the real price for kappa 9s

pajopajo

greeting
what is the real price for the Kappa 9, the two speakers is broken membranes on the midrange speaker.
Everything else is fine.
How much it costs to repair these midrange speakers and whether it can be replaced only membrane.
Currently I have Infinity Kappa 8a but kappa 9 is something special http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/music.gif
Thank you for your answers

Attachments

• infinity kappa 9a.jpg
    infinity kappa 9a.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 104
Do you have an amp big enough to power then properly?
If not, you need to figure that cost into the equation in addition to the cost to repair or replace the bad polydomes.
There are a couple places that repair polydomes. Polydomes also show up ebay though pricing is very dependent on condition.

The amp does NOT have to be big. It need only to be capable of driving low impedance. Infinity was not lying when they stated power requirements for these speakers. My Son of Ampzilla 80wpch amp capable of 250w into 2ohm drives my Kappa 9s to Loud levels. However, the Kappas can also handle the 1000w peaks my LSR&D Superamp monos deliver. They sound great with either set up. Heck, my 40wpch Grandson doesn't sweat it within it's capability. I drove them with a pair of HK Citation 16s in mono with no problem. Acoustat TNT200s in mono also. Impedance capability is what matters regarding the amp which obviously declares it's over all power output but some amps just cannot be driven into low impedances.

To the op: you may have already discovered about the only way to fix those drivers is to find used replacements

If you have Kappa 8s already, isn't it the same polydome unit? You can just swap them, then take your time following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWldxVX4aQ

Previous post's amp advice is good. Stable into low impedance loads, like 2 ohms, is the key. They don't need tons of power, but it's also good to remember that the EMITs and sEMITs like autoformers (McIntosh) and FETs. Tube amps generally can't handle the low impedance load.

[Fixed thread title, changed 9a to 9s]

My point was BOTL and many mid level receivers are not a GOOD match for the 9's.

A pair recently sold on eBay for close to $1400. Since I've been paying attention, I've seen one pair sell for $4000, several between $1100 and $1600, and a couple of pairs below $1100

Currently I have a NAD amplifier 208
With Kappa 8 without doing great and loud and quiet sections.
I hope it is not too demanding kappa 9 speakers for NAD 208 amplifier?

greeting
what is the real price for the Kappa 9, .....

If you are simply looking for a speaker project to dive into then go for it, the Kappa 9's will keep you busy. Most here will say "go for it" because we are all Infinity fans. But you asked what is the "real price" of the Kappa 9's which is a practical question about cost vs benefit.

The real cost you won't know until after you buy them and assess what they need. Driver replacements, crossover repairs, and possible required upgrades to your amplifier(s).

Do your research on the Kappa 9's so you have a better idea of what you are getting into before you get into them and whether the incremental benefit of moving from Kappa 8's to Kappa 9's is worth it.

Figure on a $200-$250 for the mids, whether you replace with aftermarkets, repair these, or buy used ones on eBay.

I think it could have to do with that serious impedance dip serving to boost the bottom end more than just doubling the woofers.

1350 Euro is the price for kappa 9th
Is it too high because I have to replace two midrange speaker.
I see no reason that we NAD 208 could drive the kappa 9.
The specification states that the amplifier is 1 Oms stability.
"The MOSFET output stage delivers power plus signal speed and control, driving any loudspeaker load,
even Wednesday and below 1 ohm. "
Does anyone have experience with NAD amplifiers in combination with Kappa 9 ?

You have to use your own judgement. 1350 is not too much imo but nevertheless at the upper limit when you have issues with drivers or crossovers. But they would have to be in outstanding condition cosmetically for that price imo even if they had no issues. It all depends on how badly you want them. Europe is a sellers market when it comes to products not produced domestically and I'm sure you're very well aware of that. The amp you describe is well suited for the Kappas.

Bear in mind that a properly functioning pair of Kappa 9s will hold their own against anything costing what the Kappas would retail for if produced today. They're better than the other sota speakers I'm familiar with from that era, ie: B&W 801, Kef 105. So probably in the 10 to 20,000.00 range. They do everything well.

Last edited:
In searching on HiFi Shark for Infinity Renaissance 90's I noticed there were a lot of them up for sale in the EU. Have you considered them as an option instead of the Kappa 9's? I currently own Kappa 8's and if I were to upgrade to another Infinity the Renaissance 90's would be my first choice. They just don't come up for sale that often within driving distance from me or in the US for that matter.

I live in central Florida. Right now there are a pair of Kappa 9's for sale on Craigslist in Orlando for $800 that need some work. I spoke to the seller and he really wants to get rid of them and will come down in price. They would make a great project for someone willing to do so. Cabinets are pristine.

Also, here is a link to a discussion a few years ago on another site about using a NAD 208 to power Kappa 9's.
http://forums.audioreview.com/speakers/nad-208-infinity-kappa-9-a-39443.html

On the subject of mid range replacements, my Kappa 8.1i have replacement mid ranges from scanspeak, the model: D7608. They sound very good (and the kappas sounded better then most things i just heard at the High End Community Fair in Munich today). The crossover did need some mods for the replacement to work properly, but i can not tell you what those were, since the previews owner had them done by a expert. I also don't feel like taking mine apart to figure it out myself.

Back
Top Bottom