Scam Protection

JURB

The scam can work both ways. I have heard of people who got shipped audio that was only wrapped in a pillowcase, NOT EVEN A PILLOW. I have also heard of people getting a unit returned which was clearly not the one they sent.

So, as a problem solver, and having had "shit happen" so to speak, I have some ideas to throw out there, which I intend to use next time I do any online selling. I actually don't have Paypal so I don't use my account to sell, which can make it all that much more important.

In the auction itself goes the serial number of the unit. In fact put it right in front. That will keep swap type scammers at bay. Also save the page on your harddrive once generated. Also, take video or at least a series of pictures of the packing process to show how it was packed exactly. The advantage to that is twofold, one it inhibits a buyer based scam, and two, it makes any claims against the shipper a hell of alot easier.

Another really good way is the box inside a box method. Packing peanuts have no business around a reciever or amp, for ine they are too heavy. For that there is bubble wrap, and carpet padding works really well and I think is cheaper. I never really checked because it is not a huge issue and I had some laying around for that purpose. (got hardwood floors, don't need the stuff for anything else)

Use wood. Get a saw and some scrap wood, make boards slighty bigger than the unit and have blocks to prevent sliding that might bend knobs etc. And make sure you have picutres of course. Sometimes screw the pieces of wood right to the unit, depending. Of course that means getting longer screws and using the original holes, NOT making new ones, but that's kinda obvious. But on a really heavy amp or receiver with knobs, you don't want them screwed up, it is worse than a cracked circuit board these days.

After you got it in the box, then comes the packing peanuts. Throw the whole schmalz into a bigger box and surround it with those eminently annoying $%&#@# things.

The packing peanuts will not fill the box like your carpet padding or bubble wrap, expanding foam in bags insulation (that is GREAT stuff, forms right to anything, just use really good (or double) bags because when it sticks, it REALLY sticks). As such, on the outside box, which can be purchased new right at UPS or wherever, will deform easily if abused and that is evidence. It is like when they tell abused Women to take alot of aspirin because they will bruise more easily and that provides evidence agaist the MF who hit her. Also like the tatletale in harddrives. I little weight on a string of known strength, if broken it tells them if the harddrive has been dropped and the warranty is void. In fact they give a G force specification and the way they ship them, it is damn hard to exceed that spec in their packaging.

Bottom line, we are not dealing in beanie babies here. So a little extra trouble is worth it. And you can put the pictures of the packing process right on the auction page. I am not so sure about videos. You would have to host it yourself if anything, and then would they allow the link ? But doing that much would disuade at least some of the smarter scammers.

i have in the past checked the amount of times a parcel changes hands on the journey and packed accordingly .this has made me package for twice the journey and unexpected drops .. no probs as yet ..
give up selling for now as it happens ..

Yeah, it is easy to get turned off to that type of business. Do it all what you think is right and then it f cks up. Not good.

Accidemts are caused. If you prevent the cause you got it covered. In fact even if you make it ompossible, the cause can have at it and not succeeed in causing an accident.

I must go to bed soon.

Back
Top Bottom