Best system for $1,000 challenge

garncarz

I have been having an argument with my kid about building the best system on a $1K budget. Here's what I came up with (his current system):

Luxman L-5 integrated amp ($150 + $60 in caps)

OPPO OPDV971H DVD player (IMHO probably the best CD player in the world at the time, $185 in 2006)

Bang and Olufsen 5005 turntable ($285 + $100 parts/belts) Not an amazing sounding TT but I just like B&O design.

B&W 500 speakers ($200 in 1989 + $90 in caps)

What would you recommend?

No. My question is: With a $1K budget,the need for an amp, cd player turntable and speakers, and all vintage components on the internet, what would you chose?

Depends what you can get equipment for. If you can "score" gear for well under market value, or have an encyclopedic knowledge of gear that isn't well known, you can do a lot better than buying at retail. That knowledge comes from experience, and lots of listening.

Personally, if I was shooting for a high-performance system for about $1000, I'd pick up a Nakamichi Stasis SR4A receiver for $175-$200, Klipsch Forte I speakers for $400-$700, and find a Technics Direct Drive turntable for $100 that isn't beat, put a $50 Audio Technica AT95e cartridge on it, and enjoy the music.

Alternately, Replace the Stasis with a HarmanKardon TwinPower 430, 630, or 730. Probably can't get a 930 within budget.

Upgrade routes from there would be an Acurus L10 preamp ($300), using the power amp of the Nakamichi, then a phono stage of your choosing (Acurus made a P10). Then, get the Crites crossovers for the Klipsches. If you really feel the need to upgrade your power amp, find an Aragon 4004 or Yamaha PC2002M. Then, figure out what turntable route you want to go. That's a more personal choice.

Last edited:
My challenge is finding that $1,000!

I'll go with a Yamaha A-S501 integrated amp, a pair of KEF Q300 speakers and a Grace Digital Internet/FM tuner.

I would likely go with something like a used NAD intergrated amp, which can be had for around $150, or possibly a Yamaha or Rotel integrated. An early 2000's Pioneer Elite DVD player, which had very good Burr-Brown DACs and most can play SACD. These go for around $100-$150. Then I would browse all of the various used gear pages for the best $700 pair of speakers I could find. Probably monitors. Brands like Sonus Faber, Totem, Epos, ProAc. Would make for one sweet system. I would skip the turntable at this price range.

Yorkville YSM-1 $200ish shipped used
Dayens Ampino - $550
The Arcam Alpha 7 CDP I bought for $30
Surf Cables ICs and DIY Canare quad speaker cables - $100ish
spend the remaining $120 on some decent stands
or go crazy and buy some Quail hospital grade power cables for $11 a pop and some beer if I find the stands cheap.

Done.

My $1000.00 "Used" System....

Speaker System: KEF Reference 102 w/KUBE -- $300.00 (was $900.00 when I bought mine brand new in 1988)(e-Bay)

Speaker Stands: Pangea LS-200 24" Stands -- $70.00 (Audio Advisor)

Stereo Receiver: Nakamichi SR-3A Stasis -- $200.00 (e-Bay)

Turntable: Technics SL-1301 -- $250.00 (e-Bay)

Phono Cartridge: Shure M97xE -- $70.00 (e-Bay)

Compact Disc Player: Pioneer Elite DV-37 -- $100.00 (e-Bay)

System Total: $990.00 Plus Cables (which I would do for $250.00 or less)

--Charles--

Well let's see....

Sansui AU/TU 517. $275 Craigslist
Klipsch KG 4.2 $100 Craigslist
Thorens TD-160 $90 Craigslist
Thorens mods &
Upgrades $200
Grado F1+ $50 Ebay
Denon CDC 1560 $25 Salvation Army

Total $740

Not bad. Sounds very good too. :thmbsp:

It's mostly about personal luck scoring on CL, eBay or a garage sale....As
botrytis mentioned: 1000 people - 1000 (or maybe even more) different stories and opinions.
But I'll play along:
- Unison Research Unico integrated amplifier
- Coincident Technologies Partial Eclipse speakers
- Alchemist Nexus APD32a CD Player - all 3 from eBay $152.50 total
- Music hall MMF 2.1 - $50 from CL

A tad over 200 bucks.
Beat that!

Its all about the luck. My system:
Apt Holman Preamp-$100
Apt Power amp 1-$20
DCM Timeframe 600-$0
Sony sa-w2500 sub-$30
Computer-$0
MCS(Technics) turntable-$50

Now, the Other system:
Realistic Nova 7b, Realistic sta-84, BSR 310 turntable, JVC xl-v231 CD player-$0

Does your son have a lot of records already? If not, I'd spend the $1k on a receiver/amp, CDP and speakers first. Add the TT later.

If he can find them used, the system would come in under $1k.

My picks:

CD Player - $200: (also plays MP3 CDs and has a built-in headphone amp)
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004UR48...TF8&colid=28I78N2NAL6TG&coliid=I3CDI7RR4L3P5Z

Receiver/amp - $400: (Note that this receives WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. so it is much more desireable than an regular old AM/FM receiver.)
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B012J1DK...TF8&colid=28I78N2NAL6TG&coliid=I2TLLYXIWMI5BC

Speakers - $480:
http://smile.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-...8&qid=1443538311&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+160m

Turntable - $250: (get later or charge it ;) )
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002S1CJ...olid=28I78N2NAL6TG&coliid=I2PEV4X3V3YM1&psc=1

If I had to trim this to be around $1k, I would probably downgrade the speakers to these:

http://smile.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-...38528&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+bookshelf+speakers

and add a basic sub:
http://smile.amazon.com/Sony-SA-W25...qid=1443538557&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+subwoofer

Don't laugh; I have that sub, and have auditioned the speakers. They are shockingly good. They compare well with Polk and Klipsch with the same woofer size costing a lot more.

id pick up a
Dynaco st70 tube amp..400.00
Dynaco pas 2 tube pre..250.00
Sony es cd player...100.00
KLH model 1or 2/w bass comp speakers...250.00
These speakers were pricey and are hard to find but when availavle that's what I payed .You may have to shop around to find a dyna st70 for 400 as well but ive bought them for less.All used obviously but fully working /recapped pieces are out there.
An excellent Vintage tube system that would bring higher end sound for the bucks

hunter

I got a PAS for $10 last week, it still happens. The amp with the pre was an Adcom GFA-535 with fatigued fuses, also $10. I would have expected a Dyna Stereo 70 paired with it but apparently the po went with an update ca 1990.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Magnepan MG-IIa loudspeakers $425
Hafler DH-110 preamp $180
Hafler DH-220 power amp $200
Any old disc player for $15 - keep trying till you find a nice one
That leaves $180 for a vintage TT of some sort...

I might be tooting my own horn, but certainly, without question, mine :)

It took a LOT of sweat equity, but in truth it's $1500+, and over $2,000 with the MacMini and hard-drive which is basically my media playback device and streamlines this process..

All of these are "as received" shipped to me prices.. Not posting all this to make you feel bad about your budget or to anyone else for spending so much, but to prove that incredible sound does not need to cost a ridiculous sum. I've heard 20k-100k systems in a local group I'm a part of.. I am the "black sheep" of the group because I am viewed as a cheapskate, they wouldn't care to admit that my system sounds all that great as a result as they have to justify what they've spent on their systems in order to wrap their heads around it.. but I feel my system easily rivals theirs and in many ways outclasses them, especially in replicating acoustic instruments and vocals... I have a small room and dynamics are not as big of an issue, admittedly all of theirs have better dynamics. I do, however, have other speakers that would blow all theirs away in terms of dynamics, just not warranted where I currently live.

My system is as follows:

Gear:

Yamaha YP-D6 with Signet TK3Ea Cart. ($120)
Teralink X2 with ext. PS, USB>SPDIF converter, ($75)
Nakamichi CA-5 pre, ($280)
Pioneer ELITE DV-S9 ($277.77), it has more than $800 worth of mod work and I happened to stumble on it, on the bay just recently
ClassDaudio SDS-224 kit amp, ($350)
Sherwood "HSU" SWH-672 subwoofer ($47.77),bought brand new on closeout
Audio Nirvana Classic 8" drivers in custom BLH cabinets (~$350) (paid $400 for a "package deal" for the cabinets along with oethich came with drivers installed, the drivers were $200 with my 20% dealer pricing)

Cabling,

PYST 1m USB ($24)
Custom Coax ($60) Trust me this was a hard thing to wrap my head around, but the differences are staggering and totally unexpected for a digital cable.
Custom RCA's ($70) total for all 3 pairs custom built for their part in the chain ie. impedance/capacitance matching
Power cords ($40) total, including a super nice Monster Power cable, which started this whole hi-end power cord debate, it just happens to work for me for it's length.

Speaker wire is "Ceiling" wire I bought from an AKer probably ($20) in total

4 Smores (basically rubber bricks which I use for isolating certain gear or getting the height right) ($4)
8 rubber cups for rising gear a bit for heat concerns, got 'em at the dollar store for ($2)

Paid ($6.50) for the cabinet as I got two of them at Goodwill for $13 for the pair, and they are glorious real hardwood and custom built with smoked glass, I love them!

($4) for cinder block speaker "stands" bought at Home Depot.

Furman Power strip was ($29) on Amazon, but I've had it for 7-8 years now

Outlet "industrial grade" Leviton, ($6) at Home Depot (at least as good as any "audiophile" outlet.

Room "tune" treatments on stand mounts ($75), if my memory serves on price, but it may have been $125? These make a HUGE differences as you can move them and place them in the room wherever you wish without having to hang on the wall etc.

Foam acoustic treatments diy'd on boards ($20)

Carpet pads on wood frames, diy'd ($30)

Not necessary of course, but I do also use a

MacMini was ($400) in total with the monitor
It's sitting on a desk I got for free.
3TB HD, ($117) on Amazon closeout

I also mention ALL of this to give you the full scope of what's all involved in building a system. It's not just the electronics and speakers, everything factors in.

If you want "done dirt cheap" great sound, and don't mind vintage..

I'd highly recommend the Yamaha YP-D6 table mentioned above with at AT440MLa cartridge, Art DJ phono pre, Sont TA-N110 "integrated" amp, JBL L36/L19/L16, or Dynaco A-25's. Out to put you well in under $1000 and give GREAT sound, not too far off of what I listed above, I can say this with assurance because I have had all of this connected before.

Lamp wire could be used for speaker wire and solid DIY'd RCAs, but Acoustic Research has some nice ones that are always on sale on Amazon, under $10 for a 6' cable.

It's mostly about personal luck scoring on CL, eBay or a garage sale....As
botrytis mentioned: 1000 people - 1000 (or maybe even more) different stories and opinions.
But I'll play along:
- Unison Research Unico integrated amplifier
- Coincident Technologies Partial Eclipse speakers
- Alchemist Nexus APD32a CD Player - all 3 from eBay $152.50 total
- Music hall MMF 2.1 - $50 from CL

A tad over 200 bucks.
Beat that!

I can't! Never heard of the first 3 and I've been around the block in this hobby... curious how you stumbled on all of those?

Back
Top Bottom