Hello From Elkton, MD (Hair Metal Addict)

briandrex

Hello from Elkton, MD. Came across this great forum when looking for information on my Nakamichi RX-202 and RX-505. Yes I'm the guy who saved all of his cassettes from his childhood, every CD I've ever purchased and owns an IPOD but would rather spin vinyl now that I've gotten back into that as well.

Current Setup

Kenwood KR-V6050 (Receiver)
Nakamichi RX-202 (Cassette)
LXI Series CD Player (Purchased New 1988, Sentimental Value)
Audio-Techna AT-LP 120 (Turntable, new this year love it!)
KLH 1000 Series Model AV2000 (Speakers)

Looking to go more old school for a receiver and some nice old speakers to really make my hair metal rock. I wanna feel this music again. Lets just say my music collection has each album on Vinyl, CD and Cassette and for groups I really like there are multiple copies of each. My favorite bands are Stryper, White Lion, Sleeze Beez, Queensryche, Metallica, Megadeth, Danger Danger, etc....you get the point.

My budget on a new system can go up to $1,500.00. I have a Nakamichi Rx-505 that needs a complete restoration and I realize that's $500 in itself. Basically looking for some ideas on a kick ass receiver. Really like the looks for the old Marantz and Kenwoods I've seen on here. Also need to get some really nice speakers that I can appreciate the screaming guitars and just screaming of the vocals as well. I wanna feel the kick drum right in my face.

Looking forward to learning a bunch on here and putting together a really nice looking vintage system that sounds like I remember the music when I was 16.

welcome from the eastern shore....

if you're a hair metal fan then the operative question is "where were you in 82"?

Personally I was stationed in England in the USAF and was listening to the new british pop movement ala Culture Club, Human League, Depeche Mode, Spandau Ballet, etc.

But I do like to see a blonde riding the hood of a car in the fog....

Cheers,
Wayne

welcome from the eastern shore....

if you're a hair metal fan then the operative question is "where were you in 82"?

Personally I was stationed in England in the USAF and was listening to the new british pop movement ala Culture Club, Human League, Depeche Mode, Spandau Ballet, etc.

But I do like to see a blonde riding the hood of a car in the fog....

Cheers,
Wayne

In 82 I was 8 years old in third grade. Hair metal for me started when I was 13 in 87. I agree on the hood of the car lol

Hello from Elkton, MD. Came across this great forum when looking for information on my Nakamichi RX-202 and RX-505. Yes I'm the guy who saved all of his cassettes from his childhood, every CD I've ever purchased and owns an IPOD but would rather spin vinyl now that I've gotten back into that as well.

Current Setup

Kenwood KR-V6050 (Receiver)
Nakamichi RX-202 (Cassette)
LXI Series CD Player (Purchased New 1988, Sentimental Value)
Audio-Techna AT-LP 120 (Turntable, new this year love it!)
KLH 1000 Series Model AV2000 (Speakers)

Looking to go more old school for a receiver and some nice old speakers to really make my hair metal rock. I wanna feel this music again. Lets just say my music collection has each album on Vinyl, CD and Cassette and for groups I really like there are multiple copies of each. My favorite bands are Stryper, White Lion, Sleeze Beez, Queensryche, Metallica, Megadeth, Danger Danger, etc....you get the point.

My budget on a new system can go up to $1,500.00. I have a Nakamichi Rx-505 that needs a complete restoration and I realize that's $500 in itself. Basically looking for some ideas on a kick ass receiver. Really like the looks for the old Marantz and Kenwoods I've seen on here. Also need to get some really nice speakers that I can appreciate the screaming guitars and just screaming of the vocals as well. I wanna feel the kick drum right in my face.

Looking forward to learning a bunch on here and putting together a really nice looking vintage system that sounds like I remember the music when I was 16.

You have many options. Since you seem to like "In your face" type sound, I could suggest some JBL L100t's and perhaps a Pioneer SX series receiver. Old school, classic, and quality.

Turntables? You have many choices on that as well. My advice is do not buy on Epay (packing disasters are well documented) and perhaps peruse Bartertown for someone close by.

If you were closer, I could definitely hook you up on the speakers and receiver. Shipping would be a bummer, tho.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride. I too, love some hair metal. I lived it first time around. (see bottom of my sig)

You have many options. Since you seem to like "In your face" type sound, I could suggest some JBL L100t's and perhaps a Pioneer SX series receiver. Old school, classic, and quality.

Turntables? You have many choices on that as well. My advice is do not buy on Epay (packing disasters are well documented) and perhaps peruse Bartertown for someone close by.

If you were closer, I could definitely hook you up on the speakers and receiver. Shipping would be a bummer, tho.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride. I too, love some hair metal. I lived it first time around. (see bottom of my sig)

Thank you for the suggestions. Nice look you definitely lived it the first time around. I hate to say it but some of Michael Boltons tunes were pretty good. I definitely didn't listen in public but in the confines of my room as a teenager I'm sure I sang along, although only a couple of times.

The journey on here will be fun!

Back
Top Bottom