My first "serious speakers" ~ Bozak

ccfore

I purchased a pair of Bozak B-302A Urban speakers at an estate sale this past weekend. They were advertised so I had a chance to research them before the sale and found this fantastic site which after reading the glowing reviews on these speakers just reaffirmed my decision to try to pick them up. They were priced too high for me ($275.) the first day but I went back the next day and they were still there so I got them for considerably less so I was happy. They look to be in great condition but in looking at the manufacture dates they appear to be almost a year apart 618 and 625, (Aug. '61 & May '62) not sure how that would happen if they replaced one along the way or what. I hooked them up tonight and they sound FANTASTIC! Of course they are replacing a pair of Altec Lansing Model Ones so it shouldn't be a surprise. I took the backs off and it appears that both speakers have the aluminum tweets and mids so that's good. Also came with a Bozak brochure and a couple tags. I've read about the mods to improve these further which I may look into in the future. I'm excited about what's to come!

IMG_2564_zps57824ca6.jpg
IMG_2577_zpsbe2a213e.jpg
IMG_2581_zps9fa0abf9.jpg

Last edited:
WOW What awesome speakers. After you have listened to them awhile let us know more about there sound characteristics.....

bozak find

You are lucky. Very nice set. Very well kept. I am sure surrounds are folded paper so no work there. The sound that I remember is "underwhelming". Maybe a very real sound and that may be "underwhelming" to some folks.
I heard some Bozaks around 50 years ago.
It's a shame they went out of business. Some good stuff.

Paul

Diction

Congratulations, if they sound at all as good as they look then you will be happy.

Last edited:
Ahhh! My buddy went there for me. Missed them by about an hour.

They are beautiful. Good score. I didn't know where I was going to put them anyway.

Yes, they are big! Here's a few more pic's of my recently acquired Bozack B-302A speakers....

IMG_2522_zps4d7b0fd4.jpg

IMG_2536_zps05e209ac.jpg
IMG_2540_zpsc54b2bcd.jpg

Aug. '61 woofer

IMG_2552_zps1dd52916.jpg

May '62 version

IMG_2534_zps66455e1b.jpg

They may be doped cloth surrounds. The ones on my B-401's are that way anyhow, and I think its the same driver as the 302 used. The doping on mine is mostly gone.

Just a guess, but the second speaker may have been purchased to upgrade an older mono system to stereo.

B199 cones and surrounds didn't change much, if at all, from the mid 50s to the 1980s. They switched to ceramic magnets right around 1970/71. I think the surrounds are actually a doped extension of the cone, but I'm not certain. I'll have to look the one parked on my kitchen counter.

Very nice.

In the crossover condenser pic it looks like a wire is loose. If you haven't already you should investigate as it could put your amp at risk.

Very nice.

In the crossover condenser pic it looks like a wire is loose. If you haven't already you should investigate as it could put your amp at risk.

I'd be shocked if that were the case. Bozak soldered every connection they could find.

Yes, it does look disconnected in the photo. I took some of the internal pics by putting the camera in and taking a picture hoping for a good shot so I wasn't actually looking at it with my own eyes. I'll take it apart and check it out, thanks for the heads-up!

Comment retracted, I didn't see that photo at first. It certainly appears that a wire connection has broken and needs to be re-soldered.

Congrats on your find. I too have a set and had them out to sell at a recent garage sale as the sound of one singly was "underwhemling' too.

But after a few hours listening to them flat on the ground w/o stands in my acoustically perfect driveway, it became obvious to me that they were quite enjoyable to listen too and needed further auditioning in my listening area. And that was being driven by a modest Sony STR-V4 receiver.

My wife likes them too, sonically and for their charming retro looks...:yes:

Back
Top Bottom