5 dollar Coral BX-300s

xplus93

Couldn't pass these up for five bucks. I'm not too fond of how they sound. They sound a bit muddy and I have to apply heavy adjustment on my receivers tone controls to get them sounding anywhere decent. I'm guessing new caps should help? Also cabs aren't too bad a few nicks in the veneer and some scratches that some howards and 000 steel wool should take care of.

Attachments

• imgp9978.jpg
    imgp9978.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 139
  • imgp9980.jpg
    imgp9980.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 103
  • imgp9981.jpg
    imgp9981.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 119
  • imgp9982.jpg
    imgp9982.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 220
Don't know those, but the cabs should clean up nicely. I'd do a block sanding with 220 grit, then refinish with the product you like best. Can't hurt to throw in new caps as well. May sound very good when you're done.
Definitely worth 5 bucks!

Glenn

Yeah. My local goodwill is amazing. I god those kenwood LS-407Bs they're sitting on for 20 bucks plus a refoam kit. I saw another post that had the correct replacement caps in it. I'm not too great at soldering, but this should be a simple job.

These are what could be considered the better of Coral's offerings IMO.

These are 3-way with a ten inch vented AlNiCo woofer, Coral paper mid, and an AlNiCo horn tweet. The Coral speakers of old knew not how to build a proper crossover, and that's probably the most of the muddiness you're experiencing.

Attachments

• IMG_20150730_140424573.jpg
    IMG_20150730_140424573.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20150730_140338638.jpg
    IMG_20150730_140338638.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20150730_140318914.jpg
    IMG_20150730_140318914.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 134
Coral's good stuff looked like this:

b-200.jpg

beta-10.jpg

These are what could be considered the better of Coral's offerings IMO.

These are 3-way with a ten inch vented AlNiCo woofer, Coral paper mid, and an AlNiCo horn tweet. The Coral speakers of old knew not how to build a proper crossover, and that's probably the most of the muddiness you're experiencing.

I see a 1 uf nonpolar electrolytic in there, and a rather ancient one at that. Replace those with some Dayton metallized polyprop film caps for a couple bucks and I bet those speakers will sound a lot better even with the simple crossover design.

The Coral BX series to me is a bit like CS series Pioneer. Both have a lot of crap models to shovel through to get to the decent stuff.

They aren't the best Coral offered, but they are so far from the bottom of the barrel kabuki offerings they had at the time that I would most definitely consider it a "good" Coral.

Ex: Coral BX 1500

Coral1.jpg

Well, i've started liking them a bit more after i've listened to them some more. Maybe they just needed a bit of exercise after sitting so long. I also noticed one of the binding posts is damaged. It looks like something hit it and damaged the plastic piece that holds them. Is this an easy to find replacement part? I 'm thinking about putting in something that can accept pins or banana plugs.

I remember loooog ago Coral made what looked like perfect clones of JBL alnico compression drivers. Were they any good? Are they still floating around used?

Wouldn't have a clue. I saw a few coral drivers on the bay. I'm starting to really have some respect for this brand. Makes me feel badd for passing up another higher end pair a couple weeks ago.

I should mention that these speakers are very picky in their positioning. These are meant to be on their sides so that the horn is positioned at the top right and the badge is positioned at the bottom right. It should pretty drastically improve the imaging if you haven't tried them this way.

To me these speakers have a really unique sound that I've never been able to match to anything else. Perhaps it's simply because it's the only AlNiCo speaker I've owned. I'd call the sound warm, but in a much different way than I'd call a more modern speaker warm. They're just simply not fatiguing at any level of volume, the horn is very detailed but at the same time is incredibly soft and easy to listen to.

I flipped the right one so that both woofers are in the center and angled them slightly inward. Definitely hrlps the sound of them. IIRC my L100s have alnico components, i can definitely here some similarities in the sound.

late to the BX-300 party

I had previously installed the 2H-15A horn from a set of BX-300 in my Santanas and being impressed with them decided to find a complete set of speakers. Picked up a pair 2 weeks ago off of CL and listened to them until the new caps arrived. The horn didn't sound the same until I recapped them today, very muted. After recap wow its the same tweeter I was familiar with. The mids are still a little lacking. I get mid tones but they seem to come as much from the 10" as the 4" mid cone. Hoping a little more time on the mid and caps will help. I do have them running on a receiver with mid tone controls to assist. Really happy with them on their side and woofers to the center as xplus93 suggested. Warm and non-fatiguing is my take also.

Couldn't pass these up for five bucks. I'm not too fond of how they sound. They sound a bit muddy and I have to apply heavy adjustment on my receivers tone controls to get them sounding anywhere decent. I'm guessing new caps should help? Also cabs aren't too bad a few nicks in the veneer and some scratches that some howards and 000 steel wool should take care of.
I am running 1...with some satellites, and it sounds like a pair. Fantastic buy! Has everybody left the party?! I do need a partner for it....anyone?

I recently acquired a pair of these and recapped them. Highs and mids are awesome, with a great imaging as others have mentioned. But there is almost no bass. Is this true for others?

Back
Top Bottom