The Executive's Executive

Yesterday was the last trip to Urban's for the Fisher-branded Sony DK 555A r2r. Last night was spent getting it back in the drawer and tested. It is finally complete. All wires routed where they should be and a bit of adjustment of the recorder drawer front had to be done and I finally got the back covers on for the first time in months.

And suddenly, it's 1961!

Attachments

• DSCN3990.jpg
    DSCN3990.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN3991.jpg
    DSCN3991.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN3993.jpg
    DSCN3993.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN3996.jpg
    DSCN3996.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 29
Hiya,

Absolutely stunning and that Mic completes the look.

Thanks!!

Frannie

Walter; can you break down what you used to clean and restore the cabinet. Your's is absolutely STUNNING!

Larry

Well, I can but I'm sure I'll get a lot of flak. It really was kinda yukky at first. I went to my car restoration tricks. Eventually, the only thing that got the wax, the tar, the nicotine and the dust off was warm water and ammonia. I did a small area at a time and immediately dried it with a towel. I kept going until wiping it down didn't bring up anymore gunk and the finish looked the same on the whole surface. Then I let it dry and tried Maquires No. 7 polish by hand. I use this on my old cars. That worked well on the smaller areas like the drawers and front panel which I removed from the cabinet. The top was more of a challenge so I masked the decorative curves and out came the car buffer and a clean buffing pad. I just used a little polish and the buffer until it looked right. I did that with the top and the sides. It did take about a half a day with the buffer and several applications but the end result was worth it. The most important thing is to not burn through the lacquer.

Any dents or small gouges, I went over with brown shoe polish. It's only colored wax and made the small spots disappear. Everything else got a coat of Maguire's carnauba wax.

No Flak from me. If it works, and doesn't harm it, why not!!!! I'll give it a shot.

Larry

Walter, you've done a fantastic job bringing it back to life. Congrats to you!!

:thmbsp::thmbsp:

Sorry you got rid of it now, Chuck?

I'm really having a blast with it. Wish I could duct the heat those 42 tubes generates out to the garage. I have oil to change!

Sorry you got rid of it now, Chuck?

I'm really having a blast with it. Wish I could duct the heat those 42 tubes generates out to the garage. I have oil to change!

Sorry? No, actually thrilled that you're enjoying it so much. I'm not sure I have done that cabinet justice.

Besides, I've got a Fisher 400 to get up to speed!!

Back
Top Bottom