Making a cheap ozone generator

inthefade

AK Member
I have quite a few thrift store and yard sale albums with the moldy musty basement smell. A search on AK gave me a few ideas, one I tried was Clorox disinfectant wipes. They actually clean the jackets very well without damage but after the cleaning they still smell.

Two other tips were I read was a microwave for 30-60 seconds and sealed in a container with a ozone generator. Searching the generator on google I found out I can make one for next to nothing.

Has anyone had any experience with making one? A few people basically make them with aluminum foil glass and a neon ballast or transformer. One I found was made with spark plugs. Any thoughts?

just to be aware that you are dealing with higher voltages, and they attract dust.

Just the jacket would be exposed to the generator. I'd toss the generic inner sleeve and clean the vinyl. You think the cardboard would hold a charge?

all i know is mold doesn't like fresh air and soap and water .
it loves cold damp areas ..

They didn't get the funky smell from my house. I have them separate from my collection till I get them cleaned. I'm looking for a way to get rid of it just short of the wash machine and a airing out clipped on the clothes line.

BayouTiger have you had good luck doing this? How long would it take?

Kind of funny I read today a storage unit in the North Dakota winter would take care of it also.

BayouTiger have you had good luck doing this? How long would it take?

Kind of funny I read today a storage unit in the North Dakota winter would take care of it also.

Actually I was joking, but who knows!

If you search Living Air or Alpine on eBay, there are lots to be found pretty reasonably. These units were pretty pricey via MLM, but they seem pretty reasonable on the bay.

Put them in a sealed box,with or without the discs inside, doesn't matter. Put a couple dryer sheets in the box...call me in a week. Should work well.

I didn't intentionally make ozone generator, but in making some makeshift HV capacitors using glass jars and aluminum foil I can attest they produce quite a bit of ozone.

Be careful, the NSTs I used were 12,000 or 15,000Vac @ 30mA or 60mA. The arcs produced with the glass jar capacitors across the transformer output are some nasty, noisy critters.

Last edited:
If you come across a cheap negative ion generator, most of them make ozone very well. I solve the problem, whole house, with an air knight unit, but they are expen$ive.

:D Once had an old house for sale. Heavy Musty odours in thebasement. Serious (pro) cleaning didn't help Odd cuz the basement was mostly above grade and airy and well ventilated.
Got a industrial size Ozone machine.
About the Size of a Bar fridge.
It ran day and night for 2 weeks solid. Finally gave up as it made absolutely NO difference.
Do I needs mention that there are Health Hazards with breathing Ozone ??

Yer barking up the wrong tree with this one my friend.

I didn't intentionally make ozone generator, but in making some makeshift HV capacitors using glass jars and aluminum foil I can attest they produce quite a bit of ozone.

Be careful, the transformers i was using were 12,000 or 15,000Vac @ 60mA. The arcs produced with the glass jar capacitors across the transformer output are some nasty, noisy critters.

That's what I was going to try. I'm pretty sure the transformer is 15k and was going to use a variac to tame it. I'd have to imagine the glass jars got pretty warm.

I

:D Once had an old house for sale. Heavy Musty odours in thebasement. Serious (pro) cleaning didn't help Odd cuz the basement was mostly above grade and airy and well ventilated.
It ran day and night for 2 weeks solid. Finally gave up as it made absolutely NO difference.

Thanks for the heads up but I did read about the hazards. I planned on trying outside if the others tried it and worked. I did after all read about the method here on Ak.

I have quite a few thrift store and yard sale albums with the moldy musty basement smell. A search on AK gave me a few ideas, one I tried was Clorox disinfectant wipes. They actually clean the jackets very well without damage but after the cleaning they still smell.

Two other tips were I read was a microwave for 30-60 seconds and sealed in a container with a ozone generator. Searching the generator on google I found out I can make one for next to nothing.

Has anyone had any experience with making one? A few people basically make them with aluminum foil glass and a neon ballast or transformer. One I found was made with spark plugs. Any thoughts?

It's not ozone you're after. Ozone is deadly. That fresh odor after a rainfall and in the Spring and Fall is due to natural negative ion enrichment. They are what trigger growth acceleration in the Spring and fruition in the Fall. Neg ion generators are available. Ideally, you want one with richness adjustment. Nurseries use them extensively. Stay away from ozone. It's what causes tires and rubber moldings on your car to crack. It's deadly for your lungs. Neg ion generators are made for just this purpose among others

Last edited:

What he said

This is how you want to take care of the smell http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=9033391#post9033391

You might go to ebay and look at antistatic blow off guns. Briefly, it's an HT supply connected to a spike inside the nozzle of a compressed gas source. The HT puts a charge on the gas molecules, by action at points and you can get ones that do positive, negative or (for a bit more) let you adjust the balance of charges as required.

Edited to add: I wrote the above under the mistaken assumption that you wanted to deal with static. You should probably ignore it and I should probably learn to read.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom