Benchmark Audio discusses DSD

Thanks for this Rich. I read the AES papers, so I knew from solid engineering and DBT that it wasn't the format, but the recording/mastering that made it so attractive, but this is the first article I read that said DSD was detrimental to the sound. Interesting!!

Ray

Thanks for that link. It was a very interesting read. It was especially pertinent to me because I'm trying to decide if a should purchase a DAC that's DSD compatible.

Thanks for that link. It was a very interesting read. It was especially pertinent to me because I'm trying to decide if a should purchase a DAC that's DSD compatible.

That authors paper has been around for awhile and the author has an agenda.

Please listen for yourself with a proper set up DSD system before deciding, you might regret it later if you do not.

That authors paper has been around for awhile and the author has an agenda.

Please listen for yourself with a proper set up DSD system before deciding, you might regret it later if you do not.

No worry, I have an SACD player and acknowledge the increased sound quality with SACD's. I try to cover all the bases before buying.

Very good read, Rich. I have yet to try DSD, but I haven't felt the need to upgrade as of yet. Much of what I listen to isn't available in the format.

All manufacturers of DAC chips hit hard the 1-bit delta-sigma issues and moved away from them. DSD is just the storage implementation of that early delta-sigma conversion.
Presently any medium to high performance DAC contains in the conversion stage a hybrid of multibit PCM (usually for 4-6 of higher bits) and rest is delta-sigma.
Also, strictly for storage purposes, makes no sense to store digitally the noise shaping associated with DSD.

PS: The manufacturers left the true multibit PCM path mainly to cut costs.

"Benchmark recognizes that there are many fine high-resolution recordings that are only available in DSD format."

I wonder what recordings these are, and why they only exist n DSD? One also has to wonder if recording in DSD is as difficult as claimed in the article: which of the four DSD production methods were used to create the recordings?

I must say that this article has done significant damage to any plans I may have had to have DSD as a "must have" in a planned future DAC upgrade. Thanks a lot Rich! ;-)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom