JBL, Yamaha, Cambridge rig

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
I have been in the process lately of "blowing up" my old system(s) and buying new gear. I think I'm pretty much there. I did get the Yamaha and Cambridge in silver to keep some of that retro look.

Speakers: JBL Studio 590 2.5 way towers
Amp: Yamaha A-S801 (part two)
CD: Cambridge CXC transport, Sony 400 disc changer for storage
Table: Pro-Ject Debut III
Device: Apple iPod 4 touch with HRT iStreamer
Cables: Audioquest and Straightwire

I am in the process of breaking everything in and positioning the speakers. This is my second go round with the Yamaha. I sent the first one back due to system integration at the time. That and I had an A-S501 that sounded close. When I decided to change everything, the A-S801 was an obvious choice with the EES DAC and USB input. I will progress further into the 21st century and do that computer streaming stuff eventually.

The Cambridge transport is special. Even the packaging is quality. Excellent padding and nice cloth bags for the unit and remote/manual. The manual, if you can call it that, leaves a little to be desired but it is a very simple hook-up and operation. It really fleshes out the details of quality CD's.

The JBL 590's are great top to bottom. I am very happy with their accuracy, soundstage and detail. Some have said the highs are rolled off but I have not experienced that. The Yamaha seems to drive them very well.

I will post more after I have had time to do a lot more listening.

It's very nice have remote control again!:thmbsp: I'm getting lazy as I get older.

Here's some pics. Naturally, the speakers are close to the rack for photo purposes.

Attachments

• New rig, 3.jpg
    New rig, 3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 141
  • New rig, 4.jpg
    New rig, 4.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 107
  • New rig, 1.jpg
    New rig, 1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 113
Nice system. I seem to remember you had the big HK integrated at one time. Is that right or am I thinking of someone else?

Thanks, I did have the HK and others. I just feel the Yamaha has a better sound, better features and more versatile. In fact, I have three of the newer Yamaha integrated amps and really like them all. The 501 is in the den, 701 in the living room and the 801 in The Man Room. The 801 is the better choice overall with the quality DAC and ability to use your computer. Sound wise they are all very close as you would expect.

The Studio 5 series should get more respect. Great design and great speakers. My Studio 530's driven by my Krell S-300i sound pretty good.

The Studio 5 series should get more respect. Great design and great speakers. My Studio 530's driven by my Krell S-300i sound pretty good.

I agree, it's hard to find dealers that sell them unless you are in a large urban area. I heard a pair quite by accident. I went to the house of a friend of a friend on other business. He had a pair and was gracious enough to let me listen to them. I was thoroughly impressed so I bought a pair. They were designed by Greg Timbers who is a living legend in the audio world. I am very happy with their sound.

A-S500 and 501 here; great sounding amps. Looks like you've built a nice system.:thmbsp:

Thank you, I am very happy with it. I did just ad a BIC Acoustech PL-200 sub to the mix. I got it from a friend of mine who just bought a big SVS sub. He's big into HT. I'm not a huge fan of subs in a two channel music system, especially when the speakers are pretty much full range. I haven't had much success integrated it in my system yet, still working on it. This sub is probably not the best choice for music but the price was right. I am using the sub out from the A-S801 currently which, according to the manual, has a fixed cutoff at 100hz. I will try running speaker wire off the B side to it at some point. Any suggestions on sub integration would be appreciated.:yes:

When I got my NS-670's, the seller recommended using a sub. I've been very happy with them as is, but I am curious as to what a sub would bring.:scratch2:

When I got my NS-670's, the seller recommended using a sub. I've been very happy with them as is, but I am curious as to what a sub would bring.:scratch2:

I have tried subs before in different systems but was never happy with the integration. I have rearranged my room recently putting my system on the long wall. I put the sub in various places and it seems to work best on the rt. side of the equipment rack, between the rack and the rt. speaker, approx. 2' from the back wall. It got very boomy in the corners and the sound was kind of sucked out on the left side of the rack? I have been playing a bit with the crossover point and between 60 and 70 hz is about right with most recordings. I do have the volume pretty low. The sub works best when I use the Pure Direct and CD Direct settings on the amp which bypasses all tone controls. I was boosting the bass a bit and adjusting the loudness to enhance the bass before at the expense of more detailed highs and mid-range. Thus far, I'm a fan of the BIC sub.

I have tried subs before in different systems but was never happy with the integration. I have rearranged my room recently putting my system on the long wall. I put the sub in various places and it seems to work best on the rt. side of the equipment rack, between the rack and the rt. speaker, approx. 2' from the back wall. It got very boomy in the corners and the sound was kind of sucked out on the left side of the rack? I have been playing a bit with the crossover point and between 60 and 70 hz is about right with most recordings. I do have the volume pretty low. The sub works best when I use the Pure Direct and CD Direct settings on the amp which bypasses all tone controls. I was boosting the bass a bit and adjusting the loudness to enhance the bass before at the expense of more detailed highs and mid-range. Thus far, I'm a fan of the BIC sub.
Try the sub the other way around, lower cutoff with higher volume. Interested to know your results.

A-S500 and 501 here; great sounding amps. Looks like you've built a nice system.:thmbsp:

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try. I was also told by an old HT installer to initially but the sub in the listening spot. Walk around the room and you will be able to tell where the dead spots and less desirable areas are.

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try. I was also told by an old HT installer to initially but the sub in the listening spot. Walk around the room and you will be able to tell where the dead spots and less desirable areas are.

Ahh, The old sub crawl. It does work. Put the sub in the LP and crawl around the room and wherever the bass sounds best is a good place to put the sub.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...HQZiYtWtOxAedJJZVfDbdA&bvm=bv.101800829,d.dmo

Jenkster, I was wondering about the JBL 590's that you have. How would you describe the sound? typical JBL in your face? Boomy bass and lots of it? Do you feel like you need a sub or will it go as low as you want? How about the horn? can you tell they are horns, or are they more laid back?
I;m thinking of cornwalls for myself but these have peaked my interest.
Thanks,
Dan

I use the 590's strictly for two channel music. They do not have as big or as open a sound as Cornwall's, I have owned a few. What they do have is accurate reproduction of the music with great separation and pin point dynamics. I have read complaints about the laid back high end of the 590's. I can see if you have a system that rolls off the highs, this may be an issue. I am using them with a new Yamaha integrated amp with a pure/CD direct feature. It in essence bypasses all tone and balance controls. With the amp at that setting, the highs are full and open without being bright. I'm lucky to hear a 12K hz signal on a good day so that into consideration.

The bass is also very accurate but may get boomy in the wrong room. You need some space behind and on the sides for them to be tight. I have a sub and use it sparingly. It does fill in the bottom octaves when I feel the need. For most of what I listen to, I leave it off.

The 590's, when compared to the Cornwalls, have less of a "horn" sound. The horn integrates very well with the woofers.

If you like big open sound with a bit of brightness, the Cornwalls may be for you. If you like accurate detailed sound with a bit of warmth in the high end, the 590's are great.

This is just my opinion based upon my experience with both speakers. If I was running a tube rig, I would opt for Cornwall's. They are hard to beat with a good tube amp IMHO.

Thank you Jenkster. I appreciate your time and comments. As much as I want to steer towards the 590's, I think I will pursue the Cornwalls as I like that raw feeling of power and the horns.

Dan

Thank you Jenkster. I appreciate your time and comments. As much as I want to steer towards the 590's, I think I will pursue the Cornwalls as I like that raw feeling of power and the horns.

Dan

I don't blame you Dan, you really can't go wrong with Cornwalls. The 590's are in kind of an acquired taste, especially looks wise. Oddly enough, my wife prefers them over the Cornwalls? :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom