Farnsworth Console

kdooley

AK Member
Subscriber
I went over to a local antique mall not too far from my house just to see what they had lying around. I passed a group of WW II era furniture without much of a thought and went on to check out the rest of the mall. On my way back by I glanced towards the furniture when I noticed this:

picture.php

picture.php

I stopped in my tracks and walked back to check it out. I had to move a ton of other crap to free it up enough to take a look into the back of the unit where I found this tag.

picture.php

The price was already pretty cheap and I went to the counter and asked the lady working there if she could call the people that owned it and make an offer for me. Much to my surprise they accepted at less than half of an already low asking price. I figured, why not. Farnsworth was made in my wife's hometown and being as her dad is an electrical engineer and here step-dad was a TV repairman, I've heard plenty about Farnsworth over the years.

I got it home and the first thing I did was pull and test all the tubes. (No, I wasn't dumb enough to fire it up). Here is a list; one 7AG7, one 6AG5, one 6C4, four 6SK7s, one 6H6, one 6SA7, two 6SQ7s, two 6V6GTs, and on 5U4. About half tested bad so I went ahead and ordered replacements for those. I don't know what I'm going to do with this yet. It has two projects ahead of it in line. I might try to do a complete restoration or I could just yank the amp and tuner a make a mono system out of it. The turntable concerns me most because I don't know where to begin with that one. It has a three band tuner with AM/FM and shortwave. Dig those crazy FM channels. Here are some more pictures.

picture.php

Turntable: I don't know what all those crazy contraptions are for.

picture.php

picture.php

Three-band tuner

picture.php

Close-up of amp

picture.php

Best picture I could get of the speaker

picture.php

What the heck is that!

I found a some advertising and a schematic online and plan on pulling it apart when I get a chance. Any input would be appreciated.

Kevin

1947 model, at least that's when Sams covered it. I don't think I have #24-18, but I can look.

"What the heck is that!" That is the antenna for the AM and shortwave. Most likely has another connection for FM antenna

The FM antenna is probably attached to inside of the case someplace. I had a Farnsworth chairside around that same vintage. FM uses the old log scale system, like TV, that fell out of favor by 1949.

Thanks for the input everyone. It's a 1947 model for sure. I thought that was some kind of antenna. I've never had shortwave before but I can't wait to check it out.

I'd restore that one and run it for what it is. It makes for a nice mono console. I might update the record changer though. THat one looks like 78-only.

Anything from before 1949 is 78 only. All there was. I believe LP's were introduced in late 1948 but very few players hit the market that early. It had a little bit of a head start over 45's which started in 1949, if I recall correctly. And if I don't, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I've got a nice Dual 1009 that I might throw in it. It has some motor issue right now that I'm trying to work out.

Anything from before 1949 is 78 only. All there was. I believe LP's were introduced in late 1948 but very few players hit the market that early. It had a little bit of a head start over 45's which started in 1949, if I recall correctly. And if I don't, I'm sure someone will correct me.

yeah, they both came out close to the same time. Many of these sets were upgraded to a changer that would play LPs though. People didn't want an "obsolete" unit in only 2 years, especially if it was a higher end rig to begin with.

It MIGHT be the old prewar FM band, 40-48, instead of our 88-108 one.. Even if it is, you'll have a good AM & SW radio...

Philo T. Farnsworth was one of the BIG pioneers of early TV. That, in & of itself, would be reason enuf for ME to wanna grab this thing..

It MIGHT be the old prewar FM band, 40-48, instead of our 88-108 one.. Even if it is, you'll have a good AM & SW radio...

No, it's modern FM. My set had the same chassis.

I would not put a Dual in it. Just a waste, like putting a BMW engine in a 1947 Hudson. Plus it's not going to handle a magnetic cartridge without a preamp. 1950's VM changers are a dime a dozen, nearly bulletproof, and parts are still available through Gary Stork.

During this period, it was Capehart/Farnsworth. They sold to ITT around 1950. ITT dropped the Farnsworth name and branded everything Capehart.

Last edited:
No, it's modern FM. My set had the same chassis.

I would not put a Dual in it. Just a waste, like putting a BMW engine in a 1947 Hudson. Plus it's not going to handle a magnetic cartridge without a preamp. 1950's VM changers are a dime a dozen, nearly bulletproof, and parts are still available through Gary Stork.

During this period, it was Capehart/Farnsworth. They sold to ITT around 1950. ITT dropped the Farnsworth name and branded everything Capehart.

Great !! Well, I've run acrost a couple sets that actually have BOTH FM bands..

Philo T. Farnsworth was one of the BIG pioneers of early TV. That, in & of itself, would be reason enuf for ME to wanna grab this thing..

Farnsworth is a local celeb figure in Utah and Idaho, where he spent his early years before San Fran and Philly with Philco.
Nathaniel Baldwin is another Utah inventor, some credit him with the invention of headphones. I'm involved with some folks sorting out his history and inventions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Whatever you do, DO NOT put RCA branded tubes in that unit!
We don't want Farnsworth spinning in his grave! :)

Putting a tube from David Sarnoff's company would do that to the poor guy. Lol

Very cool find.

Farnsworth is a local celeb figure in Utah and Idaho, where he spent his early years before San Fran and Philly with Philco.
Nathaniel Baldwin is another Utah inventor, some credit him with the invention of headphones. I'm involved with some folks sorting out his history and inventions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I think Farnsworth actually invented TV, didn't he? I've heard he came up with the idea while cutting his grass. It's what gave him the idea of pixels. I could be wrong, but that's what I have heard while working at RCA in the 80's.

Back
Top Bottom