infinity RS 1B woofer towers only....help!

thebigcahuna

Hey guys, even though I've been reading AK for years, I just registered in an official capacity so I'm brand new to actually posting!

Okay so here's the deal...via craigslist I scored a paid of infinity RS 1B woofer towers for $100 last week, I know exactly what these are but without the servo crossover and tweeter towers I'm kinda at a loss to do with them.

Luckily, they haven't been re-foamed or messed with in any way. Great shape and 100% working. Do I get a pair of Altec Lansing tweeters to replace the tweeter towers, or should i try and sell them to somebody who already has a fully functioning set of RS 1B's who wants a second woofer tower. (I know that's a thing)

Help please!

~A

welcome to AK, and the infinity forum. glad someone finally bought those. we'd been watching them languish on craig's list for over a week. $100 was a score, but i don't think you will find any stand-alone tweeter that will be a suitable stand-in for the factory high/mid frequency towers. as mentioned, the RS 1b came with a stand alone crossover unit that had a servo control to drive the bass towers. the crossover unit is critical to proper operation. without it the woofers won't be driven properly. the amp used to drive them is also critical. those bass towers really need to be re-united with some RS 1b's.

more info here:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/485infinity/#YhjLHi1J9Pv7Jvdb.97

odd to find just the bass towers. did the seller know what happened to the rest of the speakers?

Last edited:
Curious to know where you're located as there were a pair on Tucson CL a couple of years ago. Guy wanted $300 at the time.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

yeah i was kinda thinking that they need to be used as a secondary set of woofer towers for an already existing full set of RS 1B's.

now i just need to find somebody who has a set...what do you guys think a second set would be worth to somebody who already has the full enchilada

i also saw a guy on eBay who was selling the original servo crossovers, would a pair of altec horns sound good with the woofer towers if i picked that up to drive the whole thing?

i don't think altec horns are going to be a good match.

on the other hand, some minimus 7's …

kidding. really.

if you got the external crossover, you might as well track down a correct pair of rs 1b high/mid towers. or at least pair the bass units with another match from within the infinity family that use the separate crossover and separate bass and mid/high towers. betas, gammas, irs v, etc. i wouldn't think high-end infinitys without emit tweeters would be worth the effort or expense.

you might want to check this current thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=675169

Here's what you can do....

1. Part out the woofers on ebay and make a profit. But, of course, it takes work to sell something properly on ebay. You'll want to include photos and info of the actual electrical measurements of the woofers (and some of the mechanical measurements are nice to do also) so people know what they're buying. If these numbers aren't included, you can count on the value of each woofer being much lower.

2. Sell the woofer towers as you bought them.

3. Take a few years and learn about speaker building. Then make line array midrange/tweeter towers to match the bass towers, as a fully active system. I'd recommend forgetting about the original crossover and the original configuration of the system (unless you are fortunate enough to score some mid/high original panels, the likelihood of which is about a billion to one). If you want to have a talk about this option, send me a message.

4. Contact Michael Marks, and he can probably provide you (at a cost) a pair of mid/high RS-1b open baffle panels to go with your bass towers. He will also have recommendations of crossovers and system configurations. He might, just might, have a set of original mid/high panels he'd be willing to sell (shooting the billion-to-one chance out of the water). But, it's more likely he would have something re-worked with either Bohlender-Graebener line-source planar drivers, Bohlender-Graeber individual planar drivers used to make a line array, or Monsoon planar drivers used to make a line array. Might be worth a call to him just to ask.

Easy choice, right?

Good luck,
Geoff

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom