck not a complicated project just a bit time consuming, put on some good tunes and take your time and you will be rewarded with a great sounding pair of speakers when done.

Thanks for the tips Chris. You did not roll the sock down from the top? Seems like most people do that and leave the sock stapled in on the bottom. I may get to it this weekend but most likely will be the next. Dance Card is pretty full already. If you end up with drivers you are willing to part with let me know. At a minimum I need 2.
Take um Easy!

Actually that does make more sense... now that i think of it i think i went the other way cause initially i wasnt sure how to take the top trim off and was worried about damaging it, that and as i mentioned my intentions were to ultimately remove my socks anyways to be able to wash them and remove the cigarette smell,and i initially thought the tops were somehow screwed on from the inside, them found out they are just pressed on.

When I replaced the tweeters on my TF600's I used a similar Tang Band silk-dome tweeter. Sounds MUCH better than the stock Mylar tweeters. Unfortunately, the TB's are very difficult to find, as they were only in production for a short time.

I used the four Tang-Bangs for the four back slots and moved one of the working rear original tweeters to the front in place of one of the non-working front ones.

I am in upstate NY.

What is the model of the Tang Band tweet? Did you have to mod the cabinet to install them?

Thanks

i got them from an eBay seller, I don't recall the model number. Like someone else above, I just caulked the gap.

If you already have the goldwoods ordered I would just go with them, and as you mentioned use one of the good ones from the back to replace the bad one on the front, for some reason the front ones rarely go bad like the back ones do.

Have you checked the crossover? There is a fuse/lamp used on some crossovers and some crossovers have a resetting relay. Both these items can be bad. Check them out first before digging your unit apart. It has often been reported that is better to peel the cover up from the bottom. Good luck on a great set of speakers.

On 600s you don't need to peel the sock to check the xover. Just pull the jack panel, the wires have plenty of slack.

I used Tangs to patch a TF400 with a blown tweeter and put a pair in my CX27s when one of those was blown.

I used Tang Band 12-1264SA - but they were closeout 5 years ago at PE; not sure if they're making them at all anymore. They were a decent close replacement. May have even brought the overall brightness up a tad. This was apparently the replacement tweeter DCM was recommending for the TF's a few years ago.

I don't think Tang makes these nor does anyone have them. Maybe you'll get lucky with finding some on eBay.

Sorry to zombie this thread, but wouldn't using the Vifa D19 that are so good in other DCM units be the obvious answer? In all the threads comparing the various Time Frames, the lack of Vifas in certain models always comes up. Do they not fit? I'm looking into a pair of these and really dig my Time Windows.

Should you find the tweeter it self is kaput, Parts Express sold some that were pretty close to them, forget the excoct models but their Tech Talk can help you find them. I had a set of 600's that had blown rear twtrs, replaced them and they sounded fine after that! Good luck.
DC

Should you find the tweeter it self is kaput, Parts Express sold some that were pretty close to them, forget the excoct models but their Tech Talk can help you find them. I had a set of 600's that had blown rear twtrs, replaced them and they sounded fine after that! Good luck.
DC
I keep a stock of tweeters for my TF-600's. The parts express fit pretty good and sound fine.

Back
Top Bottom