speaker addiction- Apogee Centaur's - and echowars work

donberry

Was selling a pair of Dahlquist DQ-12's just trying to thin the herd. Was meeting a guy in Murfreesboro at 5:00 pm to make the deal. That morning I'm perusing craigslist just passing time and lo and behold, a pair of apogee centaur's for $400.00 or obo
One ribbon was still working, but it had sat next to a heat register and was all bent up, so I emailed the guy and asked if he would take $300, I was selling the DQ-12's for $275, so basically an even up trade and he agreed.
Drove up and sold the DQ-12's then headed over to get the Apogee's thinking they would end up sitting for quite a while until I got the $400 or so to replace the ribbon.

Real nice guy and he had them hooked up to a Kenwood KR-9400, a beast of an amp. For whatever reason, speakers didn't really sound that great but I never really pay much attention anyway as they always sound different when I get them home.
Started talking about the Kenwood and he was telling me how he had it totally restored, turned out to be by echowars himself. Showed me the letter Glen gave him when he picked it up and of course it could not possibly have been gone through more thoroughly.

So not only a great looking receiver, basically also better than new.

The Apogee's. Not sure what I have to be honest. They are the Minors (and included the stands) but he said they had 10' woofers in them. Don't know if they were replaced or ????. If they were replaced, sounds pretty awesome to me.
Got them home and of course immediately hooked them up. Figured there would be a huge difference between the good ribbon speaker and the bent ribbon speaker.
Used a Carver M500t with my Conrad Johnson PV2ar preamp and a P.S. Audio Digital Link III dac. Put on some high res recordings not really expecting that great as I sort of just plopped the speakers down.

I may have a new favorite speaker.
Was shocked the bent ribbon one still sounded so good. I'm obviously still going to get it replaced, but not in as much of a hurry now.
Would have to do a side by side to be sure, but maybe not quite as "airy" in the mids and highs as my MartinLogan SL3, but surprisingly, to me anyway, they seem to have a much bigger sweet spot, or at least I could be sitting way off center and while not "magic", I could still hear the other speaker just fine and was still excellent. You can just insert any word used to describe speakers here and they had it - transparency, detail, micro detail layering , texture, etc etc, For my tastes, and my tastes only as everyone likes something different, truly a speaker I can own and not long for anything else.
Not to mention, personally I find them a gorgeous looking speaker

I liked the DQ-12's, but , and I am only speaking for myself and for my tastes, for me those DQ-12's weren't even in the same league as the Apogee, so turned out to be one heck of a trade for me.

and that's with a "bad ribbon !
Can't wait to upgrade the caps as I have read that makes a huge difference.

Don't know if it's true, but read they are actually a fairly efficient speaker and read a few times how you haven't really heard them at their best until you drive them with some valves.

So happens I have a Mingda MC34AB (75wpc/40wpc) that if true, should drive them nicely. I was actually going to sell the amp as all of my speakers are very inefficient and I didn't want to buy speakers just for it, but now there may be one disappointed guy who was showing interest as I'm holding on to it until I put it on the apogees.

Only had them for a day, but for now they get a 3 thumbs up and a must hear speaker in my opinion.
These aren't the minors, but is what mine look like.
Apogee_Centaur28front29.JPG

Congratulations. I'd love to hear a pair some day. I too think they are a nice looking speaker.

cubdog

I'm confused. The Minors have a 6.5" woofer and are just under 40" tall. The Majors have a 10" woofer and measure just over 64" in height. Which do you have? Either way, I'm envious; I sold them when they were new and spent many an hour quality listening time with each - great find.

musical - I'm as confused as you are. They are no doubt the Minors as they have the stands. At the seller's house, he pointed out they had a 10" woofer which gave them more bass extension.
They do have great bass.
Looked them up and I sure don't see anything about a Minor with a 10" woofer.
I have not taken off the front to see what is actually in them. Seller seemed to know his way around gear, or at least the right people to take it too, what to look for etc....so, I am as confused as you are.
Being Thanksgiving, besides having them playing all day, have not messed with them.

I plan on doing a whole lot of research about them shortly so hopefully I will know exactly what is in it soon as they are on my short list of "must upgrade capacitors". I should probably get the ribbon replaced first but they sound so good as is.........have to do my research before doing anything

How tall are they, not including the bases?

We bought a pair of Majors as our second pair of decent speakers. The wife really loved them. I think she actually liked them more than I did.

didn't actually measure them, guessing around 39-40 inches. The Major's are around 64" I believe.
On a side note. I just noticed the original price for these was only $1199. Just speaking for me, but I think they had to have been one of the best bargains around at that price. Unbelievable sound for a $1200 speaker. Going to have to drag out the SL3's to compare them when the wife isn't around

I know they aren't the Majors as they don't require stands.

I was wondering if they were possibly the standard Centaurs.

I'm not familiar with those, but I like em! Beautiful looking speaker, and I agree, you got a score!

Post some pics and of the drivers. I'm curious about these.

Glenn

I have Minors which needed a ribbon repair. Learned a couple of hard lessons with the repair, but can share my experience if you need to fix a broken trace on the ribbon. They are most prone to crack at the edge of the circuit board at each end. They work just fine after the repair.
John

Welcome to the world of ribbons :thmbsp:

Do you have a closeup of the damaged ribbon? they really don't have to be perfect you know.

pics - been busy with thanksgiving, will try and get some tomorrow.
I've been researching how to get the front cover off. I get conflicting info - many say they pry off, others say they don't come off....

Well if you do disassemble them, be sure to have a new ribbon handy, and that you feel confident that you can mount it.
If they are not designed to be disassembled, there is a good chance that the ribbon will be ruined as soon as you pry them apart.

Congrats on these. I had a pair years ago. The sound is so sweet. They love power. I ended up with 150 watts per side which might have been overkill but boy did it open them up.

Back
Top Bottom