Sansui TU 719 Problem

c4reed

Hi All
My Sansui isn't working. I turn the switch on and the main lights turn on… but the station green display and the quartz lock light doesn't do anything. stays dark.
In the past if this happened, all i had to do was push the FM button on the far right and the sound started. Which probably isn't a good thing….
Is this something thats common or fixable? I do not know where to start to troubleshoot. The previous owner said he replaced all the caps etc.
It might be out of my skill set too.

Does anyone know of someone in South Orange County caifornia that might have the skill set to look at it.

thanks in advance for all your advice.

Cheers
-chris

If you used to be able to push a button to get it to start and now you can't, get a can of contact cleaner and start using it on all the various switches. I was at an Intel conference once where the presenter from Intel said that silicon doesn't fail, connections fail. For the most part, he was right.

Check the soldering as well - no point going through a massive troubleshooting campaign when there is something obvious that can be fixed easily.

On the other hand, the display subsystem is a weak point on those because of an unreliable (after all these years...) almost unobtainable IC that goes faulty. Although recent fault finding of this fault has discovered that the crystal reference itself is often faulty, not always the nearly unobtainable IC.

Good luck with it.

@amptramp= I am going to try to deoxit the switches right now, it looks like everything is soldered but… i don't know. If I was better with a multi meter maybe I can track the power. Need to check out some youtube videos for tutorials. total rookie here.

@hyperion - Yeah maybe its the screen… would the screen issue cause no sound to come out at all? no static. no stations at all.

thanks guys for the insight.
Only had it for a month or so… :(

chris

I looked at the guts and saw nothing weird or unsoldered. Looked like everything is connected. and Sprayed the tuner switch on the right but only the top switch is open at the end.
Still nothing. No AM, No FM signal. No lights on the display.
I will continue to search the web and see if it can be fixed. Whether its me or an expert.
-c

And in my first post I mentioned that the radio would turn on if I push the button in on the right side (FM button) if the sound did not start after turning the unit on.
The green lights and Quartz lock would be on when i had that problem. Now the lights do not even go on and there is no sound.
So its a different issue probably. Just wanted to clarify.
thanks all for the time and insight
-c

Back
Top Bottom