Time to get serious about my CR-1020

tensleep

Addicted Member
My late Uncle Skook gifted me his CR-1020 a few years back. Cosmetically, it is in excellent shape. I would like to have it serviced and any repairs made by a professional; however, I don't know who to go to. I live in Rockwall, TX, and would like to go local, if possible. Do you have any recommendations for a good local tech?

Hmmm, well, I suppose I will have to stop in some of the local electronics shops and see for myself.

I am sorry but I live in Hawaii, Florida and Washington state - so I can't help. If I was local, I'd do it for you.

I am sure eventually, someone local will chime in.

I used to own a 1010 and I am glad you are servicing your CR-1020. One hellava Receiver. I wish I had never sold my 1010. I still have my CA-810 from my College Daze. ;) Love it.

Once you get it serviced and set back up, please post some pics for us Yamaha lovers.

Thanks!

PS - it would help if you posted a thread with the title "NEED YAMAHA SERVICE IN DALLAS AREA - SUGGESTIONS?"

This way prospective help will be notified immediately by your post headder and you may get better returns.

Good luck!

Last edited:
So the CR-1020 made it into the shop today for a full recap, cleaning and tuning. I plan on paring it with my Bozak 302a in Barzilay cabinetry with console my Kenwood KD 5066 turntable with wood plinth. All of the wood is very close to the same color and grain, so this system should look and sound fantastic when all is done.

So the CR-1020 made it into the shop today for a full recap, cleaning and tuning. I plan on paring it with my Bozak 302a in Barzilay cabinetry with console my Kenwood KD 5066 turntable with wood plinth. All of the wood is very close to the same color and grain, so this system should look and sound fantastic when all is done.

I still have one that I purchased new, once updated, you will have a great sounding receiver.

I am so stoked! The tech seemed to know what he was doing. He had some very nice gear on his out rack and his bench was meticulously clean. He uses only Nichicon Muse for the caps.

I am so stoked! The tech seemed to know what he was doing. He had some very nice gear on his out rack and his bench was meticulously clean. He uses only Nichicon Muse for the caps.

When you get it back be sure to use it, and use it heavily starting day 1 let it run all day, the service shop will probably give you something like 30 days warranty on the work. Given the age of the units, unforeseen problems can follow even the best job, so use it. These units have to breath freely, it has to sit on top of something and no sides or top.

The 2020 has a heat problem, you might ask the tech to pay attention to the heat on the 1020 in case it needs bigger heat sinks or a more efficient rectifier, but I don't think the rectifier is the heat issue.

When you get it back be sure to use it, and use it heavily starting day 1 let it run all day, the service shop will probably give you something like 30 days warranty on the work. Given the age of the units, unforeseen problems can follow even the best job, so use it. These units have to breath freely, it has to sit on top of something and no sides or top.

The 2020 has a heat problem, you might ask the tech to pay attention to the heat on the 1020 in case it needs bigger heat sinks or a more efficient rectifier, but I don't think the rectifier is the heat issue.

This is the plan, for sure - run it hard. Replacing the thermal paste is certainly on the tech's todo list.

Should be a nice sounding setup.I found my 302a sound best powered by Yamaha.

I ran the Yamaha with my Bozaks for awhile, but the receiver was not running properly, so it was shelved for 6 years. In the mean time, I have tobinized my Bozaks. I will probably pull the cabinets into the shop for their annual cleaning/oiling. I will add the missing back curtain at that time and rotate the woofers, just to cross the t's and dot the i's. Then, I have to pick out a wireless streaming DAC......

Looky Looky!

I got an update from my tech:

Billy,
Just FYI:
I got the caps, here is a shot of the Input and Tone Control buffer boards with their new compliment of snazzy black-and-gold Nichocon KW-grade electrolytic capacitors.

The unit all works but is full of dirty controls. The cleaning will take care of that.
One wrinkle: someone has previously been in there, replaced the meter lamps with a different size lamp than is supposed to be in there, and they used a bunch of glue to mount them. As they somewhat destroyed the mountings, I am going to have to do something creative to get the meter lamps working. I’m sure I can figure it out, it just will take me a bit longer as I will probably have to order some oddball-size lamp to fit the holes. I’ll let you know.
Continuing… more later.
Guy

Attachments

• Input and Tone Control Buffer Boards 011715.jpg
    Input and Tone Control Buffer Boards 011715.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 111
Pics attached.

Attachments

• P1010084.jpg
    P1010084.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 798
  • P1010085.jpg
    P1010085.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010086.jpg
    P1010086.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 872
  • P1010087.jpg
    P1010087.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 59
  • P1010088.jpg
    P1010088.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 70
Congrats! Having one of these classic beauties myself, I can attest to their wonderful sound.

Mine has been serviced and is currently sitting on a shelf, patiently waiting for me to get the time to take the speakers in my avatar and reinstall them back in their custom cabinet, which when setup in my bedroom will be paired up with my cr1020.

Back
Top Bottom