Brought home a pair of QLS 1's today.

Ok, they are setup and in place. Need more organiztion but everything seems to be playing properly. First impression is these are going to be very good. Only using 1 Crown amp for now, but it's sounds rock solid. Gonna make a cup o joe and have a good listen. Then need to start straightening up the LR before my better half gets home. :)

Attachments

• 1431095253722-2044855942.jpg
    1431095253722-2044855942.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 108
Here are few pics of the repaired mids. Tubed was able to resoldER a couple of them without disassembling. I was unable to do that. Once I received them back I coated the bare wire with some Aileens glue. You can see the more opaque coating. The other two pics are of the one where I disassembled and pulled new wire from the VC. The wires are so small you can hardly see in the images. I will go back and coat them and add some glue in the channel as well, but they look better to me bare and with black tape over the channel. The wires seem to disappear, but I assume the glue gives them some more support and protection.

Dang, they sound good. And those Watkins are the real deal!

Attachments

• 20150508_110950.jpg
    20150508_110950.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20150508_110847.jpg
    20150508_110847.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20150508_110938.jpg
    20150508_110938.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20150508_110821.jpg
    20150508_110821.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Looking fabulous rpampt! Nice work. They look so good with the grills off, even with the black baffles. I can't stand to cover mine up.

Here are few pics of the repaired tweets. Tubed was able to resoldER a couple of them without disassembling. I was unable to do that. Once I received them back I coated the bare wire with some Aileens glue. You can see the more opaque coating. The other two pics are of the one where I disassembled and pulled new wire from the VC. The wires are so small you can hardly see in the images. I will go back and coat them and add some glue in the channel as well, but they look better to me bare and with black tape over the channel. The wires seem to disappear, but I assume the glue gives them some more support and protection.

:thmbsp:

Just in case you want to "refresh" your domes, I though you could find interesting my thread about re-coating a pair of Audax dome tweeters. Measurements show they perform far better after the "restoring".
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=559836

yeah saw that, never seen a subwoofer next to a pair of Quantums

Haha! You are right. No sub needed. That is actually a JBL passive bass speaker that goes with a small pair of matching JBL speakers. They are sitting just below and in front of the TV screen. They are used for the daily tv usage so I don't have the off and on and off and on of my primary system.

Here are few pics of the repaired tweets. Tubed was able to resoldER a couple of them without disassembling. I was unable to do that. Once I received them back I coated the bare wire with some Aileens glue. You can see the more opaque coating. The other two pics are of the one where I disassembled and pulled new wire from the VC. The wires are so small you can hardly see in the images. I will go back and coat them and add some glue in the channel as well, but they look better to me bare and with black tape over the channel. The wires seem to disappear, but I assume the glue gives them some more support and protection.

Real glad you are enjoying them.
I bet they sound very nice out in the open as depicted in your May photo.

Well it looks like I determined what my next project is. :) Cabs good, majority of drivers working. Controls need some work. Even with a few mids not working, I can hear the potential for some Infinity magic.

Great.

Now that you have had them working for awhile, what are your thoughts now?

Infinities have a way of introducing lots of subtleties and sometimes you don't catch small things. Or dig out recordings that you haven't played in a while & hear differences.

Great.

Now that you have had them working for awhile, what are your thoughts now?

Infinities have a way of introducing lots of subtleties and sometimes you don't catch small things. Or dig out recordings that you haven't played in a while & hear differences.
Since the picture in may, they have been moved twice already. They were just too close together there. My room is a difficult one to place speakers in with any kind of symmetry. Lots of glass on one wall, opposite side is open to other rooms. One end has open stairwell, other end has woodstove and hearth. I think they are going to remain in the present spots for awhile. I now get to play with tow in, make some slight moves, move the listening couch, etc. I just moved them last week so it's still a work in progress. I like what I hear. Bass is best I've had. The Soundstage may be a little open in the middle and imaging is not as good as I like, but hopefully minor adjustments will improve that. The room is also 2 stories tall and with no sound treatments. It's my living room so panels are doubtful. I originally had plans for quad amping them, but am reconsidering that. I am presently biamping with a tube preamp and a pair of Crown power amps, so over 1000wpc is still adequate. They are the best I have had, but I know with some tweaking, they will be even better. I have not adjusted any controls from their middle positions, so that's more to play with.

Once they are dialed in, I can start getting reacquainted with my entire music collection, but for now they will getting a regular dose of tweaking and tuning music. :)

BTW, they are heavier and taller than my wife, so I'm lucky to even bring them into her LR. Ya gotta love an understanding wife!!!

The Soundstage may be a little open in the middle and imaging is not as good as I like, but hopefully minor adjustments will improve that. I have not adjusted any controls from their middle positions, so that's more to play with.

The "hole in the middle" was my biggest problem too. I found a few things which really helped in my room (YMMV!)

First, I ended up with them about 8' apart (on center) and the listening spot about 11' away, much closer together than I started in a 19' wide room.

Toe in was another key, I get the most centered image with the speakers pointing right at me, I've never had speakers that sounded best like this!

Finally, the crossover controls were critical to getting a tight image. After many months of adjustment and listening, I found that the mid bass coupler has a huge effect on the center image. I ended up with it turned way down, about 9 o'clock.

It takes time and patience, and recording quality plays a big part. Keep experimenting, the pay off is totally worth it!

Back
Top Bottom