Fisher XP4a's

Hi Gang
I just purchased a pair of XP4a's from a guy down near NYC. My cousin picked them up yesterday for me and will deliver them to me in the spring...if spring ever gets here!!!
The speakers have controls for both tweeter & mid range and also have the funny pie pan woofers.
The backs are sealed so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with removing the speaker boards from the front to gain access to the controls and crossovers. I want to deoxide the controls and recap the crossovers.
Thanks
George:scratch2:

Hi Gang
I just purchased a pair of XP4a's from a guy down near NYC. My cousin picked them up yesterday for me and will deliver them to me in the spring...if spring ever gets here!!!
The speakers have controls for both tweeter & mid range and also have the funny pie pan woofers.
The backs are sealed so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with removing the speaker boards from the front to gain access to the controls and crossovers. I want to deoxide the controls and recap the crossovers.
Thanks
George:scratch2:

I could be mistaken, but I believe all the drivers except the woofer can be removed from the front. I'm not sure how the woofers are intended to come out, though. Sorry, that's all I know!

If they're the same as my 4b's, the front grill is held on by small brass nails. You can separate the material and find the heads, and then carefully use a catspaw or something similar to get them out. With the front grill removed you can remove the drivers.

If they're the same as my 4b's, the front grill is held on by small brass nails. You can separate the material and find the heads, and then carefully use a catspaw or something similar to get them out. With the front grill removed you can remove the drivers.

They [xp4a's] pry off pretty easily. :yes:

Steve

George. Get a paint can / beer bottle opener. Use the PAINT CAN End to slide under the corner of the grill cloth in the corners and pry up carefully. Pull up about a 1/2" then push the grill back down. The brad head should be visible. Grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers. then do the other 3 corners. Repeat for the other speaker. Then and only then use the other side of the opener for your favorite beverage! Love thos multipurpose tools!

Got me a 63' Executive (Italian Provincial..want a modern but beggars can't be choosy!) last week from Buglegirl. She kept the 800C that was in it and I transplanted mine in. SWEET!!!

Larry

Hi Larry
Congrads on the Fisher Executive...I agree....would love it in a the modern design even better.
Question on getting to the crossovers and the controls. Can't take the backs off so would I have take out a mid range or do you think the entire speaker mounting board can be removed after the grills are off? I do not have them here yet so I am just fishing around for info before they get here.
Nice to here from you! Hope all is well at home and with family.
Thanks
George

Well George, if you're the guy who outbid me on those on the Bay last week, I'm glad it was another AK'er. I've gotten stuff from that guy before (he's relatively close, so I do local pickup) and his stuff is usually in decent shape, mostly just needing cleanup. I didn't go too high since I really don't need another pair of speakers, but I've been looking for some Fishers to try out with my 500C. Good luck with them! Hopefully some XP-10's will show up soon...I'd really like to try those out.

Unless the Woofer is one of those that the magnet/frame assy is part of the cabinet, you can unscrew it and use the woofer hole. Haven't seen a factory bookshelf or slightly larger speaker with a removable baffle. If the back is sealed, then everything comes out thru the front.

Family is fine. New grandson. FINALLY!

Hi Mr Wetland
Gee...It was me that outbid you on Ebay. My cousin lives in Beacon and was kind enough to offer to pick them up for me and save the shipping....that's why I bid on them. Quick story....I had a chance to purchase a mint pair of XP10's last year from the guy that helps me out with rebuilds that are over my level of experience. I hemmed and hawed for a couple of weeks because of the cabinet size although they were beautiful. Well about the time I decided not to let a perfect opportunity slide by his shop was flooded with two feet of water and as the Fisher were stored on the floor.... they were ruined....Bummer!!!!!

I'm trying to remember.....:scratch2:

It's one of those designs that has the magnate attached to the inside of the box.
I don't remember it having a basket. The stuffing held the cone in place.

It's been too long for my foggy memory, but the woofer was destroyed in the removal.

Steve

Ok. thanks. Now i remember. It was one of those designs that FISHER had that was only on one or two models. PITA to do repairs on as you had to disconnect the cone from the front frame, everytime you needed to get inside.

GEORGE: Try and go in thru one of the mids (provided the hole is large enough). The magnet is mounted on a block setup and aligned withthe hole in front. There is NO FRAME BASKET. The cabinet, for all intents and purposes is the basket.

Supposedly they sounded fairly good. It's just they were hell to work on, and needed a shop for almost anything. Be careful and go real slow. I think there is a diagram of the premise in the FISHER speaker thread(I'm checking...BRB!) FOUND IT!!! In this thread....................

XP Series speakers: 1959-1973

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks Larry and everyone.
Well this ought to be a joy!!! When the speakers get here in the spring I will post a new thread and let everyone know how it all went. I will try working on them through the midranges.
Larry...by the way...when you recap the space expander its going to be tight under the hood.
George

Ok. thanks. Now i remember. It was one of those designs that FISHER had that was only on one or two models. PITA to do repairs on

Great info, now I remeber why they were such a PITA. Yea, try to get that Acousticloth off without destroying it.
I really liked the sound of those speakers. :music:

Steve

Thanks Larry and everyone.
Well this ought to be a joy!!! When the speakers get here in the spring I will post a new thread and let everyone know how it all went. I will try working on them through the midranges.
Larry...by the way...when you recap the space expander its going to be tight under the hood.
George

I let Fran keep the K-10. Didn't really have a need for it, and I already have a pioneer SR202W that I can plug in if I want reverb.

Back
Top Bottom