A Good Bose Story

Some people just can't resist or control their urgings to profess their thought processes- They're the same bunch of monkeys that bury themselves just to prove they know how to use a shovel...
LMAO. I'm gonna have to remember that one.

Some people just can't resist or control their urgings to profess their thought processes- They're the same bunch of monkeys that bury themselves just to prove they know how to use a shovel...

I suppose this could be true to a point as with many things, I'm just not sure of your statements relevancy pertaining to the subject of Bose in automobiles or Bose in general outside of the old monkey see monkey do marketing strategies, no pun intended of course.

I just pulled a chair up and threw my 2¢ into the discussion. Not taking sides. I understand both sides of the debate. Different audiences require different speakers. Bose makes a splendid speaker for jazz & classical. What Bose does, Bose does very well for anyone that bought a new pair, not a thrift store pair...they listened before they purchased. They're still in business.

Let me throw a wrench into the (quality/Bose/audiophile) discussion. Maybe those that do not hear or care about how the audio "sounds" are focused on the music, not the quality of the audio signal :scratch2: I remember hearing The Beatles for the first time on my little transistor radio back in 1964….Glorious!!

Regardless of what "audiophiles" may have thought about his products, Bose did more than just about any company to bring the concept of good audio to the mainstream market. They had a profound impact on the market.

People should understand that Bose is not a "marketing" company that can't do real engineering. Not at all. They didn't make the 301 because they were incapable of engineering a high end bookshelf monitor. They make their products intentionally, to serve the needs of their customers. The 301 is meticulously engineered, incredibly consistent from unit to unit, and it performs exactly the way they intend, as do all their products.

They have, in the last 25 years (since the AM-5 and the Radio), made a very conscious decision to eschew the so-called "audiophiles" market and decided to deliver quality sound to the mass market.

Hats off to them and their amazing achievements. The Radio, their Lifestyle systems, their headphones and soundbars, all terrific examples of precise engineering, quality manufacturing, and a keen knowledge of their market.

They may not satisfy the audiophile or the Classic collector, but the person who buys a Bose product is getting a high quality item that fulfills it's design goals perfectly.

Oh, and they make a profit while doing it. That's what they're supposed to do.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

Geez, I love your signature. Made me laugh.

and to the subject...

I wonder why some people care so much about what other people like or don't like. Seems like a waste of time. Then I think of a parallel Universe (one that might be infinite :D) of Stamp Collectors that care about why some people just have stamps to mail letters (the one that is infinite :D)

I just pulled a chair up and threw my 2¢ into the discussion. Not taking sides. I understand both sides of the debate. Different audiences require different speakers. Bose makes a splendid speaker for jazz & classical. What Bose does, Bose does very well for anyone that bought a new pair, not a thrift store pair...they listened before they purchased. They're still in business.

I'm still a little perplexed on your first directed quote at my post and it's relevance, oh well.
I will say that I did buy a pair of 501 IV's in 1983 and still have them with only one surround re-foam a few years ago they compliment my sound system with a Jamo SW-500 sub and two AR M1's as sat's powered by two Onkyo M-501 amps independent and a Onkyo P-301 preamp, the Bose purchase was my choice back then.
The Audi purchase choice was only about the car not the sound system that did include a Bose system and it's just sub-par for the most, if I could only get those 501's in the back seat Rory Gallagher blues would really sound dynamic.

Regardless of what "audiophiles" may have thought about his products, Bose did more than just about any company to bring the concept of good audio to the mainstream market. They had a profound impact on the market.

People should understand that Bose is not a "marketing" company that can't do real engineering. Not at all. They didn't make the 301 because they were incapable of engineering a high end bookshelf monitor. They make their products intentionally, to serve the needs of their customers. The 301 is meticulously engineered, incredibly consistent from unit to unit, and it performs exactly the way they intend, as do all their products.

They have, in the last 25 years (since the AM-5 and the Radio), made a very conscious decision to eschew the so-called "audiophiles" market and decided to deliver quality sound to the mass market.

Hats off to them and their amazing achievements. The Radio, their Lifestyle systems, their headphones and soundbars, all terrific examples of precise engineering, quality manufacturing, and a keen knowledge of their market.

They may not satisfy the audiophile or the Classic collector, but the person who buys a Bose product is getting a high quality item that fulfills it's design goals perfectly.

Great post .

Disclaimer: I have an "interest" to said company.

From the professional products side of things (they have several divisions)... here's a cool story of an installation for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil's main stadium.

http://youtu.be/aNpE3leHTVg

They also have much smaller Pro gear for small bands and single musicians that are rather interesting. I won't link here, but you can Google Bose L1 for an example.

I can tell you that many of the people there are musicians and have a passion for audio. I would go into more depth, but I don't want to make this post into an advertisement.

Regardless ...Bose did more than just about any company to bring the concept of good audio to the mainstream market. They had a profound impact on the market.

People should understand that.. Bose didn't make the 301 because they were incapable of engineering a high end bookshelf monitor. They make their products intentionally, to serve the needs of their customers. The 301 is meticulously engineered, incredibly consistent from unit to unit, and it performs exactly the way they intend, as do all their products....

Hats off to them and their amazing achievements... all terrific examples of precise engineering, quality manufacturing, and a keen knowledge of their market...

Truer Words Never Spoken!

i have the bose system in my 03 tahoe first year offered with xm radio. xm radio just plain sucks as far as audio quality goes fm is not far behind. now put a good cd in and it really shines.

I have 6 Bose systems...
5.1 for the theater
Wave radio
The big wave radio
The docking what ever you call it for my iPhone
A pair of noise canceling headphones
A Bose system in my wife's car
Monsoon in mine

I also run a Yamaha system and a Macintosh system

They all sound quite different ( even Bose compared to Bose)
And they all sound great!!!

Each has their place and each does the job perfectly IMVHO :music:

Just realized I do not have BOSE listed in my signature...Shame on me

Last edited:
Hyfi, I too have witnessed such a gateway.
My sister could never understand why my dad and I were so into Bose our hi-fi systems. we both had all Yamaha equipment with Bose speakers. she was quite content listening to her music on her laptop speakers or iPhone speakers where as we could not stand it. one day we decided to change this and we put my old Fisher 202 receiver in her room with a pair of minimus 7's and she has never listened to music on her laptop again.
Just like your story, the set up she got was by no means top of the line hi-fi, but compared to her laptop and smartphone speakers? a huge step up.

I just heard a properly set up BOSE 901 system and they blew me away more so than any other speaker I have heard. The amount of room filling sub bass is just mind blowing from such small speakers.

I heard quite a few Bose setups in cars. Believe it or not they do stock systems for ALOT of companies. I have heard Bose stock systems in a Corvette, a handful of Cadillacs and an H2.

They seem OK but their problem is they use foam woofers which are doomsday clocks for their drivers. I heard an old Escalade where the guy said something along the lines of "man, Bose sucks! No bass at all, they sound like they're blown".
He took apart the door to install a new pair of speakers later and guess what he found... foam surround hanging off or completely gone from the drivers.

Foam is fine when you can easily access the woofer to refoam it. But its rediculous to make foam drivers in cars where you have to work your ass off to get the woofers out.

back in the mid 80s one of my buddies had a bose car audio setup that consisted of an amp and 4 speakers with a Panasonic head unit as the preamp and it sounded great .

i have actually looked 4 the setup on ebay and have never found them but if i do i will buy it for my 84 mustang

I had the TOTL GM Bose system in my ex's 2004 Silverado crew cab. My '08 Silverado with the stock system sounded so much better than the Bose. Horribly disappointed in the sound quality. I have owned 901 and Series I 601. Kept the 601's for several years. They sounded nice, and the 901 sounded better than I expected, but I sold them quickly. I also prefer the Comfort II headphones over others. Nice sound, hard shell that protects my ears from banging against other objects while working around the house.

The stock Delco/Bose system in my old Cadillac certainly sounded good. I never was big into sinking huge amounts of money into a car system

Back
Top Bottom