Finally started on my Quantum 2s.......

Salmon is a cool, different kind of town. I used to have to drive up there from Boise to work on people's homes. It's a different kind of life in a town like that. I could get very comfortable living there.

Larry D.

After a bit of listening........

Did some listening to the Q2s and the RS 2.5s over the weekend and concluded that I like the 2.5s better at this point. The 2.5s do have the EMIMs and a few upgrades which gives them the advantage, but the Q2s have their own smooth sound that I also like a lot.

I could hear both of the 2.5s putting out music from wherever I was sitting in the living room, but with the Q2s you had to be in the sweet spot or close to it to hear both speakers output, otherwise it sounded as if the speaker closest to you was the only one playing. Guess the Q2s are a bit beamy / directional. After I get the Q2s upgraded a bit (in the next month or two) I will take another listen and let you know what I'm hearing. They are one nice speaker, well worth investing some upgrades into them.

Larry D.

I could hear both of the 2.5s putting out music from wherever I was sitting in the living room, but with the Q2s you had to be in the sweet spot or close to it to hear both speakers output, otherwise it sounded as if the speaker closest to you was the only one playing. Guess the Q2s are a bit beamy / directional.
Larry D.

Same with my QLS-1, they sound like headphones in that sweet spot, but stand up and the whole illusion is lost. I think that it is those "mid bass couplers", they just don't have the dispersion of the mid domes. I suppose that's why they came up with the EMIMs.

After hearing the Q2s I'd love to hear a pair of QLS-1s. Yes, when I stand up the Q2's volume noticeably decreases. Nothing drastic, but it is readily apparent. I must clarify that I almost always have my speakers facing directly out from the wall which is usually 2 to 3 feet behind them. I rarely toe-in any of my speakers.

As soon as I get a foot or two on the right side of the right speaker (or the left side of the left speaker) I cannot hear any output from the speaker farthest away, it sounds as if all the music only comes from the speaker I'm closest to. With the 2.5s I can hear both speaker's output clearly when I'm far to the left or right. Kinda weird and wish I could fix it with the Q2s.

Larry D.

I must clarify that I almost always have my speakers facing directly out from the wall which is usually 2 to 3 feet behind them. I rarely toe-in any of my speakers.

As soon as I get a foot or two on the right side of the right speaker (or the left side of the left speaker) I cannot hear any output from the speaker farthest away, it sounds as if all the music only comes from the speaker I'm closest to. With the 2.5s I can hear both speaker's output clearly when I'm far to the left or right. Kinda weird and wish I could fix it with the Q2s.

Larry D.
I have done a large amount of experimenting and found that my QLS sound best pointing right at me. Most other speakers I've had sounded best flat with the back wall or slightly toed in but not these QLS. You might try them a little closer together, that also helped mine.

I usually have mine almost 8 feet apart (it's what the odd shaped room allows for placement). I tried toeing the Q2s in to point directly at me, but instead of throwing a large soundstage they seemed a little too 'in-your-face' for me. Maybe putting them a bit closer together would work better. I will try that the next time I hook them up and experiment around with various combinations of placement to hear what sounds best.

I doubt that not being mirror imaged would cause what I'm not hearing (that sounds confusing). I would imagine that it would have to be drivers themselves, not their placement on the cabinet that would not allow them to be heard as clearly as the EMIMs can be heard from any listening spot in the room. You'd think that a domed midrange would disperse even better than an EMIM. Chef free might be onto something with that mid-bass coupler having a part in the equation.

Larry D.

speaker placement, room type, or there may be demons about...

its insane...you can can almost say that there are no perfect speakers, just perfect for your space...

speaking of insane I find myself looking for a package from Millersound every 5 seconds or so...I work at home so I'm constantly walking around the front of house, nope not here yet...i see a post office truck come down the street and i stare at them (freaking the poor guy out) hoping they will pull up and drop off my Watkins so I can finally spark these up...

I've gone off the deep end...

I could see non mirrored speakers giving this effect on one side but not on both. My QLS have a great, even sound when moving left to right, the only complaint I have is when I stand up and lose the sound from the mid bass. Room treatments really improved the sound, but I installed them before I had the QLS-1.

I could see non mirrored speakers giving this effect on one side but not on both. My QLS have a great, even sound when moving left to right, the only complaint I have is when I stand up and lose the sound from the mid bass. Room treatments really improved the sound, but I installed them before I had the QLS-1.

If the mid bass is a problem for some, I'd suggest adding another, in the same fashion, further up the cabinet.
Those Philips drivers are available in 4 and 8 ohms to facilitate the correct resistance:yes:

Back
Top Bottom