Need help regarding my Yamaha RX-V477 system

Vettecor

Its been 24 years since I last purchased new video and audio equipment. I figured its about time to make the plunge.

I purchased a Magnavox HD Smart TV. The TV has Pandora, You Tube, Vudu, and Netflix preloaded on it. All those apps worked with no problem. I wasn't happy with the sound from the TV so I purchased a Yamaha 5.1 surround sound receiver. Model number RX-V477.

I also purchased 2 Cerwin Vega speakers, One Pioneer center speaker. I decided to use 2 Radio Shack speakers that I already had. Those speakers were used on my Yamaha RX-730 receiver that was over 24 years old. The only thing that was wrong with that receiver is that the display light burnt out a few months ago. Now back to the new setup.

I used HDMI one on the receiver to my cable box. I then connected my new LG Blu-Ray player using HDMI and went to HDMI 2 on the receiver. Then HDMI on TV to HDMI OUT on the receiver. I then connected my speakers and turned off the internal speakers on TV.

Everything worked and sounded GREAT !!! BUT, when I go to one of the preloaded apps on the TV it gives me video but no audio. All the TV channels work giving me video and audio, just the preloaded apps no audio.

What did I do wrong ? Is there something I forgot to do ? Sorry for the length of this post but I wanted to give you all the facts.

Thanks

Yes, I'm using the receiver as a hub for everything else. Everything I hooked up is coming thru the external speakers EXCEPT when I go to the preloaded apps on the TV. It provides video but no audio.

Its been 24 years since I last purchased new video and audio equipment. I figured its about time to make the plunge.

I purchased a Magnavox HD Smart TV. The TV has Pandora, You Tube, Vudu, and Netflix preloaded on it. All those apps worked with no problem. I wasn't happy with the sound from the TV so I purchased a Yamaha 5.1 surround sound receiver. Model number RX-V477.

I also purchased 2 Cerwin Vega speakers, One Pioneer center speaker. I decided to use 2 Radio Shack speakers that I already had. Those speakers were used on my Yamaha RX-730 receiver that was over 24 years old. The only thing that was wrong with that receiver is that the display light burnt out a few months ago. Now back to the new setup.

I used HDMI one on the receiver to my cable box. I then connected my new LG Blu-Ray player using HDMI and went to HDMI 2 on the receiver. Then HDMI on TV to HDMI OUT on the receiver. I then connected my speakers and turned off the internal speakers on TV.

Everything worked and sounded GREAT !!! BUT, when I go to one of the preloaded apps on the TV it gives me video but no audio. All the TV channels work giving me video and audio, just the preloaded apps no audio.

What did I do wrong ? Is there something I forgot to do ? Sorry for the length of this post but I wanted to give you all the facts.

Thanks

Your RX477 has ARC (Auto Return Channel) capability. If your Magnavox TV also does, you could use that. This would involve using your TV as the hub instead of the receiver (plugging everything into the TV, then using the HDMI ARC cable as the input to the receiver).

However, I've read that many ARC implementations only send 2.0 or Dolby Digital audio signals, and not necessarily DTS or other audio signals.

Because of that reason - you could try one of the two following configurations. (I prefer the first):

1. Use the TV as the hub. Plug the cableTV and Bluray HDMIs into the TV. Then use the optical output of the TV (I'm assuming it has one) and run a Toslink optical cable from it to the RX477 optical input. In most TVs, the optical will pass the 2.0 and Dolby Digital audio signals, in addition to passing DTS and other digital signals. You may have to 'enable' the digital audio output signal setting in the TV's menu. Then no matter what 'input' you have the TV selected to (cable, Bluray, or any of the Apps), the TV will pass the digital audio signal (via optical) to the receiver. Select the TV optical input on the receiver, and you should be good to go.

2. Continue to use the reciever as the hub as you have now, but add an optical cable from the TV to the receiver as described above. When watching cableTV or Bluray and having the receiver selected to that input, it will work the same as it does now. When watching Apps, you'll have to switch then input of the receiver to the TV optical input, in addition to switching the TV to the apps input.

The advantage of #1 is that you just need to turn on the receiver and always keep it on the same input (TV optical) no matter what you watch on TV. You would use the TV remote to switch between inputs.

If you use the reciever as the hub (#2), you would switch inputs on the receiver (cable, bluray, TV/apps) and also the TV (HDMI from reciever, and apps). A few more button pushes on remotes....

Last edited:
Your RX477 has ARC (Auto Return Channel) capability. If your Magnavox TV also does, you could use that. This would involve using your TV as the hub instead of the receiver (plugging everything into the TV, then using the HDMI ARC cable as the input to the receiver).

However, I've read that many ARC implementations only send 2.0 or Dolby Digital audio signals, and not necessarily DTS or other audio signals.

Because of that reason - you could try one of the two following configurations. (I prefer the first):

1. Use the TV as the hub. Plug the cableTV and Bluray HDMIs into the TV. Then use the optical output of the TV (I'm assuming it has one) and run a Toslink optical cable from it to the RX477 optical input. In most TVs, the optical will pass the 2.0 and Dolby Digital audio signals, in addition to passing DTS and other digital signals. You may have to 'enable' the digital audio output signal setting in the TV's menu. Then no matter what 'input' you have the TV selected to (cable, Bluray, or any of the Apps), the TV will pass the digital audio signal (via optical) to the receiver. Select the TV optical input on the receiver, and you should be good to go.

2. Continue to use the reciever as the hub as you have now, but add an optical cable from the TV to the receiver as described above. When watching cableTV or Bluray and having the receiver selected to that input, it will work the same as it does now. When watching Apps, you'll have to switch then input of the receiver to the TV optical input, in addition to switching the TV to the apps input.

The advantage of #1 is that you just need to turn on the receiver and always keep it on the same input (TV optical) no matter what you watch on TV. You would use the TV remote to switch between inputs.

If you use the reciever as the hub (#2), you would switch inputs on the receiver (cable, bluray, TV/apps) and also the TV (HDMI from reciever, and apps). A few more button pushes on remotes....

I don't think the issue is needing to completely rewire the whole system.

Your post does bring about another question though..

Last edited:
Yes, I'm using the receiver as a hub for everything else. Everything I hooked up is coming thru the external speakers EXCEPT when I go to the preloaded apps on the TV. It provides video but no audio.

Is HDMI cable the only connection from the TV to the receiver?

If so, I think what yzzja touched on is the right track. Ensure you have the receiver connected to the HDMI port on the TV that is for ARC. Often, there is only one of the inputs that has ARC capability so that's the one you must connect to.

Then, go into the receiver settings and make sure ARC is turned on/set up for the HDMI output you've got connected to the TV.

Last edited:
Is HDMI cable the only connection from the TV to the receiver?

If so, I think what yzzja touched on is the right track. Ensure you have the receiver connected to the HDMI port on the TV that is for ARC. Often, there is only one of the inputs that has ARC capability so that's the one you must connect to.

Then, go into the receiver settings and make sure ARC is turned on/set up for the HDMI output you've got connected to the TV.

If you do this, also check if your receiver is receiving all types of digital signals from the TV thru ARC. A Bluray disc that has a DTS track should suffice for this.

What streaming sources are sending DTS?

Asking because I've only seen DD and variants thereof.

What streaming sources are sending DTS?

Asking because I've only seen DD and variants thereof.

Not necessarily streaming.

Bluray. Reading up on ARC, most implimentations send DD, but not necessarily DTS. The DTS coming from Bluray may not be sent via ARC.

So - if his Magnavox TV either 1) doesn't have ARC, or 2) it's ARC implementation doesn't send DTS (as many of them don't), then it's no big deal if he doesn't care about DTS. But if he does, then optical may be the way to go.

If may work with his reciever as the hub, and if ARC is enabled, it may send an acceptable signal back to the Yamaha. Just have to try.

You were right on with the solution. I went and purchased a digital audio cable and everything is working GREAT !!

Thanks for your help.

You were right on with the solution. I went and purchased a digital audio cable and everything is working GREAT !!

Thanks for your help.

Excellent! You are most welcome.

I've done my good deed for the day, and can now spend some time listening to some great music.

ARC is your friend. The HDMI cable can do it all, likely no need for the toslink cable. You nust have to set it up.

Not necessarily streaming.

Bluray. Reading up on ARC, most implimentations send DD, but not necessarily DTS. The DTS coming from Bluray may not be sent via ARC.

So - if his Magnavox TV either 1) doesn't have ARC, or 2) it's ARC implementation doesn't send DTS (as many of them don't), then it's no big deal if he doesn't care about DTS. But if he does, then optical may be the way to go.

If may work with his reciever as the hub, and if ARC is enabled, it may send an acceptable signal back to the Yamaha. Just have to try.

The sources were connected direct to the receiver so there is no need for ARC to pass DTS.

But, since you brought that up, I'm going to check if my system will pass DTS over ARC, since I have mine set up just like the OP - sources to processor, TV to processor by HDMI w/ARC.

I don't need ARC to pass DTS because the sources are direct, but now it's a curiosity. Probably moreso a function of the TV capability...but maybe not.

Last edited:
The sources were connected direct to the receiver so there is no need for ARC to pass DTS.

But, since you brought that up, I'm going to check if my system will pass DTS over ARC, since I have mine set up just like the OP - sources to processor, TV to processor by HDMI w/ARC.

Good point.

But if uses the TV as the hub, then there might be the need.

If he continued to use the receiver as the hub, it just means a couple of extra button pushes on remotes.

I'd be interested to see if your system will pass DTS over ARC. Let us know what you find out. Like I said, from what I've been reading, most (don't know the percentage) don't. Maybe most newer ones are starting to?

Also - we don't even know if his TV is ARC capable - OP never said.

I have a Yamaha RX-A1040 and RX-A830 that I have yet to test for DTS over ARC. When I get a chance, I'll test out also.

I have multiple systems using multiple brands in multiple rooms - some use the TV as the hub, some use the receiver like the OP.

The main system in the family room I have using the TV as the hub. That way the wife only has to turn on the receiver and make sure the "Wife" input is selected (the optical TV input). Simpler for her, since she's technology challenged. Less remotes/buttons to have to deal with. Only the TV remote to deal with...

I would have bet good money my setup was at least passing through DD on ARC, but it seems not to be. Getting only PCM from pass through on items I've tried connecting direct to the TV like the STB and a BD player. Tried DTS from the BD player and that came though only as PCM too.

Gonna have to play with that more to see if it's a setting somewhere or that PCM is best it'll do on passthough. Seems odd for a fairly high end TV (Panasonic 60ZT60). Not that it's a big setback because my sources normally go though the processor where it's all handled properly, but still I'll be a bit taken back if that's the case (only PCM on pass though via ARC).

Notice a few changes in A/V tech over the last 24 years?

Another nice feature is that you can load up hundreds of CDs worth of music as MP3 (or FLAC and other formats) onto a USB thumb drive and plug it directly into the receiver - no CD (or DVD or bluray) player required. The interface is a little clunky but functional.

Have fun with your new toy. Lots of new features to explore.

I would have bet good money my setup was at least passing through DD on ARC, but it seems not to be. Getting only PCM from pass through on items I've tried connecting direct to the TV like the STB and a BD player. Tried DTS from the BD player and that came though only as PCM too.

Gonna have to play with that more to see if it's a setting somewhere or that PCM is best it'll do on passthough. Seems odd for a fairly high end TV (Panasonic 60ZT60). Not that it's a big setback because my sources normally go though the processor where it's all handled properly, but still I'll be a bit taken back if that's the case (only PCM on pass though via ARC).

Interesting.

Of all my setups, I don't have one that has both the TV and receiver that are ARC compatible, so I can't check that also. I have the RX-A1040 connected to two non-ARC HD TVs, the RX-A830 connected to one non-ARC HD TV, and also just got a Vizio P702Ui-B3 that is ARC but connected to an older Sony non-ARC receiver, along with 2 more setups that both HDTV and rec'r are non-ARC. So I can't check it like you did without un-wiring and moving things around. The Vizio P702 setup is the first one that I've done with the TV as a hub, since that's the one the wife watches the most (less buttons for her to press).

My belief is that ARC was developed for the 'average user', and developed so that manufacturers could produce it minimizing cost. It's probably cheaper to only have to pass thru PCM. The 'average user' may not be able to tell the difference in sound. And ARC is also handy for sound bars. I don't have any sound bars, but I'll make an assumption that there would not be much difference between PCM, DD, DTS when using sound bars. Correct me if I'm wrong. It was, of course, also developed so that the average user could simplify wiring (1 wire).

Have you tried a Toslink optical cable from the Panasonic to your receiver? I believe (don't know for sure) that most TVs (or at least newer TVs) pass thru DD, DTS, etc thru the optical.

This certainly makes a case for using the receiver as a hub, if a person can tell the difference (and cares) about DD, DTS, etc. In that case, I guess you could still use ARC? or optical for streaming apps.

It's not convenient to connect the processor to the TV optical to check that because they're on the opposite ends of the room (HDMI cable is 35ft).

I still have my old processor though, I suppose I could blow the dust off it then connect to see what format is coming out.

As to the TV, yes, DD via ARC works properly from the internal smart TV apps like Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Back
Top Bottom