Please help me make my wife happy!

stupidhead

aka Ratdogheads
Subscriber
So Mrs. Stupidhead (Diane) supports this hobby fully and I am a lucky guy on many counts! She tolerates all the twists and turns that "the quest" for audio nirvana can bring. The WAF as far as appearance is sort of important, but sound trumps everything. Did I say I was very lucky?!:bigok:

She has requested I find a set of speakers that she used to own back in the late 70's, which opens up yet another quest.:thmbsp: She does not necessarily remember model number, but they were definitely Cerwin Vega's. A little internet research suggests that these

attachment.php

very well might be the target speakers. Research suggest R24 or R28 or something like that.

She describes a two way system, top and bottom of face was wood, and grill popped off to reveal a black area around drivers. Also, the grills sat proud of the face, not flush or recessed. There was a hole in the back side where she might have hid things in the past:smoke: and there was a sort of reset button on the back as well.

The reason she really enjoyed them was the bass, she remembers it being very impressive, and who am I to deny her of what she likes. So, are there any other possibilities, or are these likely the ones. The time frame seems to fit! Are these considered worthy speakers? Does anybody have a set for sale?

If anyone has some digital brochures they can post on this line of speakers that might be helpful as well.

Geoff

Attachments

• fronts no grills.jpg
    fronts no grills.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 364
They sure look like the R-24s that I had for a while. Sorry I don't have any documents, but congratulations on the groovy wife!

Had a pair of the R-26's in 1977, lots of bass but wasn't thrilled with the midrange. Returned them to the store for a pair of AR 12's, much better balanced speaker. Gifted them to my brother in 1991, not sure if he still has them.

Those pictured are not R-26's. They are close but the tweeter is different and the R-26 baffle board is recessed about 1/4 inch. I still have a pair I bought back in the mid 70s. They work great for rock.:banana::yes:

Thanx for the responses folks! If anyone knows of a resource that has pics of this era's Cerwin Vega's, it might help narrow this quest down. Finding such a resource has proved daunting.

She sounds like a keeper. Though I'd be a little nervous if mine understood so much about my hobby! ;)

Those pictured are not R-26's. They are close but the tweeter is different and the R-26 baffle board is recessed about 1/4 inch. I still have a pair I bought back in the mid 70s. They work great for rock.:banana::yes:

Knew they weren't R-26's, earlier post nailed them as the 24's, just commenting on their sonic character. The woofer is also different in the two models.

pic by request

attachment.php

Yeah, she is a keeper for sure. Thanx for the request! This was at Red Rocks last year for Furthur.

Attachments

• Di_RedRocks.jpg
    Di_RedRocks.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 179
My ex wife would've been homicidal if I referred to her Mrs stupid head. (She really had no sense of humor. current spouse has no interest in the hobby. Its probably better this way. Glad you have a good one.Good luck with your quest. I hope she's as happy with them when you locate them. Otherwise you'll probably both be chasing after different sounds. I can see where this could be problematic down the road.

thanx for the input folks, but I am at a sort of dead end regarding info on these speakers. Does anyone know of a CV guru as it were, or a resource for vintage info for same. I understand (and she does as well) that if we id these things, and source a pair, they may not be a good fit.
We like quests, and are glad to wait until we find them, but I need to know what I am looking for. Any additional info would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom