Cagney & Lacey - restoration of a couple of 400s

Bruce; V1 and V2 gave me more problems than any other tubes in the RF-IF area. I'd concentrate on them 1st, then work back from V6 to V3.

Yepper, wiggled V2 and got radio - big relief :) Still ain't right, weak sound and signal strength tube not working. I'll dig into it when I get Lacey to a listening stage.

Put some DeOxit on the tube pins, then insert in socket. Cycle in and out enough for the tube to enjoy it.

Tighten up the sockets.

Well, moving along... got Cagney fully working now. The radio section was a bit of a fiddle - could only get a very weak signal - but with the help of the guys here was able to find a cold solder joint. Fixed that, and did the FM de-emphasis for Europe per this discussion:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/messages/4/46315.html

Now FM sounds really nice. Although, the tuning eye will fully close on a station but it sounds crummy. Like the 's' in voices are distorted. BUT, you move the dial just a bit to where the tuning eye has a gap but the narrowest gap and it sounds great. Any ideas?

There was a buzzing noise in the power transformer. At first, just thought I'd leave it as you could only hear it when very near. But then, you start to hear it all the time - know what I mean - it was starting to drive me nuts like hearing it in your sleep. So, I tightened all the bolts to the lams and the mounting bolts and that seems to have licked it - here's hoping.

Meanwhile, the earlier model - Lacey - is pretty close to done, too. Here's a topside view:

attachment.php

Shots underneath. Went with Soviet K40Y-9 couplers. I like the Orange Drops in the other but just thought to do these for a change. Everything else is pretty much the same.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thought I'd try mult-turn trimmers for the adjustable bias (IBAM). Glad I did. This is by far the best way to go and really allows to dial them in.

attachment.php

Attachments

• L_top.jpg
    L_top.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 79
  • L_gut1.jpg
    L_gut1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 79
  • L_output.jpg
    L_output.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 80
  • L_bias.jpg
    L_bias.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 80
  • L_adj.jpg
    L_adj.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 80
C63

There was a question regarding the use of a safety 'Y' line-to-ground cap for C63. This is why I use one there... if a regular cap fails it would short and might take out the secondary winding in the power transformer, whereas if a 'Y' cap fails it won't short but opens most likely protecting the PT.

attachment.php

Attachments

• L_bias2.jpg
    L_bias2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 100
Thanks, NotD. When are we going to see that other 800 you're doing?

Not to hijack this thread but: I've been pretty quiet about it since I didn't want to clog the forum up with another 800c rebuild. However, I'm having a problem with the right channel so you'll see something from me soon.

This is why I use one there... if a regular cap fails it would short and might take out the secondary winding in the power transformer, whereas if a 'Y' cap fails it won't short but opens most likely protecting the PT.

Yup....cheap insurance against ending up with a rock......

or with a very bad headache:

http://www.justradios.com/safetytips.html

Wonderful job on this restore, I learned a lot of useful techniques here. Will have my 400 running soon!

Wonderful job on this restore, I learned a lot of useful techniques here. Will have my 400 running soon!

Many thanks! All the best with your restoration. It was just a few years ago I was doing the same thing - reading everything I could on the 400. There's been some big improvements since those days and it just keeps getting better. Guys like you will probably kick it up another notch - a very cool thing to see over the years :thmbsp:

Don't encourage him, Bruce.:yippy: :thmbsp: I'm having a hard enough time keeping my head above water now:naughty:

adios Cagney

Thought I'd post the concluding episode of Cagney & Lacey. Cagney the newer 400 version with the extra IF section ended up with a cold solder joint on the supply to the MPX section. Thanks to the help of guys here on another thread got that sorted and she sounded like a million bucks. Cagney now resides in Sweden to a new happy 400 fan.

Here's a few parting shots...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• c5.jpg
    c5.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 36
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 35
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 37
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 35
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 36
adios Lacey

Lacey ended up being a real bear... oddly, both of these guys had MPX issues. It's really hard to work on the MPX section while it's in the chasis - at least for my big hands. So, I ended up pulling it. There's about 1/2 dozen leads to undo and 3 screws. Once I had it out I had the bright idea to test the one from my parts unit. It worked great so ended up swaping it.

Had a beater cabinet from the parts unit but it cleaned up pretty nice with Howard's restore-a-finish. It had to happen... upon cleaning the dial glass the lettering started moving. I've done quite a few Fisher dial glasses and this was my first. Read where someone thought it was nicotine that loosens the paint - could very well be. Anyway, the new owner didn't seem to mind and she went back to the New World of Canada and ending her days playing beautiful music.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 37
  • l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 37
  • l3.jpg
    l3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 36
  • l4.jpg
    l4.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 41
  • l5.jpg
    l5.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 36
A few parting shot notes...

I had a chance to compare the two. Not exactly a one-to-one comparison as the newer version had Sprague orange drop couplers and the other, K40Ys. The K40Ys were just a bit better for me... seemed to offer a more enhanced sound nicer sounding french horns and vocals where the orange drops were a bit bass heavy. Describing sound is really not my thing and TBH they both sounded super. On the next Fisher, I'll try the original W Germany caps as I have a small hill of them now and they seem to be the current flavor.

There's been a lot of talk of the IBAM lately and just to add my opinion - I'll definitely be using multi-turn trimmers from now on. So much easier to dial-in. Since, I pull out the A/C outlets... on the next one I plan to cut-out the metal divider and mount the board with caps & resistors. Far too much fiddling with point-to-point.

Ain't got no more 400s :cry: We're leaving the UK so trying to lighten the load, but when we settle in hope to pick up where I left off.

There's been a lot of talk of the IBAM lately and just to add my opinion - I'll definitely be using multi-turn trimmers from now on. So much easier to dial-in.

I noticed that in your pic. Your new trimmer able to lock on the setting? I find the driftyness of the single turn pots mildly annoying especially after a couple of scotches :yes: Not a deal breaker but I'm curious if the multi's bring a bit more precision when making adjustments.

... on the next one I plan to cut-out the metal divider and mount the board with caps & resistors. Far too much fiddling with point-to-point.

:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom