polydome mold

mulin

please help to select right material for polydomes.i spent lot of time to find right plastic or rubber for mold i made with cnc but i never i find right stuf.so,help!

Attachments

• mold.jpg
    mold.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 100
I can't help. But good luck.
Build a better polydome and the world will beat a path to your door.
Or something like that.

i search everywhere but no lucky.i try with eva foil but is to soft.i found polyurethane natural film but in china.minimum order is to big.

Do you know the thickness of the plastic used in the dome? I'm assuming this would be a thermoformed process by the look of the die. Propionate might be usable if you can't locate any polypropylene sheet.

Do you know the thickness of the plastic used in the dome? I'm assuming this would be a thermoformed process by the look of the die. Propionate might be usable if you can't locate any polypropylene sheet.

tickness is 0.3mm.Polypropylene is rigid.I do not know any polypropylene that is soft with tickness of 0.3mm.i m looking all the time on web to find something like that but no success.and yes thermoforming proces.if you have any link of similar plastic let me know.you probably have a better choice of plastic in canada or america

mulin,

Have you actually tried to converse with any plastics manufacturers? They can tell you what is available and maybe even redirect you to companies that can or do manufacture the plastics that are suitable for this application. If the original material was soft polypropylene at .3mm thickness then this is probably the best material from an analogous sound reproduction standpoint without reengineering.

If you are serious about this endeavor, then if I were you I would contact plastics manufacturers, discuss the application and your knowledge of original materials used and find the best, if not the "original", material. Plastics manufacturers will provide samples, perhaps even free, directly to you to physically compare.

If you do find the best material and start reproduction and have a reasonable product you will have buyers.

Good luck,

Mark K.

http://www.eplastics.com/Polypropylene_Sheet

To thermoform, the mold is usually cooled, the sheet is exposed to heating elements to soften it and then the mold is closed around it. Often a vacuum is used to pull deep forms to shape. You might be able to create a "compression" type mold with that, if you are able to get the PP sheet heated uniformly enough to form over the die.

The other option would be an injection mold, but then you would have to modify your base to add a gate / runner and material entry point...etc...

Back
Top Bottom