Guess this is my Intro

derekschroer

Hello Everyone. Signed up because I am wanting to put together the Stereo System that my parent had when I was a child. It was somewhat of of Piecemeal system. The Turntable was a Realistic LAB-500, the Amp/Receiver was a Pioneer SA-6500, Tape Deck Pioneer CT-F7070. AM/FM Tuner was a Yamaha Natural Sound T-460. Don't know what the Cabinet Speaker were, but could use some suggestions on what kind to get.

Already purchased the Tuner, and am in the middle of and Auction for the SA-6500.

This intro was also Posted in the USA Audio Mart Forums, if anyone still uses those.

Aloha!

Welcome to AK.

Sometimes, chasing a particular piece-meal system is fun. When I was a kid, I lusted after a Pioneer SX-1000TW Receiver with a Dual Turntable and Pioneer Lattice Grill Speakers with a TEAC Reel to Reel. Finally got that exact system this Spring from CL and here on Bartertown, a subscriber only area.

Good luck with your search. I'm sure that once it is done, you'll really enjoy the system. I know I certainly do.

Speakers are very "ear-dependent" and you may find that one person's suggestion do not sound good to you. I like the old Pioneer speakers because of the retro look with the lattice grills and the dynamic sound with thumping bass yet very crisp highs. Here on AK there is a lot of love for the old Realistic Speakers, and for many new brands as well. Klipsch, Infinity and others will all be recommended. I'm sure you will get suggestions, especially if you make it a separate thread with WHAT SPEAKERS, Etc. in the title.

Good luck and have fun!

-Billy

-Billy

Greetings!
Welcome to AK. What kind of music do you like to listen to and what is the size of the room that you are trying to fill with music? Also do you have a previous system and if so what was it and what did you like or not-like about it?

Do you co-habituate with a significant other that might offer a critique of your speakers? Older vintage speakers tend to be quite large and not at all consistent with modern tastes (of a certain sector of the population).

Greetings!
Welcome to AK. What kind of music do you like to listen to and what is the size of the room that you are trying to fill with music? Also do you have a previous system and if so what was it and what did you like or not-like about it?

Do you co-habituate with a significant other that might offer a critique of your speakers? Older vintage speakers tend to be quite large and not at all consistent with modern tastes (of a certain sector of the population).

This is my first venture into assembling a system. Right now all I have is my Computer setup, which is just a small Gigabyte Brix GB-BXi3-5010, hooked to a 60in Emerson TV, with an LG NBN36 Soundbar with wireless subwoofer. I do have pair of Astro A40 Headphones with an inline MixAmp.

I do have one of those Wooden vintage style Record players that include a radio, CD Player and Cassette Player.

I live by myself so, so no one to offer advice. Room is about 25' by 12'.

My taste in music ranges from Pop to Classic rock, from Alt rock to Weird Al. So my music tastes have significant variance. I like songs more than specific Genres of music, but mostly Pop style music.

So, I figured out that I was looking for the wrong Amp, We had a Technics by Panasonic SU-7100, It looks quite similar to the 6500, but the it just kept bothering me that the switches were wrong. Also my Cassette Deck was the wrong one...although it looked very similar. The correct one is the Sharp RT-1165. And I knew it was the right one after remembering more about it, mostly that there were the extra pushbuttons, and the Player controls the ones I remember. It's not fun when you're looking for something and you find something that looks almost exactly like it but is just different enough to bother you.

Consider a 3-way monitor as a speaker. The JBL L100 is probably the best known of the bunch, but not necessarily the best sounding monitor available. These monitors tend to be more forward in the mid range, consistent with your music preferences. There are many reviews of the JBL here as well as alternative manufacturers. Also note that there are many cheap knock-off speakers that call them selves monitors - so critical evaluation is necessary. This site is your best resource (search is your friend).

Back
Top Bottom