Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

Those Diodes are even more rare than the germanium output's. They are a temperature compensating diode originally made by RCA (IIRC 1n2326 or something like that) about $30.00 each if you can find them. They either work or don't. If working leave them alone.
Larry

You saved me another screw up! Thanks Larry.

There is a The Fisher Console (49 ea) on Clist here that I thought I would share. I am not particularly interested in it because it is the "Early American" style option. If it was the Modern, I would be all over it.

Here are the photos from the listing. They say the radio works but the TT does not (of course). The asking price is $275. I am in boise, so if someone wants me to get it for them and come pick it up...

Attachments

• The Fisher.jpg
    The Fisher.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 80
  • The Fisher 2.jpg
    The Fisher 2.jpg
    684 bytes · Views: 188
  • The Fisher 3.jpg
    The Fisher 3.jpg
    1,012 bytes · Views: 190
Last edited:
There is a very nice '62 President VII console on ebay right now however it's not a working unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151471113510?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l4455&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI151471113510.N7.S2.M465.R3.TR12&autorefresh=true

57_1.jpg

57_2.jpg

57_3.jpg

57_4.jpg

57_5.jpg

57_7.jpg

Unbeknownst to me, before my wife and I were married 12 years ago, her parents gave a non-working Fisher to a friend, so he could gut it and turn the cabinet into a bar. THANK GOD he never did it, and let them know recently that he still had it, and was going to throw it away if they didn't want it. My brother-in-law told me about it and I told him to save it. No one could remember anything about it, except it was the first thing my mother-in-law bought when she graduated VCU. I received pictures of it today. Looks like a 51 Consolette.

I've worked on Magnavoxes before, but never anything quite this old. But I'm looking forward to a nice project, that will eventually play my 78s and Hi-Fi LPs.

Any help or advice from you folks will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5767.jpg
    IMG_5767.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6422.jpg
    IMG_6422.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2987.jpg
    IMG_2987.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 64
Judging by the appearance of the lettering and data plate, I'm guessing that's more like 57 or 58.

Welcome to the Fisher Forum. You should start a NEW THREAD on the 51 so everyone can see it, and you have a restoration thread to reference.

Download the schematic and parts list from www.fisherconsoles.com.

The Turntable is a RC-120 or 121. The difference is the HEADSHELL. The 120's is integral to the tonearm. The 121's is removable.

The cartridge is probably going to be a SONOTONE 2-T or 3T. No replacement parts for them so you'll need to replace the cartridge. Gary @ the Voiceof Music has a TETRAD replacement (EV 5279, Tetrad monaural) that works right well with the arm.
The only thing you have to do is rewire the arm to take the tetrad. It's STEREO COMPLIANT so you can listen to Stereo records also. http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cata...tridges&MfgName=Electro-Voice(EV)&Categories=

The chassis is nice and simple. Predecessor to the 510 chassis, and the amp section itself may have spawned the 30A.

Edit your profile so we know where you are. County / State is fine. You might be local to someone here.

Last edited:
I've updated my profile. I don't even have this it yet, but will start a thread when I do get it and start to work on it.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Found this advertised near me; the pictures are not great, but it appears to have a Dual turntable, and perhaps space for a reel-to-reel next to it.

Any ideas as to what model it is?
4f8094251cacfe18135869a54c268e0e.jpg
7946896c6d1adb485604af2b84e18471.jpg

Attachments

• fisher.jpg
    fisher.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Fisher blonde contemporary console?

This is my first post here. I've been a collector/admirer of antique radios and vintage hifi stuff for years. When I was 12 I built a Scott LT-110b tuner kit. It had been marked down on clearance as the new transistor stuff had replaced it a year or two earlier. That was 1967. I still have the old Scott and a packed house full of other stuff I've drug home along the way.

I know very little about Fisher consoles. I've read through this great thread and maybe missed it, but didn't see this one. It sort of looks like a 70-series to me maybe from around 1955? Can anyone identify it? The big round knobs on the cabinet doors look like the contemporary consoles from the early 60's, but this appears to be a mono system. It's being offered in a mid-century modern auction so I'm guessing it will be overpriced, but I would be interested to know what a reasonable value might be.

Matt
fisher_console.jpg

matt e. : I would guess it has a K-100 chassis in it, it sure look like it. The cabinet pulls look very much like what is on the 1957 Ebony Fisher Custom Electra II Console. Perhaps it is a 1956-58 Blonde version of an Electra II... I'd buy it no matter the cost!

Matt, in the second photo, (just below the tuning dial and right above the middle knob,) is a small rectangular brass badge which has the dimensions of Fisher's Coronet insignia: a crown. 'Coronet' is the model name; the cabinet is the 'Allegro'. They date from 1950 to 1954 and used Fisher's 'R' series receivers: R-1, R-2, R-3.

The Coronet was Fisher's mid-line offering below the Custom Sixty and above the Chairside, Electra and later Futura models. It was replaced in 1955 by the Custom Electra by which time this cabinet had been retired. Coronets originally sold for $595-745 in the Allegro cabinet whereas the Custom Sixty ranged up to $1,347. Values of Fisher consoles today are too inconsistent to offer any meaningful advice . . . and forum rules restrict $ discussion to the 'Dollars & Sense' forum.

Personally, I think that cabinet is fantastic. It looks like it has been exceedingly well taken care of and is totally original. Fisher consoles of this period were superlative - almost without peer. Restored, it would amaze you with its performance. The ring pulls you commented on were reprised by Fisher on their late 50s/early 60s top-of-the-line President model. That may be what gives it a 60s vibe but this is solidly a Truman era console.

EDIT: Forgive the dating errors in my old posts - a '54 Coronet brochure:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1763497#post1763497

Also Wrigley's gorgeous ebony Coronet:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4306508#post4306508

(Note Coronet badge.)

Last edited:
Forgive my elementary inclusion...
After reading TheRed1s Coronet corollary, you must understand the need to rescue it from the auction and restore it! Please save this piece!

Wow, what informative info. Thank you very much. It's about a month off, but I'll post an update on the outcome. When 1954 dollars are adjusted to today's dollars it's really remarkable how much people paid for this stuff.

I've got a '51 Coronet in the WARWICK cabinet. It was missing the speker and baffle. Rehabbing the chassis cost me about $75.00 for caps, and resistors, and a couple of tubes. The R series chassis isn't a hard one to rehab. ALL KINDS of Room inside, as do all of the 1950's MONO chassis'. What ever you do after you get it, DO NOT get rid of the speaker. If necessary have it rebuilt. The doulbe hump Jensen (coax) are running stupid $$$ by themselves. And if it has the multi cell Stevens in it, double that stupid $$$ price. Turntable is a WEBCOR (IIRC model 356) with the G.E. VR Cartridge. Schematics and OWNERS/SERVICE MANUAL are available in AKDATABASE.

Discussions of cost and actual money will force this into the D&S forum. Suffice it to say depending on the auction, and interest.....You could get away with it for a low of a couple of Andy Jackson's to high of a Couple of Ben Franklins.

In any event DO NOT PLUG IT IN DIRECTLY TO the wall 1st. Check out the tubes 1st, then bring it up on a variac/Dim Bulb Tester to verify the circuits are going to run correctly and that there are no shorted caps.

Last edited:
Here is a link of a Fisher that I wish I would have taken for free, back when my Aunt and Uncle moved into an assisted care facility. Back when I was a kid, I thought the sound on it was super great, and really loved it when I went over to my aunt and uncles, and they played records for my sister and I. But about 30 years ago, I turned it down, thinking well, it's only mono, and heavy to move to I said no. Gosh I wish I could find it again today. Of course I if I find one in tact, I probably couldn't even afford it. I guess it's really quite a collectors item now. Maybe someone around the Omaha, NE area still has it? I don't even know where it ended up. Hopefully not the dump. Here is the link to the exact one I could have had for free. It even has/had a sub-woofer facing down toward the floor.

http://fisherconsoles.com/photographs/custom electra II photographs.html

Here is a link of a Fisher that I wish I would have taken for free, back when my Aunt and Uncle moved into an assisted care facility. Back when I was a kid, I thought the sound on it was super great, and really loved it when I went over to my aunt and uncles, and they played records for my sister and I. But about 30 years ago, I turned it down, thinking well, it's only mono, and heavy to move to I said no. Gosh I wish I could find it again today. Of course I if I find one in tact, I probably couldn't even afford it. I guess it's really quite a collectors item now. Maybe someone around the Omaha, NE area still has it? I don't even know where it ended up. Hopefully not the dump. Here is the link to the exact one I could have had for free. It even has/had a sub-woofer facing down toward the floor.

http://fisherconsoles.com/photographs/custom electra II photographs.html

Nice,small console. It uses the expensive EL37 output tubes so I bet it did sound good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom