Prometheus:

I'm posting in this thread in order to be able to find it again. I love this movie and I regard it as a worthy addition to the series. The Blu-Ray edition I have has a 36 minute long section of deleted/extended scenes with commentary by one of the film's editors. It does explain a little bit more, but mostly the commentary is about why they didn't include the scenes in the theatrical release.

It does have one dialogue line where it is said that the progenitors were using the Earth as a petri dish.

It does have one dialogue line where it is said that the progenitors were using the Earth as a petri dish.

Interesting. That could mean that film script writers are somehow stating their point of view regarding the old debate between morality (or ethics) and civilization. In this case, they seem to portray a very advanced (scientific wise) civilization with ethics that could be quoted as careless or superficial (e.g., not far away from our humankind).

Last edited:
Interesting. That could mean that film script writers are somehow stating their point of view regarding the old debate between morality (or ethics) and civilization. In this case, they seem to portray a very advanced (scientific wise) civilization with ethics that could be quoted as careless or superficial (e.g., not far away from our humankind).

I should say here that with the editor's commentary activated on these deleted/extended scenes, most of those scenes dialogue was unheard by me. Given that I actually have no plan to watch those deleted/extended scenes and listen to the dialogue because many of them were purposefully deleted by Scott because he felt that they took the story in directions that he didn't wish the movie to go to(he wanted more unity between the female and male scientist lead characters and some of the scenes were of them disagreeing, for example). This is the first time I have watched any of those scenes and I only watched to hear what the editor had to say about them.

There was one other interesting comment that Vickers(Charlize Theron) wasn't aware of what David(the android) was planning.

There was one other interesting comment that Vickers(Charlize Theron) wasn't aware of what David(the android) was planning.

When I first watched the movie some time ago that was one of my first questions: is David "planning" something? How could he do that (I mean, was it something creative that escaped his human creators, like HAL in "2001..."? What is the purpose of this planning (e.g, to play some game with unaware humans?, to feel part of a planned evolution?)?

When I first watched the movie some time ago that was one of my first questions: is David "planning" something? How could he do that (I mean, was it something creative that escaped his human creators, like HAL in "2001..."? What is the purpose of this planning (e.g, to play some game with unaware humans?, to feel part of a planned evolution?)?

I'm rewatching it now(30 minutes in to the story so far). In the scene where the hologram of Weyland is informing the crew of the mission he introduces David the android as being the closest thing that he has to a son (to the annoyance of his real daughter Vickers played by Charlize). We see David give a slight smile at this comment. He in the next sentences states that David won't appreciate something because he hasn't got a soul. This David looks to be less than happy to hear.

It would seem that Ridley Scott wants us to believe that David experiences emotions. He feels in other words. There is another telling scene where they arrive at the planet and as David is putting on the space suit the male scientist Holloway asks him why he is putting on a suit since he doesn't breathe. David explains that "you people" designed him to act like them because it makes humans more comfortable to be around their own kind. Holloway says he hopes they didn't make him too much like a human. David replies "No. Thank goodness.". The terms 'you people' and the Thank goodness are meant to indicate that although like humans, David sees himself differently and is glad that he isn't human.

Recall the shots of David riding a bicycle and throwing a basketball through the hoop. We are meant to be aware that David is in many ways far superior to us. Ridley Scott is positioning David via the script and the directing to be a protagonist and antihero. David can be seen putting one of the metal cylinders containing the killer embryo into a bag and bringing it back to the ship. Let's say that he doesn't yet realise what is in the cylinder, but when he does realise that it wants to kill humans, all of them, and there are tens of thousands of the embryos, then he considers a world without humans if he can get them back to Earth.

Like Frankenstein's monster, the creation turns on it's creator.

I'm rewatching it now(30 minutes in to the story so far). In the scene where the hologram of Weyland is informing the crew of the mission he introduces David the android as being the closest thing that he has to a son (to the annoyance of his real daughter Vickers played by Charlize). We see David give a slight smile at this comment. He in the next sentences states that David won't appreciate something because he hasn't got a soul. This David looks to be less than happy to hear.

It would seem that Ridley Scott wants us to believe that David experiences emotions. He feels in other words. There is another telling scene where they arrive at the planet and as David is putting on the space suit the male scientist Holloway asks him why he is putting on a suit since he doesn't breathe. David explains that "you people" designed him to act like them because it makes humans more comfortable to be around their own kind. Holloway says he hopes they didn't make him too much like a human. David replies "No. Thank goodness.". The terms 'you people' and the Thank goodness are meant to indicate that although like humans, David sees himself differently and is glad that he isn't human.

Recall the shots of David riding a bicycle and throwing a basketball through the hoop. We are meant to be aware that David is in many ways far superior to us. Ridley Scott is positioning David via the script and the directing to be a protagonist and antihero. David can be seen putting one of the metal cylinders containing the killer embryo into a bag and bringing it back to the ship. Let's say that he doesn't yet realise what is in the cylinder, but when he does realise that it wants to kill humans, all of them, and there are tens of thousands of the embryos, then he considers a world without humans if he can get them back to Earth.

Like Frankenstein's monster, the creation turns on it's creator.

These comments on David make sense to me. So, in a sense he would be happy to cooperate with the Engineers' plans regarding the creation and later destruction of humans, at least that seems to me (David seems to have some sadistic behavior regarding humans).

Last edited:
I should say here that with the editor's commentary activated on these deleted/extended scenes, most of those scenes dialogue was unheard by me. Given that I actually have no plan to watch those deleted/extended scenes and listen to the dialogue because many of them were purposefully deleted by Scott because he felt that they took the story in directions that he didn't wish the movie to go to(he wanted more unity between the female and male scientist lead characters and some of the scenes were of them disagreeing, for example). This is the first time I have watched any of those scenes and I only watched to hear what the editor had to say about them.

In any case, these comments made me realize one aspect: the "superior" alien society in Prometheus is not portrayed as ethically advanced, as opposed to those beings in "2001: A Space Odyssey". The later are helping less developed civilizations (like ours) to evolve in a positive way, by bringing them some tools (induced evolution). Why do they do that? My answer is that they are portrayed as accepting, encouraging, educative: they want us to become like them and share their goods. This is at least my interpretation. On the other hand, the technologically and scientifically evolved aliens in Prometheus seem to be egoistic and exclusive: they don' t seem to be happy (at least in this film, maybe things would look different in later sequels) to help us humans to become like them. Actually, they seem to be quite miserable, IMHO.

Last edited:
These comments on David make sense to me. So, in a sense he would be happy to cooperate with the Engineers' plans regarding the creation and later destruction of humans, at least that seems to me (David seems to have some sadistic behavior regarding humans).

Well he obviously couldn't have a hand in the creation of humans, but he appears via the movie to be bent on the destruction of them... :scratch2:

Well he obviously couldn't have a hand in the creation of humans, but he appears via the movie to be bent on the destruction of them... :scratch2:

Touche'! I guess I meant two things but put them erroneously in one phrase: 1) the Engineers create and later decide to destroy the human species as it was an object (of their property) 2) David agrees on viewing biological species as objects and feels happy with possibility of the ending of humans.

There's another interesting scene where David and Holloway are having a conversation at the pool table. Holloway is obviously hostile toward David deriding his being a robot. David gets his revenge. He spikes Holloway's drink with the seed of the Killer's embryo.

David might be a robot, but he is self aware and has emotions and it appears doesn't like humiliation and owes no allegiances to humanity. He feels bonded to Weyland it seems but not to Weyland's species.

I'm looking forward to "Prometheus II" or whatever it will be called. Last bit I read about it, Ridley Scott is directing again.

I'd love to see some leaks about the plot, when they materialize.

I just became a little happier. I discovered AK earlier this year and now I find out there are people here who like the movie Prometheus. I have watched this several times and love the movie. Love Ridley Scott's work In General. I know people who like the alien series but could not stand this movie so you guys will be the only people I know who think otherwise other than myself. Beyond a shadow of doubt I have found an electronic home. Awesome. Thanks!:banana:

It's a great movie. The last 2 Alien movies were mediocre and it was a relief to see them come out with such a solid sequel.

Back
Top Bottom