Electrocompaniet aw-100

hpm-1000

hi,

I have a electrocompaniet aw-100 (two times 100w) driving my hpm-1100s, but i wonder how this would sound with something a bit more powerful so i have the chance to get another ec aw-100!

The problem is that this are not bridgeable! So i wonder if there is a point on having each one driving only one speaker?? it should be easier for the amp, no?

Or is there any other way of bridge them??

thank you!

If the amps have a common ground output and work well into lower impedances, I'd say they are bridgeable.

These are the Matti Otalla, low TIM amps. I've only worked on two. It was a long time ago, but I believe they were common output grounded. To check, make a continuity check between Right '-' speaker output and Left '-' speaker output, with the amp off. If there's continuity there, they should be bridgeable.

If your speaker are 4 ohms, or higher (preferably higher), they should be fine on that amp bridged.

You'll need to buy some bridging adapter.

So, it looks possible, but it's only going to buy you 3dB of output power (6db output voltage). If volume is what you need, it might be a good time to consider more sensitive speakers.

... although HPM-100's were fairly sensitive, I thought.

thanks, i am not sure i understand how to do that continuity test?

Its not volume in itself , i am looking for a bigger soundstage, perhaps more dynamics , more power, i am not sure, just wonder how this speakers would sound with more power.

my speakers are 6.3 ohm

I think your AW100 is dual mono designed amp with a separate transformer and power supply for each channel so there is no advantage to use one amp per channel ... Unless you rewire your HPM1100 speakers with bi-wire connections with the woofer connected to one set of speaker binding posts and the mid/highs on the other set of binding posts. This way you can vertical bi-amp your speakers w/ one amp per speaker using one channel for the mid/highs and the other for the lows. This would be a big step up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom